Sports bra or T-shirt @ gym

Options
Ok so I am new to this whole going to a gym thing... I was wondering how many ladies here wear workout pants and just a sports bra while getting your burn on at the gym.. at home that is how I am most comfortable since I overheat and sweat bullets while working out... I don't workout like a pansy.. I mean business LMAO

I'm just wondering is it common for women to wear sports bras? I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb LMAO :-)

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There are a handful of women at my gym who workout in just their sports bra. I would say about 90% of them do it for attention (girls with cute bodies but I never actually see them sweating or working very hard) and then 10% that go actually go really hard and just wear less clothing for more functional purposes.

Not sure I'd go shirtless in my gym (ask me when I've got a flat stomach, answer might change), but definitely (if I had the body) when running outside---it gets REALLY hot here!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    if I had your abs I would just wear a sports bra.

*cough*

But I don't so I wear either a tshirt or one of those tanks with the built in sports bras (which are really tight all the way down anyway so everyone can still see my huge belly roll when I squat (Its particularly pronounced in a squat) but at least they can't see my stretch marks!!

but um - its not common to wear only a sports bra and it DOES stick out - if you think you will be uncomfortable just wear a thin loose tank top over it.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I usually split the difference and wear a tank top made out of technical fabric. At my gym a lady in a sports bra would stand out, unfortunately. If you don't want to deal with extra attention you could do a t-shirt on Day 1 and reevaluate from there.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's not allowed at my gym. No bare midriffs.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    At the gym i went to, i didnt see that much, some wore the longer ones that cover the belly but have the bra built in, most wore tanks or tee.s. althoughu appear to have the body for a sports bra, maybe go in a tankone day and see what ur gym is like then u can do as uplease, or just do u and forget about what others may think!
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I have only seen one person do the whole sports bra deal.. and she shouldnt have. I just wear my sports bra, tank top and yoga pants. Thats pretty much what I see the other girls wearing as well.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts.

I tend to wear a vest / tank over, but would love to get to the stage I'm happy just wearing the bra, waaaay cooler.

Wear what works for you and if others judge more fool them!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Is there a dress code at your gym? I live where it is cold so seldom if ever see just a sports bra in the winter here even inside it is cool. If you are comfortable with others looking at your body then go for it .
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    At a traditional gym I would wear a shirt (required by many gyms). At my crossfit gym I often am in a sports bra, but we also work outside a lot. At the rec center in college it just seemed... gross, especially since I used the machines then. No one wants my sweaty bare back touching the equipment lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra or one of those like sportsbra shirts. like the ones at athleta when I dont feel like showing my midsection-

cn4386494.jpg

but i CANNOT do tshirts. They would soak through.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    if I had your abs I would just wear a sports bra.

ALLL THE TIME.

But really, I don't think you are allowed to workout in just a sports bra at my gym, and I probably wouldn't do it anyway. I generally wear T-shirts.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I wear wicking shirts or tank tops with the built-in sports bra. Wear whatever works for you and you feel the most comfortable in, as long as it abides by the gym's rules.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    At the gym i went to, i didnt see that much, some wore the longer ones that cover the belly but have the bra built in, most wore tanks or tee.s. althoughu appear to have the body for a sports bra, maybe go in a tankone day and see what ur gym is like then u can do as uplease, or just do u and forget about what others may think!

This.^

People like the sports tanks at my gym. I also find that when I wear a sports tank, I forget I have no sleeve to wipe my brow. So, I like a performance tee over the tank. I take off the shirt for cardio so I don't get hot, and it gives me an extra shirt to change into so I don't freeze in my soaking wet clothes afterward.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You should ask about the gym policy. Some gyms don't care, but some have a t-shirt or tank top rule.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If I looked like you I would go with the sports bra. I don't see very many of the ladies doing that at mine. I do see a lot of tanks though. I would recommend that since you sweat and get hot that you buy something that is a wicking material. I find them MUCH more comfortable when I sweat like a pig!
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a sports bra when I worked out at the gym.. I didn't do it for attention, it's just how I felt the most comfortable.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    To mimic the others....not allowed at our gym. Must have proper shoes and full coverage.
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    It's not allowed at my gym, but when I'm running outside I'm almost always in just a sports bra. Inside, though, I still prefer a wifebeater over my tank top, rather than a t shirt... better air circulation, and much cooler. I've had some luck with tech fabric tanks as well.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I work out (and work) at the Y and I have never seen a girl in a sports bra. I think they would get glared at if they did wear one...

Personally, I'm not comfortable enough with my stomach to do that. I have gone for runs outside without a shirt on though. But that was way back in the day when I was a college swimmer and had a tight little tummy
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I used to always just wear a sports bra as nobody ever seems to be as hot and sweaty as me. Imagine my embarrassment when I joined a new gym and I was on the treadmill doing my thing and staff came to tell me I was inappropriately dressed and needed to wear a T-shirt. I don't get it...but, to save yourself an uncomfortable situation find out the gym's dresscode. Other than that...wear what makes you comfy!! It's your freaking workout.