free weights vs machines?

Options
Besides cardio I've been doing strength training. However I only use weight machines rather than free weights. Is this just as good?

Replies

• marydb0000
    Options
    That's what I use too. I know there are those that say free weights are better, but the machines help me keep good form and there is less risk of injury. I just make sure that I switch machines often.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No way! Free weights are far superior to the machines. The machines limit your range of motion, tend to be isolation exercises, put your body into unnatural positions and can be downright dangerous causing injury.
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In 2005 I was doing WW and going to the gym, using the bicycle/treadmill for cardio and the machines for strength training. I lost 50 pounds. SO I'm doing that same routine again as far as exercise goes.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think I'll answer with, "depends"

I prefer free weights. (The barbell and I are in love lol). However, you need someone to teach you how to lift properly, and watch you, and spot you. This isn't always an option for everyone. But free weights also make you use your stabilizer muscles to balance the weights. It also get my heart rate up more, especially compound lifts (I don't really do isolated lifts like bicep curls for example.)

Most people I know who use machines use them following a free weight session because they are going for hypertrophy and they are too tired to continue with the free weights, but can finish up working out their muscles on the machine.

Some people swear by them, but in my own preference I don't use them anymore. I used to in college because I didn't know how to lift free weights, but I've seen much better results that has equated to strength in real life (aka - I can move in my furniture up four flights of winding stairs into my apartment lol). I also feel like I've seen better aesthetic results, but maybe that's only because I like it and stick to it better than I did the machines.

If you're curious, the lifts I focus on are back/front/overhead squat, deadlift, thrusters, strict shoulder press, clean, jerk, snatch.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Free weights will strentgthen stabilizer muscles and your core, machines are good for isolation so its good to combine them in your workouts
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are fine if you want to have zero functional strength ("I pick things up and put them down!") but you want to increase the size of specific muscles. I have found machines to be worthless compared to free weights if you want to build muscles for anything other than aesthetics :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I think I'll answer with, "depends"

I prefer free weights. (The barbell and I are in love lol). However, you need someone to teach you how to lift properly, and watch you, and spot you. This isn't always an option for everyone. But free weights also make you use your stabilizer muscles to balance the weights. It also get my heart rate up more, especially compound lifts (I don't really do isolated lifts like bicep curls for example.)

Most people I know who use machines use them following a free weight session because they are going for hypertrophy and they are too tired to continue with the free weights, but can finish up working out their muscles on the machine.

Some people swear by them, but in my own preference I don't use them anymore. I used to in college because I didn't know how to lift free weights, but I've seen much better results that has equated to strength in real life (aka - I can move in my furniture up four flights of winding stairs into my apartment lol). I also feel like I've seen better aesthetic results, but maybe that's only because I like it and stick to it better than I did the machines.

If you're curious, the lifts I focus on are back/front/overhead squat, deadlift, thrusters, strict shoulder press, clean, jerk, snatch.

Definitely second this!
    Although in saying that, I'm doing a CPT course atm and my teacher told me the weights machines are just there to sell the gym better.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    Free weights will strentgthen stabilizer muscles and your core, machines are good for isolation so its good to combine them in your workouts

^^^that^^^
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No way! Free weights are far superior to the machines. The machines limit your range of motion, tend to be isolation exercises, put your body into unnatural positions and can be downright dangerous causing injury.

Pretty much this. It is not even remotely the same as machines don't encourage the use of stabilizers. The only machines I use are the cable and the lat pull down. I would suggest taking your workouts to the free weight area of the gym.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a multi-gym type machine at home and were I to do it again it would be a good bench and free weights (when I bought mine my son was too young to be my spotter). In addition to the machine a fair portion of my strength training involves body weight exercises and dumbells.

A little OT but last year I had an IT band issue and part of the rehab consisted of standing on one leg doing dumbell curls and presses - you can't do that with a machine!
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are fine if you want to have zero functional strength ("I pick things up and put them down!") but you want to increase the size of specific muscles. I have found machines to be worthless compared to free weights if you want to build muscles for anything other than aesthetics :)

I am completely clueless.....How does it make a difference? If you are working the same muscles with the same amount of weight how can you not get strong using the machines? I am soooo confused :(
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it is just a personal choice. The most important thing is to eat well and move. I am forced to use free weights with my trainer, and use mostly the machines when I am working out by myself. Depending what gym you work out in, the free weight area can sort of be the jerk loading zone. Mostly filled with young dudes shouting out reps as they look lovingly at themselves in the mirrors. People who have body issues or a little shy might find it all a little much. I did when I was 320 pounds. Now that I am smaller I get into the free weights section a litttle more, but it is still weird for me sometimes.
  • calcrunch
    calcrunch Posts: 18
    Options

Agreed! Also you never will develop all your stabilizer muscles by using free weights. Just as a test next time you train, try doing the same exercise with free weights and the same amount of weight. Be prepared to be humbled :) Machines do have their place but should be used sparingly or when you don't have a partner. I've found that when training alone, just drop the weight down and to slower, good form reps to get the same burn without using as heavy weight as you'd use with a spotter/partner.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started with the machine and graduated to free weights. I feel like I get a better workout with the free weights because I engage other muscle groups.
  • Novikay
    Novikay Posts: 62
    Options

This
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with this 100 %. I still use a few machine for exercise not easily replicated with free weights (Lat pulldown, decline press, etc.)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Don't know?

My gym is a Boxing/Martial Arts gym and only has free weights (dumb-bells) so this is what I work with.

From what I remember from working out in my college days. I prefer the dumb bells to the machines.

My uneducated opinion is that what to use should be based on what you want to accomplish. For me, I am looking to gain strength and endurance so that I can improve my health and be stronger for my martial arts classes. So the dumb bells work fine.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My opinion:

Free weights with good form > Machines > Doing Nothing > Free weights with poor form

I think machines have a very important place as a tool when you're starting out in lifting. If you don't have access to someone who can help you learn free weights directly, they are a decent intermediate step to build a base level of strength and confidence before switching to free weights.

It doesn't free you from the responsibility of learning how to use them properly (i.e. not making the appropriate adjustments on the machine for your height, using machines that are just plain stupid, etc) but it is still quite a bit less intimidating than say jumping straight to squats on your own or something.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Both can have a place in a well constructed program.

But it's highly dependent on context. For example, I probably wouldn't tell a 63 year old man with multiple recurring injuries that he should learn how to do heavy back squats.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am interested in all thoughts here