frustrated!

Options
So I was wondering why I wasn't losing the two pounds a week i was last summah...I lost the 5 pounds I gained over the holiday's....So checked my goals.... i've met my first goal (which i knew) and had to recalculate everything. Needless to say I have 70 calories less in my day to eat :( but i don't understand i've update my work outs to 4-5 times a week not three.. i am hoping to be 10 pounds lighter by my son's birthday in 30 days!!!

Replies

• NicolaNash
    Options
    Unfortunately as you lose weight and get closer to your target the harder it is to lose weight. MFP tells me to eat 1,200 calories to lose 2 pounds per week but actually I would need to eat less than this, this would actually mean nearer to 1 pound per week - however it won't set it below this as its not good for you. Therefore to lose the 2 pound a week I would need to do the rest via exercise - and of course that would also mean not eating back the calories I burn.

However I also found recently that when I ate 1,200 calories a week with no exercise I lost the same as when I ate that but also did lots of exercise. I don't understand it and find it frustrating as well. I am now however trying to look more at the nutritional content of my food and not just the calories and hope that helps.............

Fingers crossed it is at least coming off for you even if its slower than you hope. Hopefully someone has a magical answer for us both.

Good luck
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? If you don't have a lot ot lose you will lose slowly and should adjust your goals here accordingly.

The 2lb per week weight loss is only sugggested for those who have over 75lbs to lose.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would agree that you might need to lower your weekly goal and increase your calories, as you're getting closer to your goals. As you lower your weight, your body is not willing to give up as much fat. It's wired to survive, so you have to convince it that you're eating enough that it can afford to shed some pounds.

I lost almost nothing eating 1200 cals per day. I upped my calories and voila! (I also even get to eat my exercise calories...yum yum!) Success ever since!
  • Koopmom
    Koopmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising more that i did when i lost the first 22.... which is weird..I thought it was muscle bu my trainer told me not possible this quick... she thinks i'm lying to myfitnesspal, when I am counting EVERYTHING! :(
  • Koopmom
    Options
    wow lucky eating your exercise calories, i would nevah!!! that would be a dream come true!
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    It may sound weird, but maybe you need to up your calories, you could simply be at to bi of a deficit and your body is hanging on to whatever your eating.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    wow lucky eating your exercise calories, i would nevah!!! that would be a dream come true!

You might be surprised!

Maybe you could ease into it byy just decreasing your goal, effectively allowing yourself more calories per day. As long as you're being honest and MFP is still projecting a loss, the only thing that COULD happen (technically) is that your weight loss will slow with the extra calories.

Give your body 2 or 3 weeks to get used to the extra calories. If you end up gaining or slowing down too much at the end, then you'll know you can't eat more and still lose. If you lose the same amount or more, you'll know your body needs the extra calories to give up its store of fat.

If that works, then you might feel brave and add in some of your exercise calories! :)

Sound like a reasonable experiment?
  • Koopmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice... now i just need to decide what to do!!