Is yoga a good workout?

Options
I work out 6-7 days a week in the morning. I didn't feel that good this morning and I was sore from yesterday so I decided to do yoga, which I normally don't do. When I do do it, I feel like "it's not a real workout" and feel guilty and lazy for not working out hardcore. I barely burn any calories doing it but I did feel great after it this morning, like my body needed a good stretch and a light day. So what do you think - is yoga a good workout?

Thanks!

Replies

• LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really think it all depends on which type of Yoga you're doing.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is a great workout. I havent done it as often as I was doing it a few weeks ago but my body is telling me that I need to get back to it. No, it doesnt burn that many calories and I think that is why I havent been doing it as much. But I DO for so much better when I do it. My muscles are able to relax and I get a really good stretch from it. Usually I will do it when I feel like I need a light workout day. Bob Harper's Yoga Warrior is an excellent Yoga workout because its more power yoga than meditative yoga. I really like power yoga alot better. I feel like I get a little more out of it.

But I believe its a great workout!
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and thank you for the suggestion - I have been looking for a yoga dvd that is more like power yoga than the one I have - this is more stretching I think but it does have some core moves that are like pilates moves. I do feel pretty good now so I guess it did something!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I really think it all depends on which type of Yoga you're doing.

Totally agree. When doing a slow flow Hatha based yoga, you're probably not burning a ton of calories, but the benefits of yoga are there (breath control, flexibility, discipline, etc). I personally do Hot Hatha Yoga (90 minutes) and Hot Vinyasa yoga (60 minutes) and I am DYING by the end. Heart rate is up, swear pouring into my eyes and mouth, and I definitely get a GREAT workout doing those two practices. Just gotta try a few different types and see what works for you!
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I participated in a yoga class for the first time this past Monday night after a run. It was mostly just alot of stretching and relaxation for an hour. Loved it though! I would be interested in trying a more hardcore version of it.