Diet and the binge eater

Options
I'm a binge eater and wondered if anyone else on here is, or previously was! This website seems so good I can see what i'm eating, how much i'm eating of the same thing and when i'm binging! It started just before christmas and i've put on 8pounds! On here to loose 8pounds and am going to try so hard to stay on track!

Any success stories out there? Or any advice?

Replies

• NicolaNash
    Options
    I binge when I'm emotional or bored. Can you pick out a reason why you do? It may help.

I went off the diet wagon badly a few months ago and even stopped using MFP as I couldn't bear to see what I was eating and how much. But I'm back on here and back successfully on the diet. I find planning ahead often helps - less likely to break it and eat something for the sake of it if I can't make it fit because the whole day is already planned.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Compulsive, emotional, ED ?
    Anyway - put a beautiful picture of you, fill up your profile, and add me :)
    I'm still dealing with my ED, I "may" have been anorexic - you won't find a magic answer here, rather willing people to support you as much as they could ;)
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    I live with my parents and brother. My mum has anorexia and buys everything unhealthy you can possible think of (very strange I know but I think it's something to do with her feeling comfort with all this bad food being in the house.) Obviously she doesn't eat it.. but because it's there then I eat it!!

I've told her on many times not to buy this food, but I think with her condition she's terrified that i'll end up with her... so i'm ending up the opposite gaining weight. I just eat because it's there... I'll have a biscuit then walk away to my room, then obsessive knowing it's downstairs and go down and eat the whole pack!
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm LRD2010 and I am a binge eater

"*Hi LRD2010*"

Binge eating, food addiction, yup, that's me!

I've spent the last year and 7 months working on my reasons for why I turn to the fridge for comfort when I'm feeling down, depressed, bored whatever.

It's a head melt, but you have to start looking at the reasons why you do what you do before you can truly get yourself healthy. Making sure that you don't swap one addiction for another! (I do talk about swimming quite a lot these days :D)
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yep I do it too. Most around that time of month. Its very hard for me to control it then. I can other times. I workout alot so I get alot of extra calories. Like a couple days ago I used almost all of them. Mine was also sitting infront of the TV at night. If I get where I think Im going to start binging/ I either go do something else or take the dog for a walk. Im not saying it always works. I have also started keeping yogart thats 100 caloreis or less for sweet attacks. Glad you brought this up. I have wanted to for along time. :blushing: :wink:
  • gfosdick1
    Options
    Hi I have binge eating disorder also. Its difficult to change but there is help out there. Took me a long time to find a good therapist but finally did about 8 months ago. First and foremost I have learned that Diets dont work. Also Diets do not cure and eating disorder they can actually perpetuate one. BUT with that being said...... A healthy balance of all foods in controled portions is a goal of mine. To be in control for me is living a life at peace with food. All food should be a part of a healthy diet there are no good or bad choices. This program is great for me because it tracks my calorie intake appropriate for ME. and I can make my own choices on what I feel is healthy eating. I am loosing weight about 1 to 1.5 lbs per week and I do splurge on things i do love. I try to feel my feelings when upset also journaling helps and of course therapy. Food will not fulfill emotional needs so I try to see what it is that I am really craving ,comfort, a hug, talking to a friend ,am I lonely, sad, etc. I do this before I binge and 9 times out of 10 it works but when it doesnt its ok too. I must forgive and move on and try again never giving up. When you practice alot you will eventually learn and develope that muscle in your brain that says NO I do not need to do that to myself today. All of this takes alot of time there is no quick cure for this just practice changeing our reactions to our emotions. I feel for all who have this problem. I so under stand what it does to a life.:smile: Good luck to all :smile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get rid of it when I accepted who I am - took me 23 years of a Life.
    For others it's a trauma, ED is only a SYMPTOM I've figured. It's not the root cause at all.
    It's useless to try to control binges and time-consuming, trying to understand is way more interesting and usefull
    My two cents :)
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mostly I binge when I am feeling sorry for myself. Comfort food!
  • Minnie92x
    Options
    I just ate my lunch, had salad and a smoothie then about 10 sponge fingers! Uhhh stupid sponge fingers :(
  • evafury
    evafury Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too have a compulsive/emotional ED (bouts with anorexia and bulemia as well) and have been working with a therapist for about a year on sorting out WHY that's my go-to response to stress/anger/sadness etc. I agree, that figuring out your triggers is one of the key things. I recently noticed super clearly that when I'm bored or tired, I'm inclined to want to eat junk and (though it probably is so obvious, it never really clicked with me until this week) that I go for food at times when I can't go to sleep if I'm tired, or do something else if I'm bored. It's like my brain goes, "you can't do what you really want, so let's try food since that's available and ok to do right now".

