What do you do for soreness after workouts?

Options
My shoulders and back have been aching all week, even after a massage (not from a professional, though). I did a couple strength workouts this week with bent-over rows with heavier weights than usual, so I'm thinking that's what did it. I just can't find any relief! Any specific food you eat or herbal tea or bath or something? Or just an advil? lol thanks!

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I usually soak in a bathtub full of Epsom Salts.

Make sure the water is as hot as you can tolerate and put in abuot two cups of Epsom salts. I usually bring in a glass of water with me too because the hot water and salts are drawing out all the toxins and it can be dehydrating.

Soak for at least 30mins...relax....unwind.

Afterwards make sure to moisturize and massage your aching muscles. :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I stretch after the workout and use foam roller too. And take a hot, hot shower. You can take advil.
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    I like to stretch just to feel more pain. I LOVE the pain of being sore. Sometimes I feel like I didnt use some muscle for a certain workout, but then when I start working out the muscles I thought I hadnt used start to hurt. :laugh: I dont take anything I ride it out. :heart:
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Sounds yummy and worth a try.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I watched a programme on TV the other week that tested the benefits of milk after exercise and it was fairly conclusive; sportspeople that drink milk after their training rather than regular water, juice or sport drinks felt less soreness for less time afterwards. Try it!
  • bagelwagon
    bagelwagon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stretch and workout more. You'll still feel sore, but you'll feel much better. Soreness goes away faster.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) will help remove lactic acid (the cause of post exercise soreness) from the tissues. Put a mug (or cup if you're American lol!) in a warm bath and soak for 20 mins. If you have high blood pressure or heart issues use caution, as your BP will rise slightly. You will also sweat a bit, so take a glass of water before and after. Avoid rinsing off or using soap, etc, just use salts in warm water.

If you are in pain rather than a bit stiff and achey, I'd recommend seeking medical advice, just incase you have sustained an injury.
  • greatisbecky
    greatisbecky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's no real known 'cure' for soreness, especially DOMS, but a couple things I've heard or done is workout again the next day doing the same thing you did but at a lesser intensity. Also many people say take some sort of NSAID like aspirin for pain or inflammation (in the muscle). Hope this helps:) I've tried doing the same workout but not as strenuous one and it seemed to help a lot. I stay sore the longest when I don't do anything and just sit around
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    pineapple chunks and cherry juice (not the stuff with corn syrup) the real stuff!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I like to bask in it.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    stretch! stretch! keep working out! it goes away faster!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I was quite sore the morning after a strength workout until I forced myself to stretch immediately after the workout (even if it meant cutting the strength part of the workout back a bit to fit it into my available time) and also taking a protein shake right after the workout. I know some will say that the protein shakes aren't necessary but they seem to work for me. But stretching after the workout, when you're able to get a good stretch in without damage is the main thing to do.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get some creatine capsules or drink and take straight after training. They will not only help the muscles recover, they also help them grow and you don't get the aching feeling the next morning :happy:
  • joielukes
    Options
    Stretch! my problem though is after a beginners stretch....I run on the treadmill and during the run/jog my calf muscles get tight and sore. I run through it but very distracting??
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hmmm yeah i workout every day and always stretch for about 5 to 10 minutes post workout, but maybe i will try the epsom salts. this isn't the typical post-workout soreness that i've had in the past, it's more of a pain right beneath my shoulder blades (which i've learned is a really difficult place to stretch!).
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    There's really not a whole lot you can do to make the soreness go away. Stretching feels good, and hot showers feel good, but the soreness is because you broke down a lot of muscle tissue and it needs to repair.

The BEST thing you can do is to give your body what it needs to repair itself, especially right after your workout. But even now, make sure you eat some good proteins.

If the pain doesn't go away after several days an/or it turns into a sharp pain, see a doctor.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. You can do things to feel better but the soreness will not go away until the tissue is repaired. It's a result of strength training. That's a good thing. If you are not sore the next day, you aren't trying hard enough or you are exercising your muscle groups too often. There's not a whole lot you can do. Make sure you eat protein after the workout. Whether is in the form of shake or meat. And make sure you sleep. Muscles repair when resting.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There's really not a whole lot you can do to make the soreness go away. Stretching feels good, and hot showers feel good, but the soreness is because you broke down a lot of muscle tissue and it needs to repair.

The BEST thing you can do is to give your body what it needs to repair itself, especially right after your workout. But even now, make sure you eat some good proteins.

If the pain doesn't go away after several days an/or it turns into a sharp pain, see a doctor.

Second the above and the advice on Epsom Salts. I usually take some ibuprofen if I am really hurting from a workout (muscle soreness not joint) but recently read that because it is an anti-inflammatory it may inhibit the muscle repair and strength gains from the lifting. For this reason, from now on, I will try to suck it up and avoid the ibuprofen when ever possible.
  • sunspotalli
    sunspotalli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch just to feel more pain. I LOVE the pain of being sore. Sometimes I feel like I didnt use some muscle for a certain workout, but then when I start working out the muscles I thought I hadnt used start to hurt. :laugh: I dont take anything I ride it out. :heart:

i have to agree i love the sore now! i use to hate it but now I love to have that reminder that I'm doing something good. Of coarse I still love hot showers but a massage would be nice too lol!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have pulled something. Anti-inflamatories and pain killers will help in the short-term. Rest until it's tolerable to mobilize the area.