Weight loss surgery anyone???

Options
Hey,

I'm new to MFP. I love the cite. I am really trying to lose about 60lbs, I have even had weight loss surgery, the Lap-Band. Having the surgery is not as easy as people think, you still have to work had at portions and what you eat. i had the surgery December 15th, and is down 19 lbs, the process is way slower than the other methods.

I'm looking for anyone out there that can relate to me and my situation. Has anyone used weight loss surgery as a jump start tool for losing weight?

Dawn

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery on 8/4/11. Down 67a pounds. Add me if you want.
  • jottati3274
    jottati3274 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the lap-band surgery on January 30th, 2012. Since October of last year I lost a total of 32 lbs. and Since my surgery I lost 14 lbs. I am very satisfied with my weight lost before and after the surgery. It does have a lot to do with portion control, but you just need to stick with it and it will work. You should still continue with your protein shakes and exercise. Try support groups in your area.

I recent purchase a book that may help you if your are having trouble finding recipes to make. The name of the book is call Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Sarary. I havent made any recipes yet, but will plan on it this weekend.

You can add me as a friend and we can share our experience, ideas, and help each other out.
    Thanks, Joyce:smile:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had lab-band surgery 6/1/2009. It has taken me since then to lose 74 pounds. I am now 1.5 pounds from my goal. It has been a long road but certainly worthwhile. MFP played a significant part in my success, along with my band. Add me as a friend if you would like
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had duodenal switch and lost 84 lbs. so far. It has been really hard losing this weight. I have been working out every day since Jan. 1st and logging my food for 70 days now. I understand how hard this is.
  • dawnsheree
    Options
    Frogmama, how did you adjustments go? Did you fell diffent afterwards, do you still get adjustments? I have only had one, and i dont see the difference between what i was eating to what i can now. I know that it will take a number of adjustments to get to where i need to be, but of course I'm becoming impatience, and worried that the surgery was in vain??
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Dawnsheree,
    My adjustments have gone well. I had my first adjustment 2 or 3 months after surgery. Like you, I really didn't seem to notice any difference. My weight loss seemed to stall. I had lost about 13 pounds after 2 months. I stayed the same for another 3 months. That is when I joined MFP and started monitoring the calories. That seemed to help. I did have a few more adjustments along the way. I hit another plateau, and then joined a new gym. Exercise has become a major part of my life. My last adjustment was just over a year go. I really noticed that one, and had to make sure I ate very, very slowly, and chewed very well. I have lost my weight very slowly. I have maintained my weight for the last 6 months or so, and I just recently started logging again to lose those last few pounds, and to refresh my memory of my calorie intake.
    Be patient. Make sure you eat slowly, and stop when you start to feel full. I know that you would like to see the weight disappear quickly, but take it slow and steady. I attend a weight loss support group once a month, and I have seen too many people give up when they didn't get instant results, and then they regained.Good luck. Any other questions, let me know.
  • stormy_eyez742
    stormy_eyez742 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had Lap-band surgery on March 31, 2009. I'd like to say it's been easy but it hasn't. It took me 5 years to make the final decision and go through with the surgery. I even had therapy for over a year up until my surgery just to make sure I was doing the right thing for me. It was something I didn't take lightly. However, I lost my focus, got lazy, dealt with a terrible injury, yada yada...I could go on...

Since Lap-band the most weight I lost WAS 71lbs but gained a bit back over the holidays (stupid temptations!) which is what led me here to MFP. I lost the majority of my weight a couple weeks pre-op (restrictive pre-op diet) and the 6 weeks post-op. Then I stalled. They don't lie when they tell you it is a TOOL not a fix and definitely not a quick fix. You have to change your eating habits (don't eat 'around' your band), exercise, and LOTS of protein. My choices in food/cheating my band and sitting around all the time is what has held up my progress. I still say the band was the right thing to do for *me*. Although when something gets stuck I curse everything! It's so painful...

You can do this. You apparently wanted change bad enough you were willing to install a tool to help make those changes happen. Use it to your advantage. It gets very frustrating at times but work through it. If you're strong enough to commit to a band, you are strong enough to do this. It makes me so mad when people say WLS is an 'easy way out' or a 'quick fix'...bwahaha...Right...You're not in this alone. If you want/need to talk feel free to send me a message or however one contacts others on here...lol I'm obviously still a newbie to MFP.
  • PandorasMom
    Options
    I had the lap band one month ago tomorrow. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life, like so many of us. I have entertained the idea for close to a decade. My spiritual advisor (for lack of a better term) suggested at one point to address my addictive tendencies before I take such a step, where I would have the opportunity to "cheat the system". I did, but about 2 1/2 years ago, I also started a largely successful commercial program where I lost approximately 75#. Then I lost my mojo, and gained about 20 of it back. I was just stuck. I fluctuated within those 20# for close to a year, and returned to my destructive eating habits. I then looked for help from the surgical aspect. I knew at the time, and recognized this wasnt an easy fix, like so many people think. I figured, I obsess over food as it is, I might as well obsess in a health way. April 18th, I had the lab band and gastric plication (Creates the sleeve without resection any portion of the stomach). I chose that as a health care professional from a Surgical Intensive care Unit and having seen many complications with malbsorbtive procedures (my surgeon did explain to me such complicatins also often dependa on the surgeon, which I KNEW from my experience, some surgeons have almost NO complicatins). Not that I dont believe in them, I am a hypochondriac at times and it frightened me incredibly. Its just not what was for me. Between April 9th and today, May 17th I have lost 25#, and am incredibly happy with my success thus far. I will be getting my first fill in the beginning of june, and last night was the first time that I truly felt uncomfortable. I did not eat a large volume, but too fast I believe. I am looking for supporters on here, as I have become quite a fan of the site and app. I had been on a specific WLS site, and felt judged and discoraged for having had the banding as opposed to another. So I am looking for positive non-judgemental WLS recipients- no matter what surgery you've had.

Sorry to be so long winded- its just my story...
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008. I am so thankful to have my life back again!!