Nighttime Post-Workout Snack?

Options
Hello!

I am wondering if anyone can educate me on what a good nighttime post-workout snack would be. Usually if I exercise earlier in the day, I'll eat something like natural peanut butter on a piece of bread or a piece of cheese or something small that fills me up. I'm pretty new to MFP and only just recently decided it's time to get serious about eating right and exercising, so I am planning to start doing my Biggest Loser Challenge for Wii several evenings per week, even if I've already gone to the gym to get regular cardio routine in. The problem is, I don't know what's "safe" to eat at night since I've always been told you canNOT eat even the smallest morsel of food within 3 hours of going to bed.

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The problem is, I don't know what's "safe" to eat at night since I've always been told you canNOT eat even the smallest morsel of food within 3 hours of going to bed.

This isn't your fault, but you've been told wrong.

Don't let the clock dictate your meal choices. Eating late does the same thing as eating early. It contributes to your total daily intake of food. Keep this total daily intake under control and you win, whether you choose to eat right before bed, or in the AM, or somewhere in between.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All foods are safe at night (although i suppose I should point out, I'd stay away from synthetic trans fats). The whole not eating at night thing is a myth. So assuming you are maintaining a caloric deficit, it won't have an effect on your weight loss, if you eat at night.
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, protein shake, greek yogurt....
  • mmccarp
    mmccarp Posts: 9
    Options
    I will eat either a banana or maybe a cheese stick or a yoplait chocolate mousse whips yogurt that i had sitting in the freezer. I think in the end its what works for you because not everybody is the same. if you are eating a certain thing and you are noticing that the weight is either not coming off or is going back on then you should re evaluate. there is probably no help for you in all this rambling but it's all i got.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a snickers or a slice of pie or cake.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    All foods are safe at night (although i suppose I should point out, I'd stay away from synthetic trans fats). The whole not eating at night thing is a myth. So assuming you are maintaining a caloric deficit, it won't have an effect on your weight loss, if you eat at night.
    awesome, some people say never eat past 7 or don't eat carbs in the evening...that would be so hard
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I find that a nice warm bowl of oatmeal at night helps set the right tone for winding down at night. Makes me feel full, makes me feel warm, and makes me a little sleepy.
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, protein shake, greek yogurt....

Exactly right. I have a protein shake post workout. It gives me the protein, carbs from the milk and amino acids my body needs after a workout. my dietician suggests cottage cheese, he calls it a super food. It coats the stomach and feeds the body all night while you sleep.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like eggs personally. Especially on a small salad.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay at a caloric deficit, it doesn't really matter. Obviously you're going to want some protein and carbs after a workout, but time of day is irrelevant.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Eat enough to feel full. Don't skip on food just because you think that certain foods are too many calories. I eat at night usually up until an hour before bed and it does'nt bother me. Of course I run my butt off everyday too, literally , but thats how I like it!:happy:
  • SpiritRosr
    Options
    Same as the rest. Calories do not know what time it is. Simply stick to the basics of what you would normally eat, or should eat, after a workout. The other post workout tip is to keep hydrated afterward becuase of the water loss from sweat.
  • megz457
    megz457 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have done some reading and the experts suggested that you eat within 20-60 minutes after your workout so that your body uses what you have eaten to build muscle. They also suggest you eat a little more carbs then protein after your workout. I am going to try this and see what happens.