Workout Burn Out

Options
I think I just had what could be the worst possible workout ever. I at least pumped out 20 minutes on the elliptical. I fear this might be a result of burnout from all the running that I have been doing this week totaling, so far, 10 miles (over four days of working out). Does anyone have experience with training for 5Ks? I've run three days this week for three miles. I did the elliptical today for a mile and a half. I felt like I was doing so well but for some reason, today really sucked....

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take a rest day, those are important too! Otherwise, what about mixing up workouts...sounds like you mostly run and do the elliptical. How about a bike, exercise DVD or class at the gym?
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    This was the first week I have done so much running. I typically switch it up between spinning, running, elliptical, 30 Day Shred and Power 90.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This was the first week I have done so much running. I typically switch it up between spinning, running, elliptical, 30 Day Shred and Power 90.

All cardio and no resistance training makes Jack something something. Get those resistance days in!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options

All cardio and no resistance training makes Jack something something. Get those resistance days in!

Bah. I strength train, trust me. I'm more talking about training for my many road races this summer!
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Bah. I strength train, trust me. I'm more talking about training for my many road races this summer!

How many road races do you typically do? I think it is a great idea to sign up for races, whether biking or running, and use that goal as a training focus. That's awesome.

I don't think I could do a 5k right now, but I have never been much of a runner. I want to try one before the year is out, however. For me, it will be a focus on completion, not time.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm with you today! My workout SUCKED! I have a couple of bad blisters from all the running I've been doing all week and so I hit the bike today but just couldn't get into it. Don't worry you'll do better tomorrow! I'm just considering this my 'rest' day and will get back to the grind tomorrow! Good Luck!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's hard to train like an athlete while eating like an indolent.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I spent a big chunk of the last year training for a half marathon after only being a sporadic runner before that (at best). I learned the hard way that when you have a day like that you need to listen to your body. There is something to be said for pushing through when you don't want to go running and getting up and going anyway. But usually in those cases you feel better once you get out and get going. A workout like you had today signals to me that you need a recovery day. That doesn't mean don't do anything...just do something different. Walking is actually really good cross training for running.

Best of luck with your racing schedule!