Shin Splints??

Options
Anyone have experience with this? My shins have started hurting pretty bad when I jog, and it upsets me. Hehe.

But yeah, even for the last couple of days, while i'm just walking I can feel a dull pain.

Anyone think I should go see a Dr? Or maybe it's just my body getting used to the extra stress?

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Anyone have experience with this? My shins have started hurting pretty bad when I jog, and it upsets me. Hehe.

But yeah, even for the last couple of days, while i'm just walking I can feel a dull pain.

Anyone think I should go see a Dr? Or maybe it's just my body getting used to the extra stress?
  • Autopsy
    Autopsy Posts: 2
    Options
    i ran cross country i high school. unfortunately there's nothing you can do about those, except take time off. try to do cardio some other way.... swimming would be ideal. also, make sure you get some good running shoes when you do decide to get back to jogging/running/walking. my advice would be to go to a running store and buy them there. a lot of times they can examine your running style and recommend a specific shoe for your style. believe me the extra money you will spend is soooo worth it.

good luck!
  • annieka
    annieka Posts: 3
    Options
    yeah I get shin splints too bad. But this last time when I got them they went away after about a week. Even when I still worked out. So I bet they'll go away. I've gotten them alot. Since high school even so don't worry I'll bet they'll go away. And like that other person said good running shoes will help. The Nike shoes with the springs are awsome. Very expensive but well worth the buck. I think the cheepest I've ever seen them is90 bucks so good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • sa3whitt
    sa3whitt Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the solution!!! I always used to get shin splits - but no more!! :) I am so excited to share this secret. Before going for that run, tap your toes 20-25 times - this warms up the shin and prevents that pain we all dread the next day!! Let me know if this works for you. I could never run before. Good Luck.
    Sarah
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I agree with Sarah. Pretty much any kind of stretching is going to help get rid of shin splints. I also know that you can kneel, then sit on your feet until you feel the stretch in the front of your leg. You can do this before you do any kind of running or walking and also now (it should lessen the pain you are feeling from your current shin splints). Hope it helps!:happy:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Go to this website for more details:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Shin splints is the general name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. Shin splints is not a diagnosis in itself but a description of symptoms of which there could be a number of causes. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). Traction forces occur from the muscles of the lower leg on the periostium causing shin pain and inflammation.

Shin Splints Treatment: Treatment for shin splints is a simple as reducing pain and inflammation, identifying training and biomechancial problems which may have helped cause the injury initially, restoring muscles to their original condition and gradually returning to training.

What can the athlete do about shin splints? Rest to allow the injury to heal. Apply ice or cold therapy in the early stages, particularly when it is very painful. Cold therapy reduces pain and inflammation.
    Stretch the muscles of the lower leg. In particular the tibialis posterior is associated with shin splints.
    Wear shock absorbing insoles in shoes. This helps reduce the shock on the lower leg. Maintain fitness with other non weight bearing exercises such as swimming, cycling or running in water.
    Apply heat and use a heat retainer or shin and calf support after the initial acute stage and particularly before training. This can provide support and compression to the lower leg helping to reduce the strain on the muscles. It will also retain the natural heat which causes blood vessels to dilate and increases the flow of blood to the tissues.
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Options
    Stretch really, really until you get tired of doing it. My daughter used to play basketball. She told me a way to stretch out your calves-walk around on your heels, with toes pointed up. Stretch out your calves by standing away from a wall, and leaning towards it. Stand as far away as you can take. I hope this helps. It does take some time to get over the pain. Your legs will get into shape, and it won't hurt so much. Good luck-Chris.
  • lesliemassage
    Options
    I find that massage really helps speed up the healing process. It's not fun at first, but afterwards you'll feel a lot of relief. Try putting Biofreeze or Tiger Balm on them. That should help with the discomfort.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I get them too, and have found that easing more slowly into jogging if it's been awhile and decreasing my stride during brisk walking helps until my muscles get more used to things.

An exercise I've heard of, which I think helped me, is to stand with your toes on the edge of a curb and go up on your toes, then come down until your heels are a little below the curb.
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    I know you've received lots of replies, but I get them, too. Here is what helps me in addition to stretching before a workout. Walk for 30 seconds on your heels at a slow pace. Then 30 seconds on your toes at a slow pace. This will also help stretch and warm the muscle beforehand!
  • monicakelly21
    Options
    I used to get shin splints really bad as well. I got prescription orthotics, and I haven't had shin splints since. Maybe you should look into it...
    I am a waitress in the summer and I used to get the worst shin splints ever.....now that I have more support for my arches I don't get shin splints.
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Stretching is definately the key, but I have personally found that when I start getting shin splints, it's time for new shoes. And don't skimp on them...buy the more expensive ones and have someone fit you. Shoe salesmen at stores like FootLocker are trained to know what kinds of shoes are best for your feet. I myself have nearly no arches, so I have to be very careful about the fitness shoes that I buy. Trust me, I've paid the price many times for trying to buy cheaper shoes or ones that are on clearance or something. I will never do it again!
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor about a month back with shin splints... we're talking walking up in the middle of the night screaming shin splints. He instructed me no running for about 10 days and when I was going to start running again I needed to start out on the treadmill or paded running surface so it would help the impact. Also he suggested stretching out the calf muscles better before and after running and iceing immeadiately after I run. You can also take a SUPER hot bath and let them soak and start massaging them while in the tub... but i promise you this does hurt!!! All I know is I followed this advice and my legs actually like me again!!!

Amanda is extremely right!!! Shoes make all the difference in the world... my husband actually found a website that can help you find the right shoes for you! i think it's roadrunnersports.com you go to their website, and click on the shoe dog... it will ask you all sorts of questions about your feet and then it will find the right shoes for you... all i did was get their recommendations then went to my local shoe store and tried them all on and picked the one I liked best!!!:flowerforyou:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    There are muscles in your shin area you can work which will help. Many time these muscles fatigue easily and can be the greatest source of pain. I do not know the exact name of the muscle (Dorsal something or other) If you go to a gym and they have a seated calf raise piece of equipment you can do the opposite of a calf extenesion,

Place you heels on on the support and let your toes dip below the support. Use about half od the weight you would use onyour calf.

Many Football player are extensivly working this muscle now to improve there speed,quickness and endurance for running