Zumba

Options
My Zumba teacher says that Zumba burns 1000 calories an hour. This sounds like an awful lot to me, even though Zumba is a great workout.

Do you think it burns that much?

Replies

• PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about that too. I've seen TV ads for ZUMBA and the calorie loss that they claim seems a little to good to be true. It does look like an awesome workout though!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • visiologist
    Options
    I read the range is 600 to 1,000 per hour. I don't do it myself, but I do a couple workouts that burn 1,000/hr on me and just watched a Zumba video on YT. I could believe maybe that much. Looks pretty intense.

But you have to realize that calories burned in a workout has a lot to do with your physical size. I'm a guy weighing about 180. If I burned 1,000 calories in a workout, alongside someone weighing 130 working just as hard I would be surprised if they burned any more than 650 to 700 calories. Also for some reason men burn more than women, even if they're the same weight.

Mike
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba. My instructor says "600 calories gone". My HRM usually says 450 to 475 consistently. And I get really into it. Now the way she bounces around the whole time, even when standing still, I believe 600 for her :)
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Can you enlighten me, what is zumba?:tongue:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    It's a latin dancing class where I feel like anything goes. A lot of moving, kind of like dancing in your living room with the music really loud. Not as regimented per se as aerobic classes. Everyone has their own style. It's addictive.
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun!
  • glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    Zumba can burn up to 1,000 calories per hour. My instructor says fo me its probably between 400-600. She sees how I move so I will take her word. I really keep moving the whole time to keep my heart rate up even when we have a break in songs. The newest routine has us going straight through without stopping , so its a great workout. I think the instructors will burn more because they are up there going at it to keep the class going, lots of energy, etc. Have fun Zumba-ing everyone!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    I take Zumba on a regular basis, and I wear an HRM during class. I consistently burn between 650 and 750 calories. Of course it all depends on your weight/age/fitness level and how much you put into it.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Options
    In case anyone hasn't taken a Zumba class or would like to in their own home there is a DVD rip on www.mininova.org it's called Zumba Cardio Party.

You will need a torrent program to download it. I use Utorrent.

Enjoy
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    zumba is a great latin-inspired dance class. its fun, easy to follow and makes an hour fly by. its a great way to add some bounce into your work out :)
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    I don't know about the 1000 cal but I know it's at least 500 for 1 hour of it if you work hard.
    Usually my head is so wet like I just took a shower after the class.