What should I be doing different?

Options
Hi all!
I’ve been on here logging food and exercise for just over 3 weeks now. I’m currently 167 & 5’2”. I would like to lose around 30 pounds. I have only lost a few pounds so far and I’m getting a little discouraged. The only thing that’s keeping me going is I’m determined to lose the weight the healthy way this time. Also, I can tell I generally feel better when I work out. My food diary is open so feel free to look at it and give suggestions.

I take hour long classes at the gym and my exercise schedule looks like this:
Monday – Cardio Kickboxing OR Ballet Fit (muscle strengthening)
Tuesday-Power Sculpt (w/ weights) OR Zumba
Wednesday- Dance Shape (modern/contemporary dance)
Thursday-Zumba
Saturday-Zumba AND Core Ball Conditioning (class using exercise ball)
Sunday-Swimming (not sure this counts as an exercise as it’s just playing in the pool with my family)

Should I be doing more/different things for exercise?
Am I doing too much (or not enough) cardio & not enough (or too much) strength training?
Should I change my food?

Sorry I’m a little lost in this process and not sure what to expect of my body.

Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A few pounds lost is progress! Slow is the key when you want lasting weight loss. As long as something is changing, whether it's the scale or inches or just how your clothes fit, that's good!! So I say keep up the good work and keep in mind that you didn't gain the weight over night so don't expect to lose it over night! Good luck!
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all; how are you eating?

First of all, you need to calculate your BMR. I'll give you an example using myself at my start weight, as I don't know your age. You will have to recalculate your BMR at various parts on your weight loss journey (every 5 lbs or so... or whenever you hit a block.)

I am 66 inches tall (5 ft 6 inches), I am 22 years old, and I weighed 158 lbs at the start.

So, you the formula we use is 655 (4.35 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) - 14.7 x age in years)

All the random numbers are constants and you just insert your own information.

So, for me, my BMR = 655 + (4.35 x 158) + (4.7 x 66) - (14.7 x 22)
    = 655 + 687.3 + 310.2 - 103.4
    = 1549.1 k cal

If you are sedentary, multiply this number by 1.2. For me, I could eat 1859 calories daily and maintain my current weight.

If you are moderately active (ex. You do 3 hours of cardio weekly), you multiply this number by 1.55. For me, I could eat 2401 calories daily and maintain my start weight.

HOWEVER, you want to lose weight.

Decrease the above alotted calories by 10-20%. DO NOT DECREASE YOUR CALORIES BY MORE THAN 20% OR YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND ANY WEIGHTLOSS WILL BE TEMPORARY.

So, for example, if you want to decrease by 20%, multiply this number by 0.8.

If I want to lose weight and am sedentary, I could eat 1859 x 0.8 = 1487.2.

If I want to lose weight and am active, I could eat 2401 x 0.8 = 1920.8 daily.

You need to make sure you're eating enough... if not, you will just gain the weight back and screw up your metabolism.

That said, try eating the right kinds of foods. There was a study conducted where one group at less calories and one group at more calories than the first group but ate more produce and weighed LESS than the first group. Drink lots of water, and don't eat too much sodium and sugar. (The sugar in fruit doesn't count... it's natural so your body can break it down.) Don't drink "diet" drinks. Your body cannot digest the aspartame so it will be stored as fat, and it causes serotonin to be taken up faster, contributing to depression. Good calories come from good fats like avocados, olive oil, fish, etc. Try to eat whole grains. Try to avoid processed food (ex. order "whole cuts" at the deli). Of course, limit your fast food intake.

Also, I recommend cardio and WEIGHT LIFTING. That will make you skinner faster and healthier than a low-calorie diet will. Besides, you'll be able to keep the weight off if you eat as many calories as you're supposed to and couple that with exercise.

Good luck... sorry for the long spiel but I hope that was helpful
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    your food for the past few days look very similar
    maybe try mixing it up a little bit
    add more raw fruits and veggies
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Here are the things that stuck out to me:

1) Where are your veggies? And fruit? They add a ton of fiber and nutrients.

2) I don't think you are eating enough calories to work out as hard as you are. Try eating back excercise calories or changing your goals to lose 1 lb per week or .5 lb per week. Your body needs fuel to work out. If you don't give it fuel to burn it will hold onto what it already has in the tank.

3) A lot of dairy. You only need 2 servings of dairy a day. 3 if you are breastfeeding.

Don't give up! Think about how long it took you to gain the weight, it will take as least that long if not longer to lose it!
  • beagle72
    beagle72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is going to be much easier to lose weight if you reduce your input rather than try to increase your output. You will naturally gravitate to a weight that takes account of the exercise you do and the food you eat.

There are many many forum posts on how to calculate what to eat, and they all do it better than me, so check them out...

