Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Training for a Half Marathon

I am currently training for a half marathon. I have never been much of a runner but this is something that I really want to do. I am only about half way there and the half marathon that I want to run is in exactly two months.

Would love to hear some Tips, Encouragement, Lessons, etc

You can even add me as a friend if you are training as well!

Replies

• joannkh
    joannkh Posts: 1
    I ran two halves last year & the key for me was printing out and following a training plan. Look for one that allows you to add distance to your long run once a week. This will help you meet the goal in 2 months. Good luck! You can totally do it!!!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Good luck! I'm doing my third half this weekend and I feel better prepared for this one that the last two.

My main tip would be to increase your mileage gradually and don't try to do too much too fast as that is how you will pick up injuries.

Cross training is also great and I think the reason I'm feeling more prepared is because I have been doing weights in the gym a lot more and my legs are stronger than before.

Hope that your training goes well!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's marathon plans for the long run mileage progression, but make sure you vary your mid-week runs so they're not at the same speed, so add intervals and a tempo run. If you follow a plan that uses time instead of mileage, be realistic about whether that will get you round if you're slow like me, and add extra time as appropriate.

Get used to fuelling on the go on your runs over an hour, whether you use gels, energy drinks or jelly beans.

Good luck!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's marathon plans for the long run mileage progression, but make sure you vary your mid-week runs so they're not at the same speed, so add intervals and a tempo run. If you follow a plan that uses time instead of mileage, be realistic about whether that will get you round if you're slow like me, and add extra time as appropriate.

Get used to fuelling on the go on your runs over an hour, whether you use gels, energy drinks or jelly beans.

Good luck!

Yeah, what she said.

I'm sort of following Hal Higgon's plan. I listen to my body and try to get those long runs in. My half marathon is in 3 weeks. I got in my long run yesterday. 16 miles. : ) (Working towards that marathon in May).
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    I did three halfs and really liked the Jeff Galloway method, and was really surprised at the variety of weights and body shapes out there.

Remember that the goal is to FINISH, not win.
    Walking fast for part of it can get you to the end without as much stress to your body.
    DRINK at each aid station - a friend didnt listen to me on this one and ended up dehydrated. Don't worry, you'll sweat it out.
    HAVE FUN or why do it?
    Do NOT wear new shoes for the first time on a long run or the day of the half. Break them in slowly. Blisters are NOT fun.
    Get some double layer socks like Wright brand to reduce the friction on your skin and reduce potential blisters.
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member

Good luck!

so for mid week run, say it's 3 miles. I would do intervals for these 3 miles? What is the recomended intervals? 2 min/1 min?

What is a tempo run?
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Can you train with a friend? I do runs on my own too, but I find it so much easier when I train with a friend or friends. By the time we have had a bit of a yarn about our week, the next thing you know the run is done! :happy:

Intervals are essential too (we don't talk when doing those lol!) and will increase your stamina and overall fitness considerably. I'd echo what others have said here about strength trining and cross training (ie doing other forms of exercise). Stronger muscles means easier runs and doing a variety of exercise reduces likelyhood of injury.

Get an amazing sports bra too, I an't live without "Shockabsorber Run' bras. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member

so for mid week run, say it's 3 miles. I would do intervals for these 3 miles? What is the recomended intervals? 2 min/1 min?

What is a tempo run?
    For intervals, warm up for one mile at a steady jog. They can vary. If you do them reasonably fast you could do 1 minute fast then 1-2 minute jog recovery. But if you do high-intensity intervals as fast as you can, you wouldn't want to go for more than 30 seconds with 90 second - 2 minute recovery. Cool down with another steady jog. Read around and see what works for you.

Tempo runs are race pace, so pushing yourself but not so much you have to slow down mid-way.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    [/quote]

"What is a tempo run?"
    [/quote]

A tempo run is, you warm up for one mile at an easy pace, than run at your race pace or a little faster for a few miles and than run an easy mile to cool down... you can do the mileage based on where your fitness is at...try and do tempo pace for at least 2 miles...

intervals are done at whatever your body can stand...if you are going to do a full out sprint, shoot for just 30-45 seconds, if you are just going to increase your speed by a little bit than run for longer....paly around with it, there isn't a right or wrong way

There are some great training guides on the internet, especially at runners world...

Main thing is to have fun...for your first race just focus on finishing the race...make sure you get in 12-13 miles a few weeks prior to race so you know that you can do it....