Replies

• patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    April 2010 C25K Graduate, did my first half marathon in Sept 2011!

C25K definitely changed my life. It was really hard for me to start--I remember telling my boyfriend, who I had just started dating, that I was "allergic" to running when he asked me to train for a race with him. But, I found C25K and pushed myself to stick to it and it changed my life. Week 5 was really hard for me, but I remember reading an article saying that that was the week where people either dropped out or made it through and I was determined to keep it up. I'm a slow runner. I started out with 13:30 miles and now run between 11-12:30, but I love that running is only a competition with yourself and making yourself better. I firmly believe that if I could make myself into a runner, anyone who really wants to can.

I REALLY agree with the people who suggested getting fit for shoes by a professional. Don't want to hurt you knees. Keep it up! I'll add you! :)
  • ereedy61
    ereedy61 Posts: 15
    Options
    How do I find the C25K group on here? I want to be a "runner" but after so many start and stop attempts I wonder if it can be done. Tonight I am going to attempt day 1 of week 1 at the gym. I can fast walk til the cows come home..but quickly become short of breath trying to run..I feel my feet dont land correctly and my shins hurt quickly. Would love to experience "the love of running" that others speak of but have yet to find that "Love". However, I need to figure it out. Turned 50 this year...and well, what they say is happening...every little ache and pain, and sneaky pounds coming up...I dont like it one bit!! So....I really WANT to be a runner. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I, like you, used to be a powerful softball player. I was even the top ceded catcher in our county. I believed I could never be a runner.. I'd say I was built for power, not speed.. or my knees won't let me do it.. but that's bunk. Now flash forward 22 years.. A friend of mine wanted to try C25K and I went along with it to prove her wrong. 12 weeks later (even though we began the program as it turned to Winter) I was able to run a 5K. It was awesome. Then I began training for a half marathon. It was even more awesome! I dropped almost 50 pounds and 10-12 clothes sizes! I wasn't even that small in high school! I took two weeks off after the half marathon in October, and now I'm training for two Warrior Dashes. I'm up 9 pounds of muscle, still in a size 4, and I run faster than ever! I say go for it.. it does get better, and it feels wonderful!
  • sallgood2010
    sallgood2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :happy: What is C25K? I have been wanting to run for a while but have to take it really slow...What would be some really good suggestions for starting at the very beginning?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How do I find the C25K group on here? I want to be a "runner" but after so many start and stop attempts I wonder if it can be done. Tonight I am going to attempt day 1 of week 1 at the gym. I can fast walk til the cows come home..but quickly become short of breath trying to run..I feel my feet dont land correctly and my shins hurt quickly. Would love to experience "the love of running" that others speak of but have yet to find that "Love". However, I need to figure it out. Turned 50 this year...and well, what they say is happening...every little ache and pain, and sneaky pounds coming up...I dont like it one bit!! So....I really WANT to be a runner. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!
    If your shins hurt with just a little running, it's possibly the shoes you're wearing. They really shouldn't hurt unless you have some sort of injury. One motivator might be a new pair of running shoes, professionally fitted. You don't need to spend a fortune, but the right shoes can make all of the difference in the world. Also see my advice earlier in this thread.

It was my 45th birthday last year (I turn 46 tomorrow) that motivated me to lose some pounds and start running, so I understand where you're coming from. It's harder from this side of 30 but don't let that deter you!

ETA: C25K is short for Couch to 5K. It's a running program. The C25K group on MFP is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon to feel uncomfortable the first part of your run, your heart rate eventually adjusts to the effort and levels out. This can be seen if you wear a heart rate monitor. It's actually a great way to make sure you are putting out the right level of effort. Garmin makes many models at all different price points. Many allow you to download your workout data to your computer to track your progress. I never work out without one. Sporttracks is a great program for tracking your workout data, and you can download Garmin data directly into the program.

As many have said, start easy and work up slowly. Don't worry about speed til you've been running for three to six months. Right now just acclimate your body to running regularly, no matter how short the distance. And don't feel bad about stopping to walk. Many people actually complete marathons with a plan to run and walk throughout.

I hit my 40's and realized I was about 30lbs overweight. I started running short distances and kept at it all year, despite the winter weather. When i first started, i considered 6 miles a really long run and I always dreaded those days. I always wanted to someday run a marathon but wasn't sure I could do it. But I ran my first marathon at 41 in 2007 and just kept going. I will be running Boston marathon for the third year in a row on April 16th. It's amazing what is possible when you put the effort in. Don't give up. It's all about persistence and miles.