How much inches should I expect to lose in a month?

Options
I think I have done well with my weightloss this past month. I lost 7lbs in Feb. I only lost 1 inch to my waist,1 inch to my hips and a half an inch each to my arms. I didn't lose anything from my thighs :(

Replies

• BrandyWalldren
    BrandyWalldren Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am very frustrated, but honestly am not sure what is an average amount to expect to lose.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've never found a magic formula. A lot of it depends on what kind of exercise you're doing and how much muscle you're building I think. I started January 1 and only lost 2 lbs the whole month, BUT I lost 17.75". February I lost 10 lbs. and another 8". I was doing a lot of strength training with 10 lb dumbbells. I'm sure the inches lost will slow down now. Just keep at it and you'll see results.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    there really is no way to answer that question. it depends on so many factors. what is your height/weight/level of exercise/calories in vs out/personal level of metabolism? even if we knew all that it would be hard to say. i have only taken measurements twice so far, so i don't have much info to give you. i lost 12 inches total in a month, but i only have the one month to report so no average.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your current fitness level and the type of changes you make to lose weight. A person who is new to exercising and dieting will lose more quicker than someone who work out all the time.
  • ceejanerun
    Options
    I think generally, excess weight is stored from the bottom up. Meaning hips and thighs first. Weight is lost in reverse - so comes off the face and neck first - off the hips and thighs later.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how you shed weight is going to be determined by your genetics. sorry to contradict the previous poster but bottom up is only valid IF someone is pear shaped.

generally speaking speaking, the first place you notice weight gain will be the most stubborn to lose and the last place you gain will be the easiest. For instance for me, I've noticed huge changes on my belly, moderate changes to my thighs and no changes to my chest. i'm sorta an hourglass so belly flab is the main place my body wants to shed from but fat also comes off from other places as well.

depending on your body to begin with, the amount of inches you lose will depend on lot on the quality of weight training you are doing. lift with heavy weights/low reps and you will lose more fat than if you lifted with light weights/high reps.

i take my measurements twice a month and i'd say by the end of the month i'm averaging 5-6" loss total from the places i measure (chest, waist, navel, hips, upper thighs and middle thigh. what's really funny is that i'm losing at different rates from each thigh :laugh: i'm losing about 8 pounds a month, so i guess for me that means each pound equates to 3/4 of an inch
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    how you shed weight is going to be determined by your genetics. sorry to contradict the previous poster but bottom up is only valid IF someone is pear shaped.

Sorry to contradict your contradiction, but I'm apple shaped and I gained from the bottom up and lost from the top down. "Bottom" just starts higher on my anatomy than it does for someone who is pear shaped - my hips, belly, and lower back, not my thighs and butt. I had the pudgy belly and the wide rump before I had the spare tire and long before I had side boobs, and lost them in the reverse order.
  • Callie33021
    Callie33021 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been very physically active, have been eating healthy foods, and have been staying within my daily calorie range. Although I have not been getting on a scale, since March, I have dropped 6 clothing sizes. My upper and lower abdominal areas have held onto stubborn fat. I seem to be losing about 2 inches per month in the waist area. I have a goal to comfortably fit into an old favorite pair of jeans by end of October. To do so, I would need to lose about 3 more inches in the waist. I think it's possible, but since the abdomen is one of my stubborn areas, I might need to change my exercise routine to attain this goal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread. Impressive inches there, Callie.