Anyone else 5'5 127lbs? 1200 calories per day enough??

Options
Is there anyone out there that is around the same size as me? I'm 5'5 and I currently weigh 127 pounds. When I first started dieting and working out 2 years ago I weighed around 140 pounds so I'm really happy where I'm at today.

I feel like 1200 calories in a day isn't enough for me and I wanted to compare our food diaries. I'm very active and workout 3 times a week doing cardio and strength training and with doing this I feel like my body needs more "good calories" like protein but they are higher in calories. I've been struggling with the 1200 calories and its getting me so discouraged I find myself not caring about what I snack on. I still do try to keep it under the 1200 but yesterday I had 3 chocolate chip cookies to snack on at lunch which I never do and I haven't worked out all week. :*(

Being healthy is a lifestyle change, not just a diet and it should be something I can maintain doing for the rest of mylife.

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with 1200 then change it up. Reset your goals to something more reasonable to do long term, 1.0-0.5lbs a week is what I'd recommend, definitely not 2 even though it is tempting.

I have my goals set to 1400/day but usually end up eating around 1800-2000 since I exercise quite a bit. If I feel deprived of food eating by only 1200 calories I tend to binge more because I feel constantly unsatisfied.

Also remember that your goal shouldn't be to go under the stated calorie goal but to meet or slightly exceed it. I know the naughty red numbers make it seem bad but eating 1300 calories is healthier then eating 1150 or less.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    It might be time for you to eat at maintenance for a while. Allow your body to adjust and build muscle. If you are working out are you eating back your exercise calories burned?

Think about it! More food will make you happy and isn't that what this is all about anyway?

Check this site out:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

It incorporates your exercise into your calories for maintenance so you do not need to count exercise.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    im 5'4" and 130 lbs and i eat about 2000+ cals a day. i couldnt imagine that you would feel satisfied off 1200! I think you should really look into upping your intake...especially if you are working out.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there that is around the same size as me? I'm 5'5 and I currently weigh 127 pounds. When I first started dieting and working out 2 years ago I weighed around 140 pounds so I'm really happy where I'm at today.

I feel like 1200 calories in a day isn't enough for me and I wanted to compare our food diaries. I'm very active and workout 3 times a week doing cardio and strength training and with doing this I feel like my body needs more "good calories" like protein but they are higher in calories. I've been struggling with the 1200 calories and its getting me so discouraged I find myself not caring about what I snack on. I still do try to keep it under the 1200 but yesterday I had 3 chocolate chip cookies to snack on at lunch which I never do and I haven't worked out all week. :*(

Being healthy is a lifestyle change, not just a diet and it should be something I can maintain doing for the rest of mylife.

Your numbers are me EXACTLY!! i have been toying with the idea of upping my 1200 calories too. I don't know what to do, lol. I'm not losing weight and i work out like a maniac. I find i will go crazy with the sweets at night.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm around that size (I weigh a little more now, but I'm wearing smaller clothes than when I was 127), and that wouldn't be anywhere near enough for me.

As close as you are to your goal, you shouldn't be aiming to lose any more than a half pound a week, plus most of your exercise calories. I was losing at 1500 plus most of my exercise calories, so around 1800-2000 total. I'm eating about 200 calories more to maintain.

Also, be sure to use measurements and photos to gauge your progress. With proper nutrition (ie, enough calories and protein, especially) and strength training, you can reach your goal body with minimal changes on the scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/in-defense-of-bikinis-215624

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/-f-the-scale-203555
  • smspencer1
    Options
    I am 5'2", now 124lbs, and I eat 1200 calories a day. Compared to how I was eating before, I think this is a great starting point. I have been sticking to the 1200 calories (some days I am under by 100) and I feel very full all day. I haven't been working out that much, but when I do I def eat more. I have lost 4lbs, but I think that is mostly water weight. If you work out often then you def want to up your calories to at least 2000 Like HoLLyZ82 said! Hope I helped!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i'll friend request you so you we can compare diaries. i started at 5'5 129 and am staying around 1200 a day. to be honest, for the first 3 weeks i did around 1000 a day, cut out alcohol, etc. i eat back my exercise calories if i'm going out to dinner or something or if i'm really hungry in the evening, otherwise i don't eat them back.

i've been doing this since feb 1 and i'm down to 119. i've also been exercising every day. i feel very healthy, not starved. i think the 1200 is good for now. once i lose a few more pounds, i plan to go up to 1500 for maintainance??

but if i was feeling "sad" or like i wasn't getting enough, i would have no problem upping my 1200 to 1400. i think it's important to listen to your body.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 145 pounds, but I'm losing at 1650 - 1800 calories a day. You could probably up your calories with no problem. 1200 calories a day would be absolutely miserable.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started out in Aug at 136 lbs. I had my calories set at 1200 for the duration of my journey. I ate more on some days and less on others, but tried to stay close to that number on most days. I hit my goal on Jan 24 and it equalled out to about 1 lb per week. I feel great eating this amount or a little more.
    If on some days your hungrier then eat more. It really all equals out in the end. It worked for me!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    5'4" 125 and have to eat about 1700 for maintenance. so 1200 would be way too little for me. try 1500 for a few weeks and see how it works out... if you are still losing, up it to 1700.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "I'm very active and workout 3 times a week doing cardio and strength training" you need to eat more. listen to your body. if you were doing absolutely nothing i probably wouldnt say much about a 1200 calorie intake (although i believe you would still be in a deficit) but you ARE active and working out. you may be doing more harm to your body than good. nourish that sucker.
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT. I went and changed my goals to lose only 1/2lb per week and it upped my calories to 1360, this is a more realistic number for me and I feel confident I'll be albe to hit this goal.

If anyone wants to friend request me please do. I love the help and motivation from everyone :-)

Thanks again!