High Anxiety..

Options
I didn't really know where else to put this.

So lately I've been having bad anxiety attacks, for whatever reason. And they've been happening pretty regularly. I refuse to go in to the doctor and get a prescription for it, so do any of you have any tips on how to relieve anxiety naturally?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't have high anxiety but I do have some. It runs in my family. What works the best for me is that I get a workout in when I start feeling the anxiety level going up. I also started taking melatonin to help me sleep at night. I been out of it for a couple of nights and I been feeing really anxious today. Do you drink a lot of coffee or soda with caffiene that could be a cause. I tend to drink way too much diet dr pepper but in the past when I gave it up I didn't have as many attacks. Hope I helped.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Try meditating.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Try meditating.

^^ This x1000 ^^ I was in counseling for anxiety and it was recommend to me. It's fantastic
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Get to the root of why your anxious shoot it and be greatly awesome as you are.
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have general anxiety disorder, and went through a bit of a phase where I would get anxiety attacks to the point where I couldn't work my entire shift, had to leave classes early, and avoided going out whenever possible. I don't know what will work for you, but I devised a little system for myself that helped a lot.

The first thing I had to do was get away from wherever I was. Going to the washroom, going outside, even just going into a different room. Getting myself out of the place where the anxiety crept up helped a lot. Then I had to sit for a minute or two and think very hard about what I was doing. From what I understand anxiety is completely different for everyone, but for me it was an irrational feeling that *something* bad would happen. Sometimes there were triggers, like a strange sound or a weird sight, but more often that not it appeared out of nowhere. Taking the time to think about where I was and what I was doing did a lot to help out. I'd think about how many times I'd been in the exact same place doing the exact same thing and how nothing bad had ever actually happened. I just had to get the rational part of my brain back in control.

I went through some cognitive therapy to help work through it, and the doctor I saw told me that anxiety disorder is just a leftover survival instinct from when humans were hunter/gatherers living out in the open. Back then, if you assumed every strange noise or flash out of the corner of your eye was a tiger, you'd live longer. Having a well-developed flight response could mean the difference between making it back home and getting yourself killed. Doesn't really apply today, though. If all else fails, thinking about the likelihood of a tiger jumping out from behind my professor usually distracts me long enough to pull myself back together :)

If you're really having a hard time, consider seeing your doctor. I didn't want to go on medication for it either, so we went with therapy. Understanding why I felt the way I did and learning techniques for dealing with it really helped.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Try this, when feeling Anxiety, dont try to run from the feelings, let all feeling be there, say hello to them, shake them by the hand, and you will notice that the feelings lose there edge, a lot of people try to fight the feelings, but you know by now that that doesnt work as the feelings are still there, so try the opposite, nothing bad with happen, I have suffered for years till I tried this method, and my anxiety was reduced by a least 80%.