HRM: Polar FT4 or FT7? Advice wanted...

Options
Hi everyone,

I think the title says it all...I've been trying to research which HRM I should buy, the Polar FT4 or FT7? I have read tons of reviews, but a lot of it is Greek to me, as I really don't know that much about them.

Can anyone who owns either model please offer me some insight? I am looking for something that will help me calculate my calories, and help keep me on the right track to lose weight. It's too hot here to go outside and run/jog/walk, so all of my walking is done on a treadmill. Ahm, not sure what other info you would need to know. Most of the workouts I do are Zumba, Tae Bo, walking, and Pilates.

Another question: do either one of these models allow you to monitor your "everyday" caloric needs if you wear it all day?

TIA,

Replies

• Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft6, and yes you can wear it all day or just during your workout.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use an FT4 and find it meets my needs perfectly. It keeps track of my heart rate, displays a nice graph to let me know where I am in the "zone" and displays my calories burned when I'm done. The FT7 is capable of linking with your PC to store your workout data so you can