SCALES - a cautionary tale...

Options
I just thought i would share with you all my recent experience with my scales.

As a bit of background, i am 5ft5, have lost 18lbs using MFP and am maintaining a range of 122 - 125 after gettign to my goal weight last october. i am working on a bit more 'toning' (sorry to all those who hate that word) and reducing my bf% a little so i have nice toned arms and nice definition to my stomach ready for bikini season.

up till the start of february i was weighing myself every day or every other day, and so i decided to join a february 'no scales' challenge, and didnt weigh myself for the whole of february, really just to prove i could.

so off i went, i had a very bad first week, ate a LOT and couldnt find the motivation to do any exercise due to work being super stressful, but after that i got my head right and started a new circuit training routine, and away i went, eating the right number of calories, and happily not weighing myself.

Yesterday as i was getting dressed i thought, you know what, i look pretty damn good!! i feel like some of my clothes are getting a little looser, and my engagement ring is feeling looser so i was looking forward to weighing myself on 1st march to see what the number was seeing as i was feeling quite good about things, and itching to get into my bikini!

so this morning, i hopped on the scales... OMG i was 127lbs... thats so bad, my stomach looks awful!!!!! those were the first thoughts that went through my head, even though yesterday i was more than happy with how i was!!

and that is why i wont be bothering to weigh myself any more!!! its not about a number, its about how you feel in yourself....

so please please dont just go by the number on the scales, there is so much more to it than that!!

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I like this post. I did the exact same thing in avoiding the scale for awhile as I was becoming way too obsessed. Ultimately I did gain a pound or too, but I've increased my exercise, all my clothes fit well, and I feel better than I've felt in ages.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!! is all I have to say. We all get WAY to hung up on that number from time to time, even the ones that know better :happy:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    While I'm glad you feel good about yourself I think it's better to weigh yourself occasionally than not at all. People who weigh themselves on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight. We need a hard number to counterbalance our internal filter when we look at ourselves. Ask any woman on here who has lost 50 pounds if she "sees" it when she looks in the mirror and a very large percentage of them will tell you they don't. Even women who have lost over 100 pounds will tell you that they still "see the fat girl" when they look in the mirror. The scale tells a different story, of course.

I'm not saying the scale is the only indicator of success, because it certainly isn't, but it is a tool and it shouldn't be completely ignored.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love this post!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!! is all I have to say. We all get WAY to hung up on that number from time to time, even the ones that know better :happy:

exactly!
  • madameyounger
    madameyounger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The same thing recently happened to me. After working out and cataloging my calories for two weeks I woke up feeling "skinny" so I got on the scale only to find the number has not changed an ounce! I was so frustrated I wanted to order a few pizzas and throw my scale away vowing to never work out again. I googled this problem found this post. I am going to give my scale a 1 month vacation (it certainly deserves it) and bump up my regular routine. Thanks for the idea. Keep on keeping on!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Very nice....I am currently a slave to my scale. :(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go by photos. I weigh between 5-8 pounds more than I did in October, but I look smaller and my clothes fit differently.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    good decision, yea I go by messuerments now,
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Love it!