How to Build stomach Muscles at home? Help

Options
Hi I want To Build Muscle in My Stomach & All Over Body But I'm A Stay At Home Mom In a little apartment Help Please My Goal Is to wear a 2 piece swim suit this year:)

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Get work out videos, do crunches, run in place, jump rope, jumping jacks, squats. Go outside for a run! The exercises you can do at home are endless!!
  • deliak2010
    Options
    bump :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Get work out videos, do crunches, run in place, jump rope, jumping jacks, squats. Go outside for a run! The exercises you can do at home are endless!!

Agreed. Just do circuits of jumping jacks, squats, lunges, push ups, planks, burpees, etc.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try this workout: http://www.self.com/flat-abs-guide/on-your-feet-ab-firmers-slideshow#slide=1

I definitely feel it, and even better it has improved my balance by quite a lot.
  • ronniekh
    ronniekh Posts: 35
    Options
    Abs are always a good choice but also planks! Abs are almost always done incorrectly so it's important to know it's only really effective if you keep your spine neutral and don't bend your neck. You can raise the intensity by putting your arms up straight, elbows by ears and hands up. Come up about 45 degrees and reverse abs to but don't swing those legs.
    Good Luck dear :) Hope this helps.
  • Divamomma
    Divamomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank You All You Are Wonderful Whats The Correct Way To Do Crunches??
  • Niftygirl16
    Options
    Not sure where you live or what you have for a cable service, but there are alot of free exercise videos with the "On Demand" function on your TV. They have everything from 10 minute to 30 minute ab routines. when I have some free time I'll do one of those for variety.

As someone else said, planks are REALLY good!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm specifically looking for something to work the obliques. I use the Swiss ball for upper and lower abs, but the only Swiss ball excercise I know of that's supposed to be for obliques just doesn't work for me. I've even tried it with the help of a trainer, but it just feels awkward and I end up feeling the burn in the leg that's supporting my weight instead of in my abs. Any ideas?
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    bump
  • Niftygirl16
    Options
    Have you tried a side plank? Great for the obliques. Other than just holding that position, you can tap your hip 10 times towards the end.

I like "Russian Twists" as well. You sit on the floor with your legs bent at a 90 degree angle (you can raise your feet off the floor or keep them on the floor). With either a medicine ball or light weight held at your chest, rotate from side to side. Try to keep your lower half from moving.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a side plank? Great for the obliques. Other than just holding that position, you can tap your hip 10 times towards the end.

I like "Russian Twists" as well. You sit on the floor with your legs bent at a 90 degree angle (you can raise your feet off the floor or keep them on the floor). With either a medicine ball or light weight held at your chest, rotate from side to side. Try to keep your lower half from moving.

I tried a side plank last night....that was downright comical. I still weigh 260lbs, so I used most of my strength and energy just trying to get into position. Once I made it, I lasted all of three seconds. LOL I plan to keep trying that one, though...eventually I'll get strong enough to be able to hold myself up so that it's effective. I've done Russian twists on the Swiss ball before, but I'd forgotten about those. I'll have to get myself a medicine ball. Thanks.
  • ronniekh
    ronniekh Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank You All You Are Wonderful Whats The Correct Way To Do Crunches??

When you do a crunch you want to keep your spine neutral the entire time, you don't want it to bend and you only want to come up about 30-45 degrees, nothing more. You should never bend your neck your head should stay neutral with your eyes looking straight into the ceiling. Always exhale coming up and inhale going back down.
  • Duckiegrl
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for this idea. My main goal is to tone and tighten primarily my stomach so this will be fun to try!

Wishing you all the luck with your goals!

Sincerely,
    Krysta
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was gonna get started but I'm too sleepy. But to answer your question:

Squats.

When you've mastered the squat, you won't need to do crunches anymore. To sum up, if you mastered your core lifts, (and by core I don't mean the over marketed product selling nonsense word that means your mid section,) but your basic fundamental compound movements of squatting, pressing, deadlifting,and rowing, you won't need ab work. For one, the abdominal wall is hard to build up. You probably won't build it enough to notice anytime soon, especially while eating at a deficit which means, for 99.9% of people, that they are not giving their muscles adequate energy or nutrition to grow or recover. Yes you can do 8 billion things to get a burn, but so can the shake weight. I would say not to even worry about it, and take the time you'd waste on the much coveted "abs" region and do real work for your body. Showing ab muscles or getting a flat stomach is a matter of 90 percent dietary protocol, and 10 percent workout.

A proper crunch...just don't swing too hard and don't tuck your chin. Imagine you're holding a grapefruit under your chin and you don't want to drop it. Otherwise, just slightly curl up enough to get your upper back off of the ground. Curl like you're trying to wrap your chest bone around a basketball you're holding on your stomach.

And stay away from the much marketed"watch me try to render my spine and everything else unstable workout balls" ....because contrary to popular nonsense of "hey you like bouncy balls buy this one because your "core" has to work harder to stabilize you while you do this or that exercise" marketing guru crap, stability is the first thing you need as a beginner, intermediate, or advanced practitioner.

Yes I love run on sentences.
  • stephiisings
    stephiisings Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaGoos
    MamaGoos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try it modified by keeping one knee on the ground to help support your weight. The outer leg extended, then bring your arm down beneath you. and then reach it back to the sky it is an awesome reach.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

"Russian Twists" I'm going to give this a go too. I might put a bottle of Smirnoff just in view to help me focus on making those twists. :wink:

That could be my new rule no Voddy without doing a few Rusian twists first!

I should blow up my new Swiss ball and get moving, it's been sitting in its box for 3 weeks. You have all reminded me why I purchased it.

:bigsmile:
  • Divamomma
    Divamomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your all awesome thank You!!