Don't lose then drop.....

Options
So, I'm curious as to why my body does what it does....I weigh every day and my weight usually stays around the same for a week or two and then all of a sudden I weigh and start dropping 3-4 lbs within 2 days. is that normal? I have lost 4 lbs in the last few days. This has been consistent with my weight loss since the beginning.

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It seems like that was always the case for me, too. I don't think it's unusual.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just take it and run...LOL.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That's basically how it works for me. What I see is a big drop, followed by a little increase, then hover slightly higher than my lowest point, followed by another big drop.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yep pretty normal
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight it was a steady slow loss. But this time I have been doing that no loss for a while, then a sudden drop.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Happens to me - I chalk it up to my body adjusting itself and I find I lose inches during that slight gain/stall - then drop. Enjoy it and as long as you are doing what you should, you will be fine :)
  • AChristopher09
    Options
    That article was a pretty interesting read, thanks for that! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! yay for weighloss! I'm only 3lbs away from a 60lb loss and I'm ecstatic!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, too :)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Mine did that when I first started, but it was always right after my period I lost.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I would stay the same for a couple of weeks, then have a nice loss. It all evens out in he end. I hit my goal in January and when I calculated my loss per week, it was about a lb a week, what I had it set on.
  • Hannekve
    Hannekve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weight myself often out of curiousity, and I see the same thing. If I exercise hard I don't see the weight loss untill after the muscle soreness is gone. Hormones also play a part, I weight a couple of ponds more at the beginning of TOM.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I think it's the norm. Lyle McDonald calls them wooshes. I call them tectonic shifts. :happy:
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think we hear so much about the mathematics of weight loss that we forget that our bodies are not calculators. Subtracting X for Y days does not necessarily equal Z weight loss. We need to be patient and focus on healthy living in the long term, and the numbers will do their dance, trending downward over time.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how my losses have been every single week, of every single month, for the past 6 months (53 lbs of loss so far)

My week tends to be like:

1-2 days of losses ranging from 1-4 lbs;
    2-5 days of hovering at the lowest weight
    1 day above the lowest weight....

Then rinse, and repeat, I'll "whoosh" down another few pounds.

It's not always exactly in that pattern, but I don't lose 1/2 pound, etc most of the time.. mine almost always is coming off in 1-2 lb increments. I rarely ever see a drop of a few ounces, or whatever. It's strange..but during the days I am lingering I just keep on going and know that it will drop eventually if I've been consistent...

I also have noticed my losses tend to mostly follow one of my higher calorie days (I zigzag to a degree) and/or days off from working out. Which after reading that article, and from what I suspected, did have to do with hormones and/or water retention.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Same for me... It is frustrating to see a low number on the scale and then see it go right back up the next day even after doing everything "right". I have realized that I see a larger number after a few days of doing less cardio.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I only weigh in once a week, but this is my pattern for the last month: Lose 4lbs, gain 2 lbs, lose 1 lb, gain 2lbs (TOM) ...... but I am still below my original weight from the previous month start. So I average a loss of about a one lb a week which is my goal. Its just the way my body works!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's like a Mambo:

two steps forward, one step back
    one step forward, two steps back

but over a period of time it trends downward.