I don't poop anymore!

Options
I don't know if this is normal, but I don't really poop anymore. It has been about 6 wks since I started heavily working out and counting my calories. My best guess is that I consume all my calories during the day and I have nothing left to make a bowel movement! I hope this is normal at first.

When i do have a bowel movement, it is very small and soft. I only have one every 3 days or so.

Any suggestions to what is going on? Thanks!

Replies

• evie_wundt
    evie_wundt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fiber are you consuming each day?
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i consume quite a bit of fiber. i am thinking at least the daily required amount and more. i eat a lot of grains and not a lot of meat. i am borderline Vegetarian. Lots of legumes and mini wheats
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?
  • chicagopjs
    Options
    Well, I am a new nurse and I can tell you that every three days is normal for some people. Everyone has their own Bowel schedule. So unless you are feeling uncomfortable, fullness, bloating, and other symptoms of constipation, I would say that your guess is on the right track. You said your stool is soft, which is a good thing. Usually constipation causes small hard, dry stools that can be painful to pass. My guess is that your body is simply regulating itself to your new routine.

My advice: Make sure you are getting plenty of fiber, exercise, and water (which it sounds like you are) and if your stools become any LESS frequent (ie: 4-5 days apart) or painful, consult a doctor.

PS. Water is really super important to lubricate your bowels and keep things moving properly!
  • ledward
    ledward Posts: 15
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started eating right. I went from 5,000-6,000 calories a day to about 1,500. My bowels just kind of shut down. First, your body will get used to the change and you will eventually become more regular. Second, three words: fiber, fiber, fiber! I assumed that I was getting enough fiber until I really began to track it. I was really only eating about 20 grams a day (not enough). Now, I eat about 40-50 grams a day and my digestive system has never worked better!

Word of caution: adjust your intake SLOWLY! Add maybe 5-10 grams to your diet and then give your body a few days to adjust before adding more. "Fiber One" brand or the generic equivalents offer a lot of different tasty sources for your fiber. I like the "Kellog's Fiber Plus Antioxidants" bars because they pack about 9 grams a fiber and I can eat chocolate guilt free (they are only 130 calories). An additional benefit to upping your fiber is that it makes you stay feeling full longer, so you will probably end up eating less in the long run.

189891.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • golddogs
    golddogs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am so happy that I am not the only one with this problem:happy:
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    Miralax is amazing! You can buy it over the counter, and it restores your body naturally...no stimulants or anything.
    I've had the same problem:blushing: But I take this every other day and I feel so great the entire day!!!
    A word of advice, take it at night.
    That way, you are sleeping through it while it does it's thing.
    I promise you, no side effects if you take as directed. Maybe start off with half a dose.
    And lots of water!
    Cheers to pooping! :laugh:
    :flowerforyou: -OB