Fat percentage

Options
Fat percentage

How do you measure fat percentage?

I have electronic scales at home, but they tend to change to often, and I’m not sure I rely on them. Is it possible to buy a more accurate device to measure?

I know you can get measured at your gym, but I don’t belong to a gym.

Thanks!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can buy calipers, they're not totally accurate, and you likely need to have someone help you get the measurements, but I believe is more accurate than the scales.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Health-6575XXXX-Skinfold-Caliper/dp/B000NN9SDO

I just recently purchased these.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are apps on your phone and calculators online which will give you a good approximation. Generally based on your age, sex, weight, and waist and neck measurements. Some are more specific than others such as using Army test but this is a good base line for most folks. You may try something as the following to get you started:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

Best to have done in gym or similar professional if possible for exact measurement.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You can't really "measure" it, everything is an estimate. Having experienced people look at you and estimate is about as accurate as any other method.

IMO, it's just a number anyhow. The real issue is whether or not you're comfortable with what you see in the mirror.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    You can't really "measure" it, everything is an estimate. Having experienced people look at you and estimate is about as accurate as any other method.

IMO, it's just a number anyhow. The real issue is whether or not you're comfortable with what you see in the mirror.

:flowerforyou:
  • Woolooloo
    Woolooloo Posts: 82
    Options
    The scales tend to be pretty inaccurate in my experience, my Tanita scale does have it and I use it daily. I find it over estimates fat percentage, but it is very useful to watch the trend (obviously you want it trending down while you are dieting).

My gym has this type of monitor, which I find still inaccurate, but more accurate than the scales: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330698805&sr=8-1

Both the scale and the handheld work off of Bioelectrical Impedance and tend to show pretty wide variations from day to day, and are greatly affected by your hydration levels. It is best to use them at a consistent time of day.

From what I've read, calipers will give you the most accurate reading you can get - besides paying for the very expensive tank measurements and such. Of course you really need someone else to do the calipering. It isn't really something you can do yourself, so I do it rarely and use the scale and the handheld to track daily/weekly progress.

My scale currently says I'm at 16% while the handheld says 11.1%. About a month ago calipers showed 11.1% while the handheld showed 12.4% (don't recall the scale). I'm guessing calipers would probably show about 10% right now. Pretty wide range between the scale and the calipers. The handheld gives some occasional odd measurements like 9% or 14%, but if I use it consistently, it is usually about 1% over calipers.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    get a tape measure and do it the Marine Corps way. It is + or - 4% accurate but its pretty inexpensive. Measure your neck, waist, and hips and then subtract their values and compare it to this chart that can be found if you google MCO 6110.3 dated 8 Aug 08 and it will explain how to do it.

Hope that helps
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    And alot of folks are right, nothing is 100% accurate. If youre going to measure it, make sure youre using the same method each time