weight vs. inches

Options
I'm having a weird 'problem'... I've been working out and losing weight, but not losing inches. I'm down 32 pounds from my starting point, and I do feel a difference in how some of my clothes fit (formerly tight things are now looser) but for some insane reason when I take measurements it appears I'm not losing inches. Just pounds. And I don't know how that can be. The only place I've lost inches is on my hips, and that seems to have plateaued. I've eliminated soda from my diet completely, along with junk food and fast food is cut waaaaay down. People have told me they can see I've lost weight - so why isn't this being reflected on my tape measure?! Granted, I'm firmer and less jiggly - but I'm bummed about this anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• duetwithjosh
    Options
    What physical activity are you performing? For fat loss, diet is enough.. but for more transformative effects, a mix of resistance training and cardio is essential.

Congratulations on your wieght loss!
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    What physical activity are you performing? For fat loss, diet is enough.. but for more transformative effects, a mix of resistance training and cardio is essential.

Congratulations on your wieght loss!

Thanks! Here's my workout log from today:

Strength Training Sets Reps/Sets Weight/Set
    tricep ext. 3 15 30
    Seated Biceps Curl 2 10 30
    glute 2 15 50
    Pec Dec Butterfly (Pectoral Fly) 2 20 25
    Hip Abduction, Machine, Seated 6 20 55
    Leg Press 2 20 75
    seated dip 3 20 50
    Lateral Arm Raise, Machine 1 20 20

I also peddled a stationary bike for 15 minutes today. (Around the world - level 8)
    I usually go longer but my ride was leaving...
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So far Ive lost 17lbs. Ive lost 1" in my hips 2" in my chest (go figure!) NONE in my mid section!! My stomach looks alot flatter but the tape measure is saying other wise and my personal trainer is the 1 doing the measuring so I dont screw it up. It seems like Im stuck on the weight loss at the moment and its really frustrating! I think Im going to try 30DS and see what happens. I just dont get it. Good luck to you!!
  • indisguise
    Options
    So far Ive lost 17lbs. Ive lost 1" in my hips 2" in my chest (go figure!) NONE in my mid section!! My stomach looks alot flatter but the tape measure is saying other wise and my personal trainer is the 1 doing the measuring so I dont screw it up. It seems like Im stuck on the weight loss at the moment and its really frustrating! I think Im going to try 30DS and see what happens. I just dont get it. Good luck to you!!

Exactly!! I'm just really confused as to how I can be losing fat but not inches. :( And my girls have shrunk a little too - not a lot, but I've noticed they're smaller. Sometimes I wonder if that isn't where I lost all the weight from, lol!

*edit* I don't have a trainer... maybe I'm measuring wrong?
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too!
    I thought I was the only one! I definitely feel like I'm getting smaller but my tape measure always seems to stay the same. :cry:
  • indisguise
    Options
    I have this problem too!
    I thought I was the only one! I definitely feel like I'm getting smaller but my tape measure always seems to stay the same. :cry:

It's good to know I'm not the only one too!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you ate losing weight and not inches, you are probably losing lean muscle mass. It is more dense than fat. The same thing happened to my SIL when she did diet pills.

Have you tried taking pictures? You might be losing in places you aren't measuring.