Clean Eating

Options
Im curious what exactly is "Clean Eating", is it a Vegan diet? also, does Clean eating allow for a larger calories intake because of the types of food I imagine you eat when you eat clean?

any experts out there?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I've read it comes down to minimally processed foods; avoiding products containing preservatives, added sugars etc and (if you're an omnivore) eating grass fed, hormone free beef, free range chicken, avoiding farmed fish.

Slightly OT but I'm trying to move towards a "cleaner" diet - it's kind of disturbing when a 2 week old load of bread still appears reasonably fresh, you have to wonder what's in it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It really just means choosing the most natural, minimally processed foods as possible, closest to their most natural state. So the spectrum would be something like:

chicken mcnugget: way unclean
    boneless skinless chicken breast: fairly clean, but still processed
    whole chicken: very clean (but a purist would probably argue that you should have raised and killed the chicken yourself)

When I first started out I tried my best to eat fairly clean. It was a good way to stay mindful about food. At this stage, I don't really care too much about clean eating, but I do tend to go for things with less ingredients, less artificial stuff. And I have absolutely no qualms about eating ANYTHING as long as it fits into my overall nutrition goals.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Clean Eating" is a term that divides foods into categories of "good" and "bad," and says that the "bad" foods are off limits. Which foods go in which category depends on who you ask.

My opinion is that this is a silly way to think about food. Very few foods are inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy" outside of the context of the overall diet. Most things can be fit, in some amount, into an overall health diet.

To answer your second question, no you can't eat more. A calorie is a calorie, in terms of weight loss. However, eating more low calorie things like vegetables will help you feel like you're eating more.
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I've read it comes down to minimally processed foods; avoiding products containing preservatives, added sugars etc and (if you're an omnivore) eating grass fed, hormone free beef, free range chicken, avoiding farmed fish.

Slightly OT but I'm trying to move towards a "cleaner" diet - it's kind of disturbing when a 2 week old load of bread still appears reasonably fresh, you have to wonder what's in it.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I want to do!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

How so?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Pretty much this! Lots have their own definitions and cut out more things then others. My definition is "if it didn't grow in the ground or have a mother I shouldn't eat it". I follow this rule 90% of the time. Gotta have some indulgences :happy: As for the calories you still have to count them. They do add up.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

How so?

Someone took it off the chicken, cut it up, cleaned it, often inject it with some salty water, etc. This is why "clean" eating is dumb. Unless you live on a farm, raise your own livestock, grow your own veggies, everything can be labeled "unclean".
  • Charliesuccess
    Options
    [/quote]
    To answer your second question, no you can't eat more. A calorie is a calorie, in terms of weight loss. However, eating more low calorie things like vegetables will help you feel like you're eating more.
    [/quote]
    Ok so you get no bonus calories for "clean food" good to know!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It really just means choosing the most natural, minimally processed foods as possible, closest to their most natural state. So the spectrum would be something like:

whole chicken: very clean (but a purist would probably argue that you should have raised and killed the chicken yourself)

When I first started out I tried my best to eat fairly clean. It was a good way to stay mindful about food. At this stage, I don't really care too much about clean eating, but I do tend to go for things with less ingredients, less artificial stuff. And I have absolutely no qualms about eating ANYTHING as long as it fits into my overall nutrition goals.
    Not that this should come as a huge surprise, since he usually is, but Taso is correct and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Also, if I drop my food on the ground, I try to brush off any little dust bunnies to make sure I am eating clean(ish) food.
  • Charliesuccess
    Options

Thanks Taso
  • Charliesuccess
    Options
    Not that this should come as a huge surprise, since he usually is, but Taso is correct and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Also, if I drop my food on the ground, I try to brush off any little dust bunnies to make sure I am eating clean(ish) food.
    [/quote]

LOL
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Whenever I refer to clean eating I just mean eating and choosing foods that are as close to their 'natural' as possible.

This is highly subjective and... I've found really, really dependant on my available time!

