Allergies

Options
MaraDiaz
MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
:sad: So it's warm here already. And suddenly I want to eat everything, and double of it if it has tons of fat and sugar in it. I had to shave 15 minutes off my workout, and I can barely manage a workout every other day now. Plus, super clumsy. And forgetting how to spell simple words like 'and' and 'but'. Never mind those grammatically complex sentences like, "See Mara not work out. See Mara not lose weight. See Mara gain weight."

I've tried every allergy medication the doctor has and nothing works. Aside from moving off the east coast (which I would love to do but can't yet), is there any hope for me out there?

Replies

• ErinNichole76
    ErinNichole76 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel your Allergy woes. I grew up in the Baltimore DC area and started being affected by allergies in my late teens.
    I moved to the Dallas Ft Worth area of Texas 12 years ago and thought I was no longer allergic to things. Until 7 years ago when I could barely get out of bed on certain days in February & September. On Bad Days I was taking 2 Claritin & 2 Zyrtec pills a day, each pill was 'supposed' to last 24 hrs. I probably should not have been allowed to operate a vehicle on those days. I finally gave into my allergist's request and started shot therapy (where they inject you with the things you are allergic to) 4 years ago. I feel so much better! Yes I still have to take my Xyzal everyday and some days I take a Zyrtec in the afternoon too. My eyes get agitated on occasion but I have drops for that. And if I'm traveling anywhere a few days in advance of the trip, I prep myself by starting my nasal spray too. My allergies are so severe I will need monthly shots for probably the majority of the rest of my life and a daily pill or two. But then again I know full well I'm allergic to cats & dogs and I still choose to adopt 1cat & 2 dogs.

If needles freak you out, you could try the new Drop therapy. I think the first few sessions you do at the doc's office but then the medicine is shipping direct to you. I've heard you just drip a couple drops under your tongue, let it set there a minute, then go about your day. My neighbor uses them and likes the convenience of being able to do it at home. My doc said I'm too allergic to everything for those to be of any use to me and I would have to start at the very beginning again. Plus my insurance doesn't cover the drops but it does cover the shots.

Best Wishes to you!
  • worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy do I understand your issue!! I take claritin D 12 hour year round!! I too tried everything and anything the dr prescribed and nothing worked. The 12 hr Claritin D is the only thing that works and I feel like an addict every month when I have to go to the pharmacy and show my license to buy it. Its odd too since its the only thing I've ever tried that doesn't make me feel loopy yet its the only thing I've had to show ID for!! I do the 12 hr because I noticed that the 24 hr seemed to wear off at around the same hour mark as the 12 but I can take another 12 hr if its that bad as opposed to the 24 hr and having to wait longer. Does that make any sense?

I'm sure you've tried it all but a few things that work for me are not wearing any clothes that I've worn outside while in my house.

I don't eat tree grown fruit when my allergies are in full swing and I sleep with both a humidifier and a fan on.

When I was tested a few years back my allergist told me I was allergic to 19 of the 20 things I was tested for. His advice? move to the west coast. Not very helpful!!!

I'm sorry you're struggling but I hope it gets better, if not tolerable, soon!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Clariten D makes me super mean. Kind of surprised about the humidifier, dryer air seems to help me. Blasting the AC is too expensive to do 24/7 though.

Those shots are starting to sound like a plan, Erin. I wonder if they'd work for mold/random pollutants/ragweed/and who the heck knows what else?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get hungry on antihistamines. Ones like Allegra with less effect on the brain may have less effect on your appetite, too.

Inhaled allergies aren't like being allergic to peanuts where one little bit and you die. It's a dose effect. If you are exposed to more than a certain total amount of pollen/dust/mold spores for more than a certain length of time, it reaches the threshold where you notice it, and above that it makes you increasingly miserable. Even if you can't avoid it altogether, reducing the quantity of exposure may make a big difference.

- Dryness is good if you are allergic to dust or molds. Dust mites multiply more in humid air.
    - HEPA air filters are definitely worth it, expecially in your bedroom. They remove particles as small as dust mite droppings. They are expensive because replacement filters cost a lot; you use cheaper pre-filters to make the HEPA filters last longer. You can also get HEPA vacuum cleaners
    - Get mattress and pillow covers. Even if it's the pollen driving you crazy, the dust ADDS to the total. So reducing the dust exposure helps during pollen season. Your bedding is dust mite heaven, because they live on the microscopic flakes that come off your skin and because your body creates more humidity for them. (If you get bed bugs, having covered things in advance will make your life infinitely easier, too.)
    - Keep pets out of the bedroom, even if they aren't strong allergens for you.
    - Keep the windows shut and use air conditioners. Try to avoid rugs and stuffed things around you if possible.
    - Roaches are strong causes of allergies. If they're a problem where you live, it's worth trying to modify your home to discourage them (no pet food left out, all food in sealed containers, put the trash out in a metal can every night, etc.) Professional exterminators have access to pesticides you can't get without a license.
    -
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    A lot of people get hungry on antihistamines. Ones like Allegra with less effect on the brain may have less effect on your appetite, too.

Inhaled allergies aren't like being allergic to peanuts where one little bit and you die. It's a dose effect. If you are exposed to more than a certain total amount of pollen/dust/mold spores for more than a certain length of time, it reaches the threshold where you notice it, and above that it makes you increasingly miserable. Even if you can't avoid it altogether, reducing the quantity of exposure may make a big difference.

- Dryness is good if you are allergic to dust or molds. Dust mites multiply more in humid air.
    - HEPA air filters are definitely worth it, expecially in your bedroom. They remove particles as small as dust mite droppings. They are expensive because replacement filters cost a lot; you use cheaper pre-filters to make the HEPA filters last longer. You can also get HEPA vacuum cleaners
    - Get mattress and pillow covers. Even if it's the pollen driving you crazy, the dust ADDS to the total. So reducing the dust exposure helps during pollen season. Your bedding is dust mite heaven, because they live on the microscopic flakes that come off your skin and because your body creates more humidity for them. (If you get bed bugs, having covered things in advance will make your life infinitely easier, too.)
    - Keep pets out of the bedroom, even if they aren't strong allergens for you.
    - Keep the windows shut and use air conditioners. Try to avoid rugs and stuffed things around you if possible.
    - Roaches are strong causes of allergies. If they're a problem where you live, it's worth trying to modify your home to discourage them (no pet food left out, all food in sealed containers, put the trash out in a metal can every night, etc.) Professional exterminators have access to pesticides you can't get without a license.
    -

This is some good stuff. Thanks, except now I'm looking around my very cluttered and untidy room and thinking it might be time for some more new habits!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is some good stuff. Thanks, except now I'm looking around my very cluttered and untidy room and thinking it might be time for some more new habits!

Yeah, last summer when we dealt with bedbugs (daughter brought them home from a slumber party, we think), we realized why wealthy people in the pre-DDT era had separate rooms for their clothes. It's much easier to control bed bugs if the only thing in the bedroom is the bed.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have read that a spoonful of raw, local honey can help tremendously with allergies. It has to be raw and local though, because that way it has all of the pollens from your immediate area.

This article goes into the pros and cons

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/allergy-treatments/local-honey-for-allergies.htm

Sounds like its worth a try and if it doesn't work, stop doing it!