Stregth Training for women...

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Im not so big on the machines at the gym other then cardio... probably because I dont know how to use them.... And I know women and mens bodies arent the same.... so is there some start out strength training I can do for women... to get the hang of it?

Replies

• szyja
    szyja Posts: 42
    Options
    I highly recommend getting the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". Women often think that there is a 'difference' between men and women, but there really isn't much of one (other than the obvious ones, we carry more fat, we carry babies etc.) This book will show you what to use in the gym and what not to use. A lot of the machines are useless....a lot are excellent. This book helps you define which is which! since I started actual strength training, my plateau (which has been haunting me for 2 months now) has finally given up. I've lost two pounds in the last two weeks from training with this book...and my diet didn't change! :) Run...don't walk to buy this book! LOL :wink:
  • szyja
    szyja Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh...and one other thing...from that book I've discovered that I am a weightlifter...not an aerobics bunny! :) Thought I loved my aerobics...I was really, really wrong! :bigsmile:
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I like bodybuilding.com. I follow the Jamie Eason plan on there.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the New Rules book for women and I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's Livefit program right now -- on week three. Both are great places to get started and show you exactly what equipment to use and how to use it. I'm going to dive into the New Rules lifting program after completing Jamie Eason's program. :)
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Utilize the people who work at the gym. I strongly suggest getting comfortable with your gym trainers and the equipment. Since I bit the bullet and finally started asking, I love the machines. They are NOT just for men.