Protein and Workouts

Options
RopinC
RopinC Posts: 10 Member
So I have been working on a new healthier me. I have lost 20 pounds and workout 5-6 days per week ranging from 45 mins to 1 & 1/2 long. I now eat 6 mini meals per day and drink a TON of water. Eating around 1500 calories a day, I have 75 lbs to lose. That is a little history. Now I am going to start doing the Jamie Eason Burning the Fat program. From what I read I really needed a good protein drink so I got GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - Chocolate to try out. Mind you I felt really stupid buying protein drinks at my weight, I do understand they help, I just felt ridicules. So my question is, how much protein should I be trying to get in a day?

I signed up for Nutri-System and have completed 1 month and will do 1 more. I know it isn't the best system but it did give me what I needed, to learn portion control and healthier choices. It has worked but I will only do the 2 months and I am done with it. I know I can now start making healthier choices then what they give me, also the 1200 calorie goal they shoot for just doesn't cut it when you are working out 5 days a week. So I have 1 protein shake that comes with the plan that I drink in the morning. Then the GNC drink for post workout. Do I take the GNC shake on days I don't workout?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. The protein shake is a new thing for me and a little overwhelming.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Daily intake 2-3g/kg of target body weight (6-8 month goal).

When you take the protein shake is irrelevant, just make sure you hit your daily goal.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ive always read that you should have 1/2 to 1 gram of protein per pound you weight depending on your activity level. I try and reach my body weight in protein on days that I weight train. On days that I don't weight train I still eat high protein (keeps you full and satisfied) but I usually don't have a protein shake if I didn't train.

But You can drink a protein shake for a snack on days that you don't work out just to keep your belly full and its chock full of good things for your body!!
  • RopinC
    RopinC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just curious what others are doing.