Food given up for Lent?

Options
Has anyone else given up specific foods for Lent?

This year I gave up meat and bread. Meat is easy because I hardly eat any of that anyway, but I used to eat toast for lunch everyday! Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so now I'm trying to avoid meat, bread, and dairy.

It's tough, but then, it's not supposed to be easy.

Replies

• gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I gave up chips, alcohol, and bread for Lent. I think chips and alcohol have been the hardest....and I also committed to running or walking at least 4 miles everyday. And March just started!! I'm going crazy. Lol...
  • ukyo999
    ukyo999 Posts: 26
    Options
    all fried foods
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I gave up all "junk"!!
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    I gave up chips, alcohol, and bread for Lent. I think chips and alcohol have been the hardest....and I also committed to running or walking at least 4 miles everyday. And March just started!! I'm going crazy. Lol...

I've cut back a lot on drinking, but there is no way I could give up chips. Tortilla chips with hummus is my all-time favorite snack!
  • sara819
    sara819 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food and for a single person who lives alone it has been pretty difficult because it's...well, fast haha. But I'm trying to look at it like I'm helping my weightloss goal and a financial goal of saving money. Good luck to everyone :smile:
  • lindrusso
    lindrusso Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol, snacky junk food (chips, pretzels, etc.), sweets (except dark chocolate, no more than 50-100 cals per day) and artificial sweeteners (Splenda, diet soda). I'm also trying to stay under my calorie goal here on MFP every day during Lent, but may allow the inevitable overage here or there.

Only 37 days, 9 hours and 3 minutes until Easter! :)
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I gave up pork, namely my bacon:ohwell:
  • jtsassy88
    Options
    The past couple of years I did't give up food for Lent. Instead I tried to turn it into something positive. During Lent I try to be nice to everyone (even those people that really get under my skin - you know - kill them with kindness). I also strive to do more exercising than I was doing before Lent. I've also talked my son into doing something similar - he said that it is easier than trying to give up something you really like to eat. At the end of Lent we both feel better about ourselves and then we strive to carry on our positive attitudes throughout the year.
  • jtsassy88
    Options
    Great ideas - just think of the weight and inches you'll lose by Easter!!!! Good luck and hang in there - you can do it!!!!
  • Patty1030
    Patty1030 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gave up red meat and bread/pasta (carbs)! The red meat I can live without but the carbs are killing me!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I gave up Fried Fast Food. And all other fried potato type products. (hash browns, fries, etc)

I didn't eat a lot of it before, but since I'm trying to be healthier in general, and my wife was giving up fries, then I figured it was good for me.

I gave up soda for Lent 3 years ago, and haven't had any since.
  • likabu
    likabu Posts: 1
    Options
    Crisps :-( and Im missing them lots. Ive had to give sandwiches for lunch a miss as lets face it - a butty isn't the same without a packet of crisps.

Hopefully it will do me some good with the weightloss too :-)

L x