How can I satisfy my sweet tooth without going over sugar al

Options
I have 2xweight watchers yoghurts with frozen fruit (berries) a day, one after lunch and one after dinner. I also have a mini bag of maltesers at night as a treat. Even an orange seems to be high in sugar and I always end up over my sugar allowance.. Has anyone any suggestions to satisfy my need for something sweet after a meal but low in sugar?

Replies

• snookybear
    Options
    Try Cinnamon and / or take Chromium (has worked for me)
    info from a Heath food website

Chromium is a trace mineral required for insulin to work properly, helping sugar to move into the cells efficiently. It is found in liver, brewers yeast, wheat germ, and mushrooms. A good multivitamin will also have some chromium in it, and some supplements are available that have a therapeutic dose of chromium for blood sugar imbalances. A therapeutic dose is at least 200mcg of 'elemental' chromium, but don't take large amounts for long periods of time without seeing a natural health professional.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    ^snookybear's reply is very interesting and I'm keen to go research that more an apply it if my current multi-vit isn't providing sufficient levels.

A totally non science answer...I keep a bag of galaxy minstrels in the fridge and when I'm craving some sweet stuff I grab one or two and let them slowly, slowly melt in my mouth. Seems to be enough for me.

The other thing I use is the Options hot chocolate drink. I'm sure it's full of all kinds of junky sweetners since it's only 38 cals a serving but it tastes great. Difficult to mix with a spoon though, it stays clumpy so I use a little whisk.
  • RuachFwb
    RuachFwb Posts: 1
    Options
    When I feel the need to have some sugar I tend to opt for a handful of almonds and cranberries. It works for me who felt the need to have chocolate in her diet everyday!
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    Not the most healthy thing in the world but if I want a treat I always go for the little ready made up pots of jelly - they're only about 10 calories, depending on brand, and are really scrummy (and only 2g of sugar).
  • BrilliantSugar
    Options
    I'm not sure how other people feel about 'sugar free' products because of sweeteners and whatnot, but I buy these little sachets of sugar free jello that you dissolve in a half pint of boiling water and top up with a pint of cold water. It makes a huge bowl of jello, four portions, and each one is something like ten calories. Sometimes if I'm not sure about how my day is gonna go and worry I might have cravings, I make one up and stick it in the fridge and then it's always there for a guilt free snack.
  • BrilliantSugar
    Options
    Not the most healthy thing in the world but if I want a treat I always go for the little ready made up pots of jelly - they're only about 10 calories, depending on brand, and are really scrummy (and only 2g of sugar).

Oh, snap! Just seen your reply now!