5 weeks and no progress

Options
5 weeks ago I started a challenge at a local Karate Studio called "Knockout Fit " . Part of the challlenge is not only to attend the classes but he also suggest you keep a food log. I chose MFP for its easy smartphone app. So far I have only lost 1 pound and 1 inch. I see a few areas I can improve but overall I think I am eating healthy and I have gone from no exercise in the past 3 years to doing a minimum of 45 minutes 3x a week. I am open to suggestion and criticism.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So far I have only lost 1 pound and 1 inch.

1. That IS progress.
    2. Scale weight is not a reliable indicator of progress. It can be affected by a number of things, water weight in particular.
    3. You can only measure so much. I went over 4 weeks without losing scale weight. The inches came of slowly at first, however, I could see from my pictures my face and neck changed, arms got smaller and the area between my waist and hips got smaller when I lost very little from the measurements of my hips and waist.

5 weeks isn't a lot of time. I know we all want to see fast results, but it doesn't always work that way. You HAVE seen results, you just want to see more. Keep it up, it will come.
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've gone down a size and almost into the next size in the past month. I lost 3 pounds total for the month, though. Clothes are the best indicator, IMO. Are you possibly undereating? Recording everything? Hang in there, the only way to fail is to quit!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also haven`t seen much of a difference and it`s been 4 months!!!! i think it`s because you and I don`t have much to loose, so it`s more challenging.... i have only lost since Oct 22nd 1 inch off my waist, 2 of my hips and 2 off my belly and only 7-8 ish lbs....
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    This is a great post
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Plus, I see from your profile that you have less than 20lbs to lose. .5lbs a week is a reasonable goal for that amount. Ideally that would only be 2.5 lbs in the 5 weeks and you did see a loss of 1 lb.
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    I am with you! 7 1/2 weeks in and down 4lbs. It has been super SLOW, but thanks to these boards, I am OK with it. I look at these boards everyday just to see who is succeeding! This totally helps me to stay motivated!

Sounds like you have taken a 180 on your lifestyle, and I applaude you for that! Now, keep on going in that direction...you're doing GREAT!

If your ultimate goal is to be HEALTHY, then you are headed in the right direction with exercising and eating right! Keep it up!!
  • dawnmariern
    dawnmariern Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement I even had the nutritionist at work review my food diary. She suggested cutting back carbs. I guess this is the first time I have tried to lose any weight since I hit 40 y/o that loosing it is not going to be as easy as in my 30's.
    I do have to say if nothing else I feel a lot better I have more energy.
    I was wondering if adding free weights would make a diffrence?
  • dawnmariern
    Options
    That is a great post thanks !
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

YES! May not show on the scale right away, but there are tons of benefits to lifting, and by lifting I mean lifting heavy (heavy for you)

You know what they say
    Dieting makes you look good in your clothes lifting weights makes you look good naked.
  • dawnmariern
    Options

YES! May not show on the scale right away, but there are tons of benefits to lifting, and by lifting I mean lifting heavy (heavy for you)

I used to lift ..way back ...then I tore my rotator cuff and stopped ..there is no reason I can't lift again it is the one thing I can't get motivated to do. Way back I had a gym partner ..getting back there myself has not been easy ..lets just say I wake up with good intentions.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement I even had the nutritionist at work review my food diary. She suggested cutting back carbs. I guess this is the first time I have tried to lose any weight since I hit 40 y/o that loosing it is not going to be as easy as in my 30's.
    I do have to say if nothing else I feel a lot better I have more energy.
    [/quote

Adding weights did not help me lose any weight. If anything I've gained from it, for now anyway. I've gained a lot of muscle. Same with the cardio. I've lost inches but the weight loss has been slow going. However, if I continue down this path I will continue to lose slowly while continuing to tone my body. It's simple math, if I'm eating less calories than I use I must lose. And I'm sure my body will do that in it's own time.

btw, I'm 41 - maybe that makes it slower, too.
    and trying to lose 45/50 lbs
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Good job on your progress so far. Don't knock yourself for one pound and one inch! That's fabulous!

I looked at your food diary and it looks like you are eating really low calories (at least for the past few days). Are you logging everything or is that accurate? If you are logging everything and working out 3xs per week or more, you should try upping your calories and netting at least 1200 if not more. You're body may be holding on to the weight because it needs more fuel to keep it running more efficiently. Try changing your settings to lose 1 pound or 0.5 pounds per week and eat all of the alloted calories (including your excersize calories). It may take a few days for your body to adjust but you should see the scale start to move.

Also drink tons of water! That helps me.
  • MelMelMiller
    Options
    I would definitely add some weights into your workout regime. Lifting weights builds more muscle and more muscle burns more fat. It's a win, win situation. =):smile:
  • tekhipee
    tekhipee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn during your Knockout Fit? Looking at your diary, you are only consuming an average of 1000 calories a day.

Correct me if Im wrong, but she possible needs to add a couple snacks in there to up the calories and keep the metabolism burning