Can you build muscle but still not gain? (Running)

Options
I've just started running after a break in the winter, and i'm noticing the scales creeping up again. I *know* it's because i'm building muscle but can i still lose while the muscle is building? i'm losing inches, fair enough, but i can see my goal weight slipping away from me! i'm on around 1200 cals plus whatever i get back from exercise - although i don't always eat them all. i'm 5 foot 2 and 116/117(ish) lbs. my goal weight is 112 lbs.

argh! help!

Replies

• mattjolsen
    Options
    So you're asking if you can still lose fat while building muscle?

Typically, in order to gain muscle, you need a caloric surplus because your body is adding onto itself. And to lose fat, you need a caloric deficit so your body burns away some of itself. But, some folks hit that "sweet spot" where they're burning a little fat and gaining a little muscle at the same time. It's not typical, but certainly possible. So yes and no.

Since you're at a caloric deficit, I wouldn't worry. You're challenging your body and it's responding by adding muscle and fine-tuning your body composition -- that's a good thing.

I think this quote of yours sums it up:
    "I'm losing inches, fair enough, but I can see my goal weight slipping away from me!"

At some point you have to realize your weight doesn't tell the whole story and doesn't matter that much. If you're gaining muscle and losing inches, who cares about your weight?!?! Your body composition is obviously improving; you're getting fit and healthy.

If you focus on just your weight goals, you'll end up sacrificing your overall fitness and composition.

This is always my rule of thumb: Make sure your diet is in check and be active. What your body ends up doing is what it's meant to do. If you're eating well and exercising, your body will respond in a way to adapt to that behavior. If you're living an overall healthy lifestyle, your body will reflect that.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    what a brilliant, common sense post :D thank you - really helpful. in real life i'm doing this alone, without any support. i love coming on here and getting a boost.

thanks again. x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

At some point you have to realize your weight doesn't tell the whole story and doesn't matter that much. If you're gaining muscle and losing inches, who cares about your weight?!?! Your body composition is obviously improving; you're getting fit and healthy.

If you focus on just your weight goals, you'll end up sacrificing your overall fitness and composition.

Thank you!

The other thing you'll probably notice with getting back into running is that your resting heart rate starts to drop - one of the best indicators of improved fitness.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that weight measures is the pull of gravity on your body mass. It doesn't measure your body composition, shape, or overall health. You could go to Jupiter and weigh a whole lot less than you do on Earth, but you'd still have the same shape, and you'd still have the same fitness level. If you're losing inches, and improving your muscle health, than I wouldn't worry about the scale at all, because that's just a number telling you how hard the Earth is pulling on you at that given moment.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    maybe it really is time to throw the scales out of the window then? hurrah!!! :D
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    First, running doesnt build muscle, it actually burns muscle. You are losing inches because you are losing fat, and you arent losing lbs because of water retention. Exercise does that.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly you don't have much to lose.. so whatever loss you will have, is going to be slow.

Also, Cardio does not build muscle... Lifting weights is what builds/preserves muscle. Could you be retaining water from these runs? yes.. but is it actual muscle? I personally don't think so.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that weight measures is the pull of gravity on your body mass. It doesn't measure your body composition, shape, or overall health. You could go to Jupiter and weigh a whole lot less than you do on Earth, but you'd still have the same shape, and you'd still have the same fitness level. If you're losing inches, and improving your muscle health, than I wouldn't worry about the scale at all, because that's just a number telling you how hard the Earth is pulling on you at that given moment.

Well, actually on Jupiter you would weigh more because there is a larger gravitational pull. Here's a website to calculate what you weigh on other planets just for fun http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/weight/

But in all seriousness, try to focus on your body composition, instead of the numbers on the scale.
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So you're asking if you can still lose fat while building muscle?

Typically, in order to gain muscle, you need a caloric surplus because your body is adding onto itself. And to lose fat, you need a caloric deficit so your body burns away some of itself. But, some folks hit that "sweet spot" where they're burning a little fat and gaining a little muscle at the same time. It's not typical, but certainly possible. So yes and no.

Since you're at a caloric deficit, I wouldn't worry. You're challenging your body and it's responding by adding muscle and fine-tuning your body composition -- that's a good thing.

I think this quote of yours sums it up:
    "I'm losing inches, fair enough, but I can see my goal weight slipping away from me!"

This is always my rule of thumb: Make sure your diet is in check and be active. What your body ends up doing is what it's meant to do. If you're eating well and exercising, your body will respond in a way to adapt to that behavior. If you're living an overall healthy lifestyle, your body will reflect that.

Yep, what he said.

I trained for a year with diet, weights and cardio and I didn't lose or gain a single pound (which was my intention) BUT my body shape changed completely because I had lost fat and built muscle. Also my fitness level went through the roof!

Remember also that any muscle that you build will burn more calories whether you're sitting watching TV or running a marathon.

Best wishes