New moms? Losing the baby weight

Options
Hi, I"m kittykathy1. I have a four month old and an extra spare tire as a result. I"m nursing, trying to figure out how best to balance diet, exercise, time with friends and family and of course raising my baby. I would love to meet some mommies who are trying to get fit. We could share successes with our kids and ourselves.
Nice to meet you all.
KK

Replies

• eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm any help. As of this week I've decided to temporarily stop logging food. I'm starving all the time and no matter how healthy I try to eat and how I try to keep to my calories for maintenance plus 500 extra for nursing, I'm still starving all the time and it is making me grouchy and irritable and hard to concentrate. So I'm just going to eat as best as I can but not log because logging was making me discouraged when I would see myself go over. I can't let myself be that hungry all the time so I'm just throwing the diet out the window for now (I'll come back to it later when I start getting a better grasp on my hunger).

For exercise though you could try getting a baby carrier and go for walks with baby. I use a Baby K'tan carrier. Since you're carrying the extra weight of the baby you should actually burn more calories than walking without baby. I've been doing that sometimes. I also have some 10 minute strength videos that I will try to do when she is napping. Some days though I don't really get a chance to even do that much if she is wanting to be held all day (I don't want to do strength training with her in the carrier, that doesn't seem safe).

I have a 2 yr old in addition to the baby. If I need to distract him while I'm doing one of those videos I turn on a cartoon in the next room where I can still see him and that usually keeps him out of trouble long enough. Sometimes though he tries to mimic the exercise video so that is an additional bonus that he is exercising too! He has way more energy than me though! Why can't I have the energy of a 2 yr old?
  • ashli_rose
    Options
    Well my baby isn't quite new haha He is 14 months old now :) But I am trying to lose the baby weight as well! I was 115 and lookin gooood......then I pregnant haha. My goal now is to lose 35 lbs and get back into my athletic shape. I do P90X for my workout and my son loves to watch me and tries to do some of it too haha but he does get in the way sometimes. I also go walking/running. I, unfotunately, currently have my son 50% of the time (every other week). However that does make working out a little easier. If you have somebody to watch the baby while you work out that might be good. Or, as you said, work out while the baby is napping. They also have gyms that offer child care for members while they workout. Add me if ya wanna :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, mine's not new any more, since she's 18 months now, but I remember struggling with the new baby issues like breastfeeding, working out, and all that other good stuff. Actually, I'm still having fun with juggling breastfeeding, working out, and all that good stuff, haha. Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • oburley89
    oburley89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a 14 month also. I usually do my p90x workout while she's down for her nap (usually between 2-3 hours). My husband works ALL day during the week, so it's just me and her. I also have a jogging stroller, so i get in some good cardio too when we're outside.
  • ekalieta
    ekalieta Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a 4 1/2 month old! I going through the same thing as you. I pump for her but i'm slowly stopping that and putting her on formula because my supply is going down =( but i'm trying to eat pretty healthy. I try to take walks out side when it's nice or play some basketball when the baby sits in the stroller. I have also started doing work out videos. The baby takes a nap in the morning so that's when I do the 30 min. video. I have been doing it for 3 days so far and all is good.
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    I have a new baby too! She's five weeks old now, and I am ready to get rid of this weight! I went way overboard during my pregnancy. I have about 40 lbs to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, plus another 10 to get where I really want to be. I find it so hard to find any time to do anything! She isn't on much of a schedule since she's so young. I'm starting back to work now too, so I'm trying to balance breastfeeding, work, school, baby, and fitness/nutrition. Breastfeeding makes me STARVING! The weather has been kind of crappy here lately too, so I can't really go out with her. Feel free to add me too though! I need the support and motivation.