emotional struggles!!!

Options
So I don't know what the heck is going on but I HAVE HAD IT. I know cognitively I should not live by the scale, but emotionally as a female it is a different story and I am finding myself getting more and more uspst. For the first 8 weeks the scale went down about a pound or two a week. Then something happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it will not move. After one week with no loss, I was a bit upset, but scratched it off to muscle gain, that time of the month, water retention, but after this long I am feeling very defeated and sad!

I am 5'3" and 39 years old, so my BMR is about 1400-1450. I have exercised EVERY day for the last two weeks and burn between 250-500 calories a day. I swim laps faithfully, take walks on my work lunches 2x a week with 10lb weights on my legs, do home circuits a couple times a week, and have even been on the recumbent, rowing machine and elliptical this past two weeks just to mix it up. I don't run, but even started incorporating some of that just recently because I want the SCALE TO MOVE!!! I even started some light weight lifting a couple of times in the past week or so with the machines at the gym. Nothing significant, just something to trigger different muscles I don't normally use.

I never go over 1300 calories a day and I do not cheat by not logging items. Everyone comments about how consistent I am and how much willpower I have. My log is public and I try and make sure I eat ample amounts of protein daily, with my goal being around 100g so that I don't lose muscle, lots of times I fall a bit short but it is still better than most on here. I have even watched my carbs, by making sure I don't eat too many at one sitting to stabilize blood sugar. I don't eat more on certain days or less on other days during the week because my calorie allotment is so low to begin with; therefore, eating 1300 a day was my compromise. Going down to 1200 seem unhealthy to me, especially if I exercise daily.

I spike once a week on Saturdays and have eaten around 2600-2800 calories. I plan it and log it, so I know it is about right. I am forcing myself to drink water even though I live in the bathroom, which kind of blows. The spike still keeps me very much in a deficit for the week, which is the point! It gives me something to look forward to, prevents me from cheating during the week, and designed to keep my metabolism rolling. My defict still stays at about 5000 calories a week!

So at this point I just don't get it. I have worked my rear off and have felt there has been no change!!! I noticed big changes in my clothes fit prior, but honestly, I don't see much change there in the last two weeks either. I have never exercised this much in my entire life and nothing!!! This morning after I weighed myself, I just wanted to go back to bed!!!!! Sorry for the complaining but I am really upset at this point and I don't even feel like doing my laps today.

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    stay the course. it will eventually break. i haven't lost any weight since july, but i'm still here, still trucking. move your focus to how you feel, your endurance, your posture, your strength, and just keep going. best of luck to you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Many people have suffered the same problems! I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. Talk about frustrating! And I'm an absolute gym junkie now! My diet set up is very much the same as yours. High protein, lower carbs, workout regularly, getting plenty of sleep when I can, drinking tons of water. It's very emotionally trying to do everything right and to see no changes. However, I am seeing changes in my measurements and how my clothes fit. We should be proud of that, but it's still frustrating that the scale won't move! Everyone says it's just a number, but in society today that number counts for an awful lot of women's self-esteem!

Have faith, keep up the excellent work. The weight loss will come in time! That's what I keep telling myself! I'm a cardio queen and now I lift heavy 2-3 times a week. It will make a difference one of these days!
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    Keep going forward. It is really hard to see the same number on the scale but you know you are doing what is better for your health in the long run. Keep that in mind and get healthy, thinner will follow. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
  • username4ths
    Options
    Hello- I am new here, but... Just a few ideas...:flowerforyou:

In the past, people have suggested adding fresh lemon or lime in your water to kick start your metabolism. Also, if you exercise right before you eat I have heard that it really changes your metabolism and perhaps burns up more than if you excercise other times.

Wow! You are certainly excercising a great deal. Is it possible to take an exercise class so you activate other muscles/parts of your body?

Also, your Saturday. It seems that you are doubling your intake that one day. Is it a lot more sodium? Do you exercise that day, too?

