Breakfast when on the move?

Options
Hi. I travel a lot with work and hence at present take cereal bars with me, but of course they are high in carbs and sugar especially. As a result I don't have access to a fridge and hence can't store milk so porridge for instance is not an option when travelling. Any ideas on healthier breakfasts that I can pack in my suitcase and take with me?

Thank you

Replies

• NicolaNash
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    fruit, nuts
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You could always get a lunch box with a little icepack in it and take some greek yogurt with fruit and granola, or some boiled eggs or something.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    when I travel I usually get oatmeal for breakfast... so many places are offering it now it's not hard to find... Starbucks, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Panera...
  • sophiakou
    Options
    I travel a heck of a lot too. I love my USN diet fuel shakes. On the run and fills me up. Before I know it, it's lunch. Keep some nuts in the car too. - Just don't put the whole packet in the car !! ;)
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I love the spice cake muffins someone posted on here. I make a batch and freeze the rest then when i want to take some to work i pop out the day before. Just 94 calories per muffin, i bring 2 to work. I also have a couple of recipes for cereal bars but i have not tried them yet. You could also bring oatmeal packs, just add water. That would be if you have a microwave and bowls in your hotel room (?). I will post a couple of the recipes below:

Spice cake breakfast bars
    Take just a general cake mix (preferably spice), mix in 1 cup of pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup shredded carrots and add 2 cups of dry powdered milk to the dry mix, add the water that the box calls for and bake. You will come up with a dense breakfast bar that not only is a grab and go item, but has one serving of fruit & vegetables in in, along with the nutritional value of one 8 oz serving of milk.

Change out adding coconut, chocolate chips, M&M's and other goodies for a sweetness and crunch change.

Almond-Honey Power Bar
    Great for breakfast on the go! Golden roasted nuts, seeds and oats are enveloped by flavorful almond butter in these delectably chewy, no-fuss energy bars. Unrefined turbinado sugar adds a deep caramelly undertone. Feel free to use light brown sugar instead. Bars stored at room temperature will be softer than those that are refrigerated.
    8 bars | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour (including chilling)
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
    • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    • 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
    • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    • 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal (see Note)
    • 1/3 cup currants
    • 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
    • 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
    • 1/4 cup creamy almond butter (see Note)
    • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (see Note)
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
    2. Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
    3. Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
    4. Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 244 Calories; 10 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 38 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 74 mg Sodium; 313 mg Potassium
    2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
    Tips & Notes
    • Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature.
    • Ingredient notes: For this recipe, we like unsweetened puffed multi-grain cereal, such as Kashi’s 7 Whole Grain Puffs.
    • Almond butter can be found at natural-foods stores and large supermarkets, near the peanut butter.
    • Turbinado sugar is steam-cleaned raw cane sugar. It’s coarse-grained and light brown in color, with a slight molasses flavor. Find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores.

Apricot-Walnut Cereal Bars
    Crisp and chewy, this bar is a good-for-you alternative to store-bought cereal bars. The secret ingredient, silken tofu, will give your day a protein-packed start. The recipe also works with other fruit-and-nut combinations.
    16 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours (including cooling time)
    Ingredients
    • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (about 2 ounces)
    • 3 cups unsweetened puffed-grain cereal, such as Kashi
    • 2 cups chopped dried apricots
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 12 ounces silken tofu, drained (about 1 1/3 cups)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 1 cup honey
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large (15 1/4-by-10 1/4-inch) jellyroll-style pan with cooking spray.
    2. Spread oats and walnuts on a baking sheet with sides. Bake until fragrant and light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add puffed cereal, dried apricots, flour and salt; stir to combine.
    3. Meanwhile, puree tofu, egg, oil, honey, vanilla and lemon zest in a food processor or blender until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Make a well in the center of the oat mixture; fold in the tofu mixture until combined. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
    4. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars with a sharp knife.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 306 Calories; 12 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 13 mg Cholesterol; 46 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 87 mg Sodium; 367 mg Potassium
    3 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 fat
    Tips & Notes
    • Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and defrost according to your microwave's directions.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When i travel I usually stop somewhere for oatmeal if it isn't included in my hotel's continental breakfast. Starbucks oatmeal is delicious and very filling (but you may want to hold the brown sugar topping).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I boil a bunch of eggs, peel them, and keep them in a container in the fridge. They will keep about 5 days that way. Then in the mornings, I just grab one with a piece of fruit.
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    thanks. I'm away for several days at a time though and the hotel rooms don't have a microwave or a fridge - would be much easier if they do. Therefore dairy, perishable food etc isn't an option- hence why I have been relying on cereal bars. Unfortunaltey I often get the train or fly to these places so also don't have a car to find a local starbucks etc! Its so frustrating! I can take nuts or seeds but hoping for a variety of options, especially as they are high calorie.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I like pure protein bars, they have 20g of protein, which helps keep my hunger off until lunch.
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    bump
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How about making a big batch of homemade granola and take that with you? You can pick up milk to have with it just about anywhere. Fruit is also a good option. Also protein powders are an option. I sometimes eat my oats cold like a museli, You could put 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 oz walnuts and whatever else you like in a small tupperware container and then when you're ready for breakfast add milk and eat cold.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you can, make a fresh fruit salad. Fruit like strawberries, apples, pears, peaches, pineapple are my favourites. It's natural sugar and really filling.
    xxx