Right now I'm working 3 days a week and in 4th year University as well as being a Mom to 2 tweens. So for now, cleaner eating is trying to use short-cut ingredients which still allow me to pull together meals. Trying to make the best food choices I can of the restaurant options out there when we resort to fast food (Subway over Quiznos) and being careful to not consume my calories in drinks.

I kind of include exercise in the clean eating. These days its parking at the back of the parking lot, walking laps through the university between classes, and time on the treadmill because I can read and walk.

In the past it meant cycling for transportation, etc. Right now my asthma's been really bad so I cycle but not for transportation!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You can't eat more calories, but since switching to minimally processed I am able to eat a larger volume of food because from my experience minimally processed foods tend to be less calorie dense. Focusing on eating a diet full of lean proteins, healthy fats, vegetables and some fruit has made me feel way more satisfied and energized. You have less of a chance of overeating when you are eating foods that aren't so calorie dense because you're going to reach that full feeling without as many calories.

Don't get me wrong, I treat myself to a fatty, greasy bacon cheeseburger, a pint of beer and some ice cream every once in a while too. It really all falls back to moderation in the long run. I don't think its healthy to completely deprive yourself of foods that you enjoy. I use them more as an incentive now to work out hard and eat healthy 80-90% of the time so that I can splurge 10-20% of the time.

Also, losing weight and being healthy are not synonymous. And while a calorie is a calorie, different types of food can lead to other healthy issues.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't drop the food on the floor, then I would consider it clean.

I personally don't categorize food as good or bad, but there are many food choices that are bad choices because of their terrible macronutrient ratios. Therefore, those food choices might not be the best to utilize.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Someone took it off the chicken, cut it up, cleaned it, often inject it with some salty water, etc. This is why "clean" eating is dumb. Unless you live on a farm, raise your own livestock, grow your own veggies, everything can be labeled "unclean".
    [/quote]

That is why it is important to read labels. We don't buy chicken that has salt water injected. We try to buy from stores that support locar farming.
    There are times when this is not possible and we just try to eat as clean as possible (unprocessed, natural, organic, no artificial colors, fillers, etc). Also, if you can't pronounce the ingredients, it might not be "clean"
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I interpert clean eating as trying to eat the least amount of "processed foods". If you get a chance, google Tosca Reno's clean eating-she has several books out on clean eating/foods, etc. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Whole chicken can still be injected with the saline solution and be fed antibiotic food and steroids before butchering. Gotta watch those labels!!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ok so you get no bonus calories for "clean food" good to know!
    No bonus calories, but lots of other bonuses. If you buy your produce locally, it will almost surely be much fresher and higher in nutrients than what you can find in the grocery store. If you buy your meat directly from the farmer, you know that the cows and pigs and chickens were actually raised outside, eating their natural diets, and not injected with hormones or antibiotics. The eggs will [most likely] be free from salmonella, the beef from E. Coli, and the chicken from listeria.
  • fooduciary
    Options
    Clean eating is avoiding foods that have been denatured by processing. This includes adding scientifically created preservatives, flavors, and sweeteners. A vegan diet by definition does not include any concept of being clean; it's only a matter of avoiding animal products while still being allowed a bag of Doritos (not clean).

No, it does not try to categorize foods as 'healthy' and others and 'not healthy.' It's a guideline. You're simply looking for food that's as close to natural as possible. Any food, animal or plant, that has been raised with chemical inputs (pesticides for plants or hormones for animals) would not be clean. The same is true for the processing of that food, whether turning that wheat into a loaf of Wonder bread (35 ingredients = not clean) or a chicken into a McNugget (is that really chicken?).

And the fact that many people on here are saying a calorie is a calorie is disappointing to read. 500 calories of spinach or kale does not equate to 500 calories of cookies, even in regards to losing or gaining weight. The main focus of clean eating is nutrient density...how much good do those 500 calories do for your body. It's nearly impossible to overeat on vegetables, while we all know that can't be said for junk food.

The cleanest foods of course are organic vegetables, followed by legumes, then fruits and finally whole grains. If you're meals are focused on those products in that order, with just a small portion of your plate for animal products (meat, dairy, etc), you'll have a hard time not achieving and maintaining your ideal weight.