gym help.

I want to go work out at the gym but i have NOOOO idea where to start, and what to do to help shed the pounds...

Replies

• Cardio: 20-30 minutes per day, 4-6 days per week. Start out slow, or else you'll end up thinking it's too hard and you'll give up. Good forms of cardio include jogging and jump rope. I try to stray away from the machines, especially the elliptical. Although it reduces impact, jogging burns more calories.

Weight training: Try weight training 6 days per week with 1 day of rest. Each day is a different body part (back, chest, abs, shoulders, abs, legs). If you train these really intensly, give yourself a week's recovery time. Otherwise you can clump body parts together to do on the same day, with less rest days.

Do you know what 90% of losing weight is? DIET! Try to cut calories by 20% max. You "could" go for a diet plan like carb cutting, but you'll notice a drop in energy before you notice a drop in pounds.

Hope this helps.
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    I just started in the gym 5 weeks ago, and was just like you,, didn't know where to start! I would also recommend starting slowly, you don't want to over do it straight away,,, i downloaded the C25K (couch to 5K) app on my phone and have been following the programme and am now jogging for 25 mins at a time!! I would highly recommend it,, it gradually takes you along at a safe and managable pace!! Hope this helps!! xx
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    A lot of gyms will set you up with a personal trainer (usually for free) for one or two sessions to teach you how to utilize the equipment properly and even give you a beginner plan to start you off. Don't hesitate to ask the front desk about this. Also consider some group fitness classes that you can learn from and motivate you. Good luck!
  • my thing is, i dont like asking for help. lol i dont have the courage in myself to.
  • I just started in the gym 5 weeks ago, and was just like you,, didn't know where to start! I would also recommend starting slowly, you don't want to over do it straight away,,, i downloaded the C25K (couch to 5K) app on my phone and have been following the programme and am now jogging for 25 mins at a time!! I would highly recommend it,, it gradually takes you along at a safe and managable pace!! Hope this helps!! xx

free version or paid?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Then it's a great thing that you live in the age of the interwebs!!

There are a ton of great resources on line that can help set you up with some beginners strength and cardio programs. Perhaps some kind people here might be kind enough to brainstorm a few resouces where some routines/form guides might be found.

I know Ripptoe is good for form for your lifting, bodybuilding.com (dont be scared off by the name :wink: ) has some beginner nutrition and routine suggestions, as well as a huge list of exercises and form guides. Check out youtube too for examples of how to perform exercises - learning good form to start with is critical for working out safely.

I'll come back when I think of some more....
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    I started workig out at a gym 7 moths ago. I had never really been iside a gym!! I started at the treadmill. Headphones, water ad I started walking. Over several days, I learned how to use the machine. Switched it up to the elliptical which I find to be a great workout with a good calorie burn. Since I had very low muscle tone, this was easy on my joints. Now I jog, walk, bike, do some circuit training and several group classes (which are fantastic and will keep you coming back). I usually go 5 times a week. Good luck and remember that there are so many people that come in not knowing what to expect. As you progress in your workouts, you will witness many, many folks coming through the doors brand new. Makes me smile now bc I'm so proud of myself for just doing it!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    I have the Big Book of Exercises for Women. It's awesome. Has all sorts of exercises and plans. It has helped me a ton!