I also just started seeing a nutritionist about a month ago that works with people with histories of EDs and that has made a HUGE difference for me. Not only has she steered me towards healthier foods (more fruits and veggies) she suggested eating three smaller meals (measured portions) but to plan in at least three good snacks a day too (ex: fruit, half a peanut butter sandwich, low-fat cheese and low-sodium crackers, almonds, etc.) and the fact that I feel like I'm eating constantly and it's OK that I'm eating those snacks instead of feeling guilty about it, has really helped. I also plan my day in advance, I know what I'm having for dinner in the morning, so if it's a more calorie laden meal, I can account for that earlier in the day. Seriously though, the good snacking has helped me so much and I think that since I started this a month ago, I've only been inclined to binge once.

I've also found I feel so much better eating this way, I feel in control, not deprived and the weight is (albeit slowly) coming off which it hadn't been doing for about the last six months before I saw her. Heh, the other great part is that my changing habits have encouraged my husband to begin changing his eating habits too! I know it's tough when those around you have bizarre or unhealthy eating habits. My mom's strange eating habits really affected me as well, though kind of in the opposite way. She wouldn't "let" me have cookies, chips etc. but my brother was allowed to since he wasn't overweight. Needless to say, I became a secret binger and packed it on...

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I totally get it. If you want more info on the plan my nutritionist suggested, I'd be happy to share.
  • Minnie92x
    Options
    I too have a compulsive/emotional ED (bouts with anorexia and bulemia as well) and have been working with a therapist for about a year on sorting out WHY that's my go-to response to stress/anger/sadness etc. I agree, that figuring out your triggers is one of the key things. I recently noticed super clearly that when I'm bored or tired, I'm inclined to want to eat junk and (though it probably is so obvious, it never really clicked with me until this week) that I go for food at times when I can't go to sleep if I'm tired, or do something else if I'm bored. It's like my brain goes, "you can't do what you really want, so let's try food since that's available and ok to do right now".

I also just started seeing a nutritionist about a month ago that works with people with histories of EDs and that has made a HUGE difference for me. Not only has she steered me towards healthier foods (more fruits and veggies) she suggested eating three smaller meals (measured portions) but to plan in at least three good snacks a day too (ex: fruit, half a peanut butter sandwich, low-fat cheese and low-sodium crackers, almonds, etc.) and the fact that I feel like I'm eating constantly and it's OK that I'm eating those snacks instead of feeling guilty about it, has really helped. I also plan my day in advance, I know what I'm having for dinner in the morning, so if it's a more calorie laden meal, I can account for that earlier in the day. Seriously though, the good snacking has helped me so much and I think that since I started this a month ago, I've only been inclined to binge once.

I've also found I feel so much better eating this way, I feel in control, not deprived and the weight is (albeit slowly) coming off which it hadn't been doing for about the last six months before I saw her. Heh, the other great part is that my changing habits have encouraged my husband to begin changing his eating habits too! I know it's tough when those around you have bizarre or unhealthy eating habits. My mom's strange eating habits really affected me as well, though kind of in the opposite way. She wouldn't "let" me have cookies, chips etc. but my brother was allowed to since he wasn't overweight. Needless to say, I became a secret binger and packed it on...

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I totally get it. If you want more info on the plan my nutritionist suggested, I'd be happy to share.

No thank you very much, I like knowing i'm not the only one who has this!! Before I start seeing anyone i'm going to try and work it out myself. Think this website shows where i'm going wrong, just need to figure out how to stop it!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am inclined to binge and/or compulsively overeat, in reaction to negative emotions, stress and boredom. I had hoped that I might have conquered that demon, but yesterday's events proved that I have not. Not sure I have any solutions to offer, but do add me as a friend if you'd like some fellow-feeling and support.
  • rufwil
    rufwil Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Binge eating? Yes, I think most of us have to face this awful demon in us. I do excellent throughout the week for I am so busy with work, but come Friday when I get home and just want to relax, the fridge and pantry will haunt me by calling me and pulling me in by some kind of undetectable force. I usually start with a sweet cereal thinking that I will eat one bowl and that is it, still keeping me well under my calories. Then I will have another, before I know it, I am sitting on the couch with a plate full of crackers and jalapeno jack, then more of whatever else I may find. Even if I eat healthy, I will just eat more than I should though. I have been successful some weekends, but those weekends I kept busy with other things. I am usually exhausted after the week and need the down time, but that downtime will kill me with the binge eating. This Binge is usually only for that one night, and then I am back on track Saturday, I keep convincing myself that it is ok, it is my reward for doing so well during the week, but then I am so disappointed in myself for allowing me to do it every week. I am glad to hear that others have a binge problem, I am going to try to keep away from it next week by walking my dogs or something, just getting out of the house maybe and go do anything, except binging. Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts as well.