Lastly, perhaps your hormones are wrecking havoc with your weight loss. Do you take any supplements?
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It appears you are doing everything right. Just hang in there! You'll overcome this hurdle!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I cannot see your diary so this is a critical question.

Are you eating 1300 NET or GROSS calories per day?

Meaning: Do you actually EAT 1300 calories per day no matter what? If so, you are WAY under your calorie needs with the amount of exercise you are doing. Your body cannot afford to shed anymore weight. Your NET calories should be at 1300. So, if you burn 500 calories exercising, you need to eat 1800 calories that day. Is that what you are doing?
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I just re-read the end of your post. You say your deficit SAYS 5000/week. You are getting that, where? Your calories should ZERO out every day. Eat 1800, burn 500, net 1300.... zeros across the bottom of your food log. If your Food Diary shows a 5000 deficit, there's no way in hell you are going to lose weight. You need to EAT.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories daily. I spike on the weekend instead, which serves the same purpose of ensuring the body does not go into starvation mode and ups your metabolism. There is a lot of research on it and this is an alternative to eating the exercise calories daily. It is similar to zig-zagging and there are quite a bit of people who do this as an alternative. I have no problems staying low during the week when I am really busy at work, but when I have more down time on the weekend, do more socially and go out to eat, it suits my lifestyle much better. It is built on watching your weekly deficit, rather than your daily deficit, which is actually more important.

I am considering going to a nutritionist and doctor just to have my blood work done to ensure that there are no deficiencies in some areas. I don't think other types of exercise has anything to do with this. My body is just resisting the change big time!!!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I never go over 1300 calories a day ...

For everything that you're doing this seems a bit low. Try eating 100-200 more calories a day.

And also don't forget to take a rest day once a week. The body needs time to recover from everything you're doing.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have considered taking it up to 1400 and see if this makes a difference. Again, cogntively and emotionally are two different things if you know what I mean. I am not going to eat my exercise calories daily, it does not suit my lifestyle and research suggests there is no difference when you weight it all out regarding input vs. output on a cycle of every 7-10 days. A 3200-5000 cal deficit is good for 7 day span for those needing to lose weight, which is right where I am at.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Ok heres a few things.

First do u take pics and measurements, a lot of the time u may not see much resluts on the scale, but will be blown away from what a pic shows.

second like others have said, u may be eating to little, i know u set aside your cheat day, but with your added workout, u could just need to as a little more to each day.

third how similar is your workouts week in and week out, meaning same workout on the same day each week, maybe completly different workouts will help, maybe even more weights.

Finally try switching your cheat day, or spreading it out. Just like the workouts, maybe your body is just getting use to what your eating.

Also r u getting close to your goal weight, i know this can make it tougher. Like everyone else said this happens to all of us, and this is the time when you will make or break your weight loss goals. Most would give up, but the truly succesful keep at it, and u will be rewarded eventually.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    If I eat the calories that MFP suggests, I don't lose any weight at all. I bounce between 1-2 pounds. I now eat about 400 more than MFP suggested for a 1 pound weight loss (which is also a couple hundred above my BMR). It has taken a couple weeks to get past the mentality that I'm eating more but the weight is starting to come off again.

I guess I'm just one of those people that needs to eat to lose. You never know, you might be one of them too.

Edit: spelling errors.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I just ran one of the MFP reports and I've lost a single pound in the past 30 days. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. I've resigned myself to the concept that I cannot be a slave to that number on the scale. I just have to keep going and have faith that eventually, something has to give. I do heavy duty cardio at least 4 times a week, and usually strength building the other three days. Like you, my clothes started fitting looser but now even that seems to have stalled. Just keep moving forward with your eye on the prize!
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    For some of u not losing weight, r u taking a rest day occasionally, sometimes your body just needs a day off. Also sometimes u need a recovery week, lighter cardio. Im doing P90X, and ive lost the most weight during the recovery week, its just allowing your body to recover, and let loose some of the access water your muscles r hanging onto, so maybe its time to take a week, and cut it back for a few days.