South Beach Diet

Options
Grammymax
Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
Is anyone on here at the beginning of the SB Diet? I just started today and wondered how others feel about it.

Replies

• Grammymax
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread just in case there is someone out there on phase I of South Beach who wants to share.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I did start it. It wasn't something I could continue because of the cooking and specifics it required... but good luck on it!
  • bjd42
    bjd42 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am in phase 1, it seems pretty easy for me. I started last week and hit a bump monday with a big mac - but that was definatly avoidable, just didn't feel like it at the time. I bought the latest copy of the book and it has great recipies and sections called "my south beach" with various testomonials, etc.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is actually something I've been looking into lately, but I cant seem to fine a lot of info about it. Sounds like its very similar to atkins. Is it?
  • hungrybear
    hungrybear Posts: 45
    Options
    I was on it for a month for last year. It was pretty easy to start because it doesn't involve counting calories, and you can snack as much as you want as long as it's not bad carbs. Once you get used to avoiding certain food, you get used to it. I lost about 4-5lbs in phrase 1, and then I started going on the phrase 2. To me phrase 2 was harder, because once I start putting back carbs into my diet, I went crazy on it. It was like "oh my gosh, how did I ever give up this and that"...and then I gained it back slowly. It is a nice diet if you have the motivation and determination, otherwise, it's pretty hard to keep it...well, at least for me. Another thing nice about it is that, you can always go back to phrase 1 when you feel the need to. =)

GOODLUCK!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Goochinator: Wow - is that a picture of you and your friends :wink: SB is not like Atkins because I think Atkins has you cut out a lot of the veggies too and you eat TONS of meat. This is pretty balanced you just have to give up fruits in the first phase and then gradually work them back in.

hungrybear: That's what I'm afraid of but because my daughter (who has NO WILL POWER normally) lost 30 pounds I thought I'd try it.

bjd42: I understand the falling to temptation. I do well if I'm home but when Im out it is harder.
    Do you think the new book has any newer/easier recipes than the original?

I feel good after 3 days but I did notice today that I didn't have normal energy to workout. I don't think I"m eating enough. I like a lot of the recipes but also find some with ingredients that I don't normally buy. I think I'm getting the hang of how to eat "clean"? Trying to stay away from the bad carbs, sugar, chips, etc. It helps that my hubby said he'd do it with me and if he felt like eating something I couldn't he'd do it when I'm not around. :heart: He doesn't have a problem with weight but it can help with other health issues as well.

If any of you want to keep supported each other I'll keep this thread going. I keep watching it to see if you want to keep it going.

Thanks again,
    Esther
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 36
    Options
    for me,South Beach is a great way to "re-set" your taste buds.
    It takes out breads and sweets, and gets you use to a leaner
    diet.

I've done it twice-- first time for over a month (going thru the phases as
    the diet suggests), then this past spring I did the first phase(two weeks) just to get
    rid of the desire for the heavy winter foods.

that's how i've use it... I don't find it hard to follow
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Also you need to do low intensity workout b/c high impact use carbo and when there isn't any it will use your muscles for energy. If you do low intensity it will use fat as energy......
    I am going to switch to high protein low carbo diet so I 'm doing the reasearch on it..
  • Grammymax
    Options
    That explains why my workout is so much more difficult this week. That makes sense. Be careful of the high protein low carb though. I've heard it causes your organs to shut down if you get too intense with it. I've also heard that it harms the muscles...and the heart is a muscle. I think that's what I heard but I'll go back and check.

I do like the South Beach because once I start adding a "little" carbs it's going to be easier to follow for life. And I do like the idea of being able to go back to the 1st phase to get focused again. I need something to follow.

Thanks for all your comments.
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Heart is muscle. Dang! It's good that I know it.. I counted I ate 70 carb yesterday.. that's not bad..
    I don't want to go to keto.. stage.
  • bjd42
    Options
    I purchased the South Beach Diet Book that has a shiny blue soft cover published in 2003, so it may be the first edition. I find it pretty easy, however I did learn a lesson yesterday. I am an avid cyclist and I had not ridden any long distances since cutting the carbs. Yesterday I went off the plan and had my typical breakfast for a long ride (100 miles). A big bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit. Well, I guess my gyclogen stores were not up to par, I had a hard time half way through the ride and only ended up finishing 70 miles. They say not to change anything you are doing when approching a big event or ride. I didn't feel the toll on my energy until I tried the bike ride.
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    It's a hard lesson at least you did not get anyone to carry you home or went somewhere in the jungle...
    stuck that have to call emergency so the helicopter have to pick you up.
    My ex -coworker could not make it on her hike so helicoper has to pick her up... I think she was dehydrated.. she was on SB diet
  • Grammymax
    Options
    The blue cover dated 2003 is the one I have also.

Do you follow the meal plan to the dot or do you switch meals (breakfast from one day, lunch from another, etc)? I find that I"m getting bored with the breakfasts.
  • bjd42
    Options
    I have not followed the plan menu's specifically, I pick from the allowed foods. I do like eggs so that helps. I miss my cereal and oatmeal. I definatly miss eating fruit liberally. I'll probabaly introduce carbs again this week, I've got a 160 mile bike ride on Saturday - I'll need it.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Atkins, which is similar to South Beach.

South Beach and Atkins are easy to me because you eat protein, veggies and then add in your fruits, then eventually add in some grains and etc.............

You are merely taking out the refined foods, which no one needs anyway.

It gets easier, the first 2 weeks are the hardest.

Here is a link stating how Dr's are changing their tune and attitude towards the lower carb diet.....

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/video.aspx?vid=ff167fb8-356d-44fc-a1ba-d3ef106aaafc&tab=MSNBC.com