Baby Food?

Options
I have been recently been diagnosed with anemia - I am considering using baby food fruits and cereals to up my intake of iron and other nutrients I am lacking in my diet - any thoughts on this subject?

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    it tastes pretty good...esp the fruits...Not so big into the veggies for some reason and the chicken noodle tastes just like chicken noodle soup!,,,,(yea i try pretty much anything my kid eats)
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would get iron suppliments, and doesnt vitamin c help your body absorb iron?
  • rgthomas
    rgthomas Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do take an iron pill a day with orange juice, but a long time ago I had gastric bypass and I cannot eat normally, plus my teeth are really bad and chewing is troublesome most of the time, so I stick to soft foods. Thanks, guys, for your input - one of the many reasons I absolutely love this site! :love:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements can be hard for your body to absorb. But I take a really great one that is made 100% from food sources...so it absorbs easily and it is gentle on the tummy. Iron is best supplied by food, but this is a great alternative since it's made from food. Plus, it doesn't contain any bad additives.

It is called:
    Blood Builder
    DailyFoods
    Vitamin and Mineral Formula

You can find it at Vitamin Cottage (but I think those may only be in Colorado...but they do have a website where I think you can order). I'm almost positive you can get these at Vitamin Shoppe as well.

Also, Iron is better absored when taken with Vitamin C and B.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Spinach! Right after my monthly I am always low on iron and I am soooooo tired. I eat cooked spinach, collard greens and mustard greens for a day or two and I am right back to normal. It is a great source of iron! Dark green veggies...broccoli too!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i hate baby food, i had jaw surgery when i was a teenager and that is all i could eat through a syringe, that and soup, and boost. it was just so gross! but if you can stomach it, go for it!!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    you can also incorporate the baby food into regular food--like zucc muffins, tomato sauce, meatloaf and more.
    check out sneaky chef (i think) and jessica seinfeld's book from library for lots more recipes.
  • cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok so i was looking for a small disposable container that i could bring a little milk to work with, and thought baby food. So then i thought why not get fruit and add to basic oatmeal. It was awesome! Anybody else got any ideas for baby food?
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Did you end up trying this? How did it go?

I learned my first pregnancy that calcium blocks the absorption of iron. I was taking my prenatals (with iron) with milk and my iron levels were still low. When I took my vitamin with OJ instead, I tested ok.

I also agree with staceyw37 and maybe use babyfood in your normal recipies...especially if you're making spaghetti sauce. My son's pediatrician suggested this because he is a picky eater.

I'm always looking for new ideas to add nutrients to meals because of my son adversion to most food. I'd love to hear an update.

Thanks!!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about prenatal vitamins with iron? A couple of my nurse friends suggested this when I had trouble donating blood cause my iron and blood sugar levels were too low.