Looking for friends who have serious binge eating addictions

Options
First of all, a short story..

I've always had this problem and the attacks were not that bad when I heavier. I would casually snack more..most days back then, I was 240lbs eating maintence calories. I've been on this journey for 2 years. I'd say about a year ago was when it started to get really bad. There were periods of time, I would recover and be on the good end for a while. Now it seems like lately, the last 10 weeks I just can't seem to stay on track long enough and gained maybe 15lbs in the process. A few months back, I only attended 4 counseling sessions. I thought at the end i was going better, and didn't need it. I was okay from October-December, no therapy at all. Then, depression or stress attacks came in..at first it was the Holidays. That was my excuse. I wanted to enjoy the Pumpkin Pie, Egg Nog, all the warm cookies on the table and chocolate treats..how did I not want to miss that? lol..I was hoping by the time New Years have ended, after all the tempting gatherings would have gone..it would get just a little bit better..but no. I didn't get better. A few weeks ago, I decided to give therapy another try and yesterday was my first meet after 5 months. It was pretty intense, and there is much more work that needs to be done.

Request- I'm looking for anyone that is faced with similar problems. Anyone whos at the point where they feel like they can't stop, as I feel. Maybe we can help motivate one another, communicate on a regular/daily basis and more. :smile:

Thank you.

Replies

• BlondeToast
    Options
    Just out of curiosity (and because your post is entitled it and you haven't elaborated), what do you define as binge eating?
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    8oz of Salted peanuts, chocolate pretzels, sour cream & onion pringles all in one sitting sometimes. Thats a binge in my book.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have periods of time where I just give up and I eat absolutely everything in sight. I know that I'm an emotional eater, so a lot of the time I have to sit back and assess WHY I'm hungry. Am I actually hungry, or am I just bored/stressed/upset/sad/mad, etc.......

It's difficult. I go through periods of not caring at all (just came off one actually) and it's tough, but you have to find the self control within you and the discipline to do better. If you feel like you just cannot stop the binging, binge on fruits, veggies, yogurts etc. It doesn't have to be overeating of horrible foods, you know?

I'm not much help I suppose, because I deal with this as well, but it's just classic overindulging. You have to find it in yourself to say no. Is it difficult? sure is. Try not to have these things in your house.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Also, turning to food in such a way is finding a comfort. It's like an alcoholic who has a bad day and turns to beer. We turn to food. There are always underlying issues as to WHY we're doing this, and WHAT we're trying to cover up. Try to discover the answers to those questions hun.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I have periods of time where I just give up and I eat absolutely everything in sight. I know that I'm an emotional eater, so a lot of the time I have to sit back and assess WHY I'm hungry. Am I actually hungry, or am I just bored/stressed/upset/sad/mad, etc.......

It's difficult. I go through periods of not caring at all (just came off one actually) and it's tough, but you have to find the self control within you and the discipline to do better. If you feel like you just cannot stop the binging, binge on fruits, veggies, yogurts etc. It doesn't have to be overeating of horrible foods, you know?

I'm not much help I suppose, because I deal with this as well, but it's just classic overindulging. You have to find it in yourself to say no. Is it difficult? sure is. Try not to have these things in your house.

I used to binge on Spinach..id go through an entire large tub a day (60 calories)..they just get too darn expensive sometimes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck. I used to .....but never more than 1500 cals at a time.

There are some "Groups" here with lots of members, and several other "Binge" threads. Use the "Search" for more options.

One of the Binge groups has 175 members...maybe you can find some people there.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group