Pregancy and weight loss

So just found out I'm expecting.:flowerforyou:
What are peoples thought about weightloss and pregancy?

i'm not looking to lose heaps of weight but hoping to not put much on as I'm 93kg already.
I don't have bad morning sickness so not off my food but do want to eat healthy.

Any personal experances.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I got pregnant with my first at 193lbs (I'm 5'7"). Even though that is borderline between overweight and obese, my dr still wanted to to aim for 20-30 pounds gained throughout the pregnancy, and I stayed on target until the end when I put on 30 pounds in the last month, mostly water due to pih/pre-e. My second, I started at 211, so well into obese. My dr only wanted me to gain 10-15 pounds, and I finished with a 20 pound gain. My youngest daughter is now 5 months old, and I'm down to 207.8.

I truly honestly would not try to lose weight while pregnant, you don't need to gain anything in the first trimester. But definitely get your dr's opinion.

Wishing you a happy, healthy 9 months!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    If you just eat right and only indulge your cravings a couple of times a week the weight you gain will go to the baby and you will both be healthy, plus it will make it a lot easier to lose what you have gained during your pregnancy once your little bundle is born. Congrats! :)
  • lynnsf
    lynnsf Posts: 20 Member
    I would discuss this with my doctor if I were you. But eating healthy foods and getting safe exercise is fine. I'm not sure the goal should be to lose weight. I do know people that did lose weight - but it was because of nausea, not because they intended to.

And Congratulations!
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    i know two women, one of them was my sister in law who both lost weight and delivered healthy babies.... big ones.. lol. it was recomended by their doctors and were givin a calorie goal and they stuck to it. and it worked. my sister lost 25 pounds, my friend lost 30 in the first trimester and when she gave birth it zeroed out so she gained none. good luck to you. I would suggest talking to a dietician or nutrtionist
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    When I was pregnant with my son I immediately changed my diet to a healthier one that would be best for him. I kept my body healthy and I lost weight because I was only eating things that would help him. I ended up losing about 15 pounds while pregnant and my doctor was happy with it, however I am obese and had weight to lose anyway. I think if you do it right and not starve yourself or your baby then you will be okay to lose weight while pregnant. Congrats by the way.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    There have been studies done that show that losing weight (with plenty of healthy eating and normal excercise) while being obese and pregnant, is a good thing.

Just don't over do the excercise and eat a normal healthy amount of calories. A pregnant woman only needs 300 more calories a day than a non-pregnant woman.

The old myth about "eating for two" is just an excuse for pregnant women to gorge, lol. I wish someone would have explained that to me with my first. I gained 60lbs with him =(
  • I started each of my pregnancies overweight or obese. Because of that and watching my sister gain 40-50 pounds with each of her pregnancies, I was determined I would not gain much. When I was 6 months pregnant with my second, I began a weight loss class. I learned so much about nutrition and portion control. A few weeks after David was born, I weighed about 15 pounds less than when i had conceived him. I Only wish I had continued that lifestyle for the next 11 1/2 years. Just be good to you and the baby.