BUT only a few pounds? is that 1 or 5? In 3 weeks, losing a healthy 1.5 pounds a week you should be aiming for 4.5pounds of weight loss so far. Anything near that, then well done to you. Keep going because you are on track. If you don't think that is a success, take out some bags of sugar or flour and put 4 pounds in front of you. Now that looks huge doesn't it?

It sounds like you need some support... I have found it much easier to lose weight just by having somebody comment on my posts on this site. It makes me feel that I am not alone, even though I am unlikely to meet them in person, ever.

Why not try and sign a friend up, somebody you know... they don't even need to lose weight - just comment positively on your posts (although it will help if you can reciprocate)?

Good luck though... don't get down.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    2) I don't think you are eating enough calories to work out as hard as you are. Try eating back excercise calories or changing your goals to lose 1 lb per week or .5 lb per week. Your body needs fuel to work out. If you don't give it fuel to burn it will hold onto what it already has in the tank.

^^^^ This.
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry dear, one more thing! To keep in mind.

Check out the glycemic index of what you're eating. Basically, raw white sugar has a glycemic index of 61. So if anything has a glycemic index of higher than 61, this means that whatever you're eating will spike your blood sugar faster than sugar can! Be careful, because a lot of cereal products have a high glycemic index. For example, Special K (and most low-fat, low-calorie cereals) have a glycemic index of 63! Some brown breads have a glycemic index of about 67; however, 55 is a low glycemic index. If you must have bread, try pumpernickle; it's glycemic index is about 44, so it won't spike your blood sugar.

If your blood sugar is spiked, insulin is released to try and get the blood sugar down. Eventually, if you have too much sugar in your blood, insulin won't do its job, so you ACTUALLY HAVE TO EAT MORE for that sugar to go away into the cells... and it's the fat cells that get it. In short, sometimes you're not fat because you're eating; you're eating because you're getting fat. Eat for your blood sugar. BUT EAT ALL THE FRUIT YOU CAN. Don't be afraid of healthy fats. The Canada food guide is actually wrong! If you ate as many carbohydrates a day from grain as it told you to, you would actually yeild 3 and 1/2 cups of sugar in your blood from all these carbohydrates! (EAT MORE VEGGIES... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ENOUGH VEGGIES.) So, in summary, get your carbs from low-glycemic foods, try and get as many as you can from vegetables, and eat things like oatmeal without sugar added if you can... or always just limit your intake.

You should be eating 40 % carb, 20-30% healthy fat, and 40-30% protein. Don't be shy of healthy fats! THEY ARE SO IMPORTANT to feed your brain! Just avoid trans fats like the plague. (This includes processed things like margarine.) Use olive oil, butter instead of margarine (YES BUTTER... it should have cream and salt for ingredients, that's it... your body will digest butter but not margarine... that said, don't put it on everything... limit your intake, of course!), coconut oil, etc etc (NEVER VEGETABLE OIL... all sorts of horrible chemicals are used to drive oil out of vegetables... what a malignant waste of vegetables!). Eat avocados, nuts in small portions, etc. etc. Flaxseed also helps regulate the blood sugar... try sprinkling a teaspoon on your oatmeal in the morning. Eat this way, and you'll be less hungry. Don't be afraid of dairy either; just don't go overboard. AND AGAIN, it's always best to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables in as possible.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    After looking at your food diary, I think you definitely need to up your intake of fresh fruits and veggies. You could be deficient in some important nutrients from the looks of your diet.

I also agree with a previous poster about your dairy intake. Several kinds of cheese and yogurt a day are adding a lot to your calories but no diversity in nutrition. I'm lazy, so I'm not too good at calculating percentages on my food intake. What I do is make an effort to get as many colors as possible into my meal (orange processed cheese doesn't count as a color). Just by reading your foods look bland and mostly brown and white. Liven it up! Plus, spring is near! This means radishes and asparagus and spring greens....it's a perfect time to freshen up and liven up your eating.

Calories aren't a wholly objective measure. I could eat <1200 calories of doritos a day....I'd probably lose weight, but I wouldn't be fit, healthy, or on a sustainable diet.

Phew, I got rambly.....
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!! I really appriciate it!

Ok, so definitly more fruits & veggies! Does it matter what kind? I will generally eat anything (except seafood). The problem I have is I get so lost of what to eat when. Should I be eating fruits for breakfast & snacks? Then a veggie & lean protein (chicken) for lunch & dinner?

Oh ya, I'm 26...
  • ATLMel
    Options
    I always add a banana to my breakfast. It's filling and pretty much freaking delicious.

A quick spinach salad is a great lunch. Take out those slices of sugary and useless white bread and throw the chicken or turkey onto some spinach with a few dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and lite dressing (bonus if it's homemade) anf you're good to go. Tons of iron, protein, healthy fats and it's pretty.

As far as dinner, I always include 2 roasted/steamed veggies. Then you can have a reasonable amount of protein and a little bit of starch.
  • zgdsmith
    Options
    I always add a banana to my breakfast. It's filling and pretty much freaking delicious.

A quick spinach salad is a great lunch. Take out those slices of sugary and useless white bread and throw the chicken or turkey onto some spinach with a few dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and lite dressing (bonus if it's homemade) anf you're good to go. Tons of iron, protein, healthy fats and it's pretty.

As far as dinner, I always include 2 roasted/steamed veggies. Then you can have a reasonable amount of protein and a little bit of starch.

Thanks for the feedback! I appriciate all the tips I can get especially when it comes to food. How many of fruits & how many veggies a day should I be eating?

I filled out my food diary for today in advance. Does anyone mind looking at it and seeing if there is anything I should change? I noticed that when I add fruit my sugar intake is over. Is that ok? Also, I always seem to be over on my protein. Should I try and cut that back?
    Thanks!!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Today's diary looks much better! You're still very low on calories. You don't have to starve yourself!!
  • ATLMel
    Options
    Agreed. That looks much much better. mmmm, Acorn squash is delicious. I think you'll find that after a few weeks of eating like this you'll have more energy and your weightloss will be nice and consistent.

As far as the number, I think it is 5 servings. I try to have at least one at every meal, like you have listed out. Good luck!
  • zgdsmith
    Options
    Today's diary looks much better! You're still very low on calories. You don't have to starve yourself!!

Thanks! This seems like alot of food for me. I'll see how the day goes eating this much and adjust depending on how i'm feeling. MFP put me at 1200 calories so I was trying to stay close to that. Today is my non-workout day so I didn't want to go over too much on my calories.
  • zgdsmith
    Options
    Agreed. That looks much much better. mmmm, Acorn squash is delicious. I think you'll find that after a few weeks of eating like this you'll have more energy and your weightloss will be nice and consistent.

As far as the number, I think it is 5 servings. I try to have at least one at every meal, like you have listed out. Good luck!

Thanks!! Now I just have to keep it up and find different foods so I don't eat the same things everyday.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You will get different answers cuz everyone is different. For example, I can eat LITERALLY the same stuff daily and if I adjust my calories, I can lose tons of weight and fat in no time. In fact, I don't vary my food too much. I keep it relatively consistent especially since everything requires some planning. Imagine if I change everything every other day. NO WAY. Now, I was cutting back on my body fat percentage. I went from 15% down to 5%. It was fairly easy. People over complicate this thing.

First, look at how many calories you should be eating. Forget that factor (aka sedentary, etc..) Just assume you don't do anything. Let's say at your weight you should be eating 1500 calories. In order for you to lose weight you have to subtract at least 500 calories. You would lose about a pound a week. So you would eat 1000 calories a day. Just an example. Again, it's ok if you over that number since you are actually active.

Now, part 2. If you are trying to lose weight (lose fat really, I will get to this in a minute). Aim for this ratio 50% protein/ 30% complex carbs/ 20% fats (good fats like nuts and peanut butter). If you do this, you will lose weight in no time.

Going back to losing fat. Ok, people are crazy with this weight thing. Weight is just a number. In fact, most of us say: "I want to lose 20 lbs." That 20 lb. number is completely arbitrary in most cases. What people should aim for is to reduce their body fat percentage. Less fat, better body. Plus, healthier too. So get a body fat caliper, they are really cheap and they will give you the complete story.

I give you my example. I was at 160lb. and about 15%. I am 31 btw and about 5'6". I went down to 145 lbs. and 5%. Guess what? I was going crazy looking at the scale thinking, omg, I am losing too much weight. When in fact I was losing mostly fat and when I look at the numbers now, I lost very little muscle. When I finally reached my goal, I started eating more to gain muscle mass while STAYING at about the same BF%. Now, I am at 150 lb. with about 5.5%. Your weight only serves to tell you how much of that weight is fat and how much is muscle.

The reality is that I thought I had to stay at around 160 but I had to go down to whatever I had to go down so that I could lower my BF%. If you aren't losing weight, you are simply eating too much. That's it really. Also, you said, you lost some weight. Again, 1-2 per week is what you should aim so you should realistically aim to lose 30 lbs. in 15 weeks.

And you can go extreme if you are in a rush but I don't think it's necessary.

So I was at 1900 calories and doing exercise that would give me a 800-1000 calorie deficit. I still lost tons of fat. So yeah, that whole starvation mode is not really true. Your metabolism may slow down but not enough to stop burning fat.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I definately agree you are eating way too few calories! Your body can't burn fat if it's using all the cals for survival!