New to running, foot pain.

Options
Hello,
I've tried running in the past, couch to 5k kinda thing. This time I'm just running. I just go until I need to walk etc.
I'm having problems with left foot. It doesn't hurt when I run, but it does after. Along the out side of my foot and under a bit. Today it's a bit swollen. I don't know if I just need to build muscle or if its my shoes. It's just on one foot.

Replies

• aneksteind
    Options
    You could have a few problems on your hands; Poor running form, poor posture, old shoes.

Running form - running form is key to minimize impact on both your shoes and your feet. Make sure your arms lead slightly before your legs, and concentrate on stride length rather than speed.

Poor posture - if your dominant leg is your right, you are relying more on it when you stand/walk/jog/sprint. This imbalance can cause discomfort in your non-dominant foot/leg. To help with this problem, practice good posture techniques, checking yourself every so often.

Old running shoes - if you haven't been keeping track of your running miles in your running shoes, start. How much rubber/tread is left on your shoe? Running shoes only last about 200-400 miles depending on the quality.

Hope this helps.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You probably need either new shoes that address your striking style or orthodics for your current shoe that do the same. Go to a running specialty store and they should be able to hook you up.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You probably need either new shoes that address your striking style or orthodics for your current shoe that do the same. Go to a running specialty store and they should be able to hook you up.

...what he said.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'd see a Podiatrist before you cause permanent damage. Take the shoes you run in with you. Good luck!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. You should also look into doing some stretches with your feet. If you roll your foot on a golf ball, it helps stretch out the fascia. But do be careful because if you already tore it, that could do more damage. For now, get better shoes and walk. Work back into running when your feet feels better.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would say to take it easy and ease into running.
    I started running about a year ago and am currently training for my first half - and I did the same thing! I was so eager to "be a runner" that I rushed it, and ended up with several injuries to work through.
    Give your muscle's time to adapt, change and grow stronger - and don't be afraid to seek out physio that does deep tissue needling to help you get better!
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would say to take it easy and ease into running.
    I started running about a year ago and am currently training for my first half - and I did the same thing! I was so eager to "be a runner" that I rushed it, and ended up with several injuries to work through.
    Give your muscle's time to adapt, change and grow stronger - and don't be afraid to seek out physio that does deep tissue needling to help you get better!

Oh and p.s.- if your foot is swollen alternate icing and heat for a night (ending on ice) to help control the swelling
  • estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Be really careful. I ran for years on the treadmill, no problem. One day I decided to run outdoors and that's when the pains began. Knee pains, hip pain, you name it then one day I couldn't run anymore and turns out I have a stress fracture. Now I haven't been able to run in 3 months. Running injuries take longer to heal too. Anyway, not to scare you, just be careful, listen to your body and yes, buy good running shoes, I like Asics.. Good luck!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. You should also look into doing some stretches with your feet. If you roll your foot on a golf ball, it helps stretch out the fascia. But do be careful because if you already tore it, that could do more damage. For now, get better shoes and walk. Work back into running when your feet feels better.

Re: The specialty store - any good suggestions for particular running shoe stores? I have sports stores in the area (D.ick's, Sports Authority) but I'm not sure this is what you all mean by a specialty running store?
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    For what it's worth, when I started running last summer i experienced leg pains and cramps for a good six months. I don't know if this is normal or not, but now I'm running pain free. Be sure to drink a lot and don't push yourself through the pain. Good luck.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions for good running specialty stores?

I recently replaced my New Balance shoes with Skechers Cross-Training shoes, and I really do not like them for jogging.

Would love to find a place that could actually fit me properly for running shoes (and I can keep my cross-trainers for non-impact training, weight lifting, etc.).
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You should see a podiatrist. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome in both feet, where I get pain and numbness when I walk, do elliptical, etc. But there could be a lot of things going on, and before you make it worse, see someone. Take your shoes with you.

For me, my first few months of running, everything hurt, feet, knees, legs, but the stronger I got, the less pain I had. Just don't push through real pain, make sure you get it checked out.
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is, it never hurts during my run. It's always after, and only when I walk. I went to the grocery store today about 2 hours after my run and came out limping. I never had it before I started running.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    please please don't push it when you have pains from running.

I started running last year and pulled ligaments in my knees then my ankles. I couldn't run for months and had to spend a small fortune seeing a physio.

In the end, I got a gait analysis done and spent 100euro on a pair of Asics cumulus runners. They are the biz. I have to improve my running technique also.

There are shops here (in Ireland) that offer the gait analysis for free. It's sooooo worth it.

Please don't ignore the pain/swelling. It's there for a reason. My kneecap now floats and my ankles burn slightly from running but I do my exercises and they are ok.
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I ran again on Friday, then did 30 day shred! It felt great! I was SO excited, I burned 505 calories! But YIKES my foot was so so sore after. Saturday it was awful. I rested all day, iced and heated. Today (Sunday) it is better but still sore. I think doing the 2 activities did it in. I'm so frustrated I want to cry :( I am LOVING running. Really loving it. I won't do exercise again tomorrow and try again Tuesday. Next Monday I will be in a different town that has a specialty running store so I'll get fitted for new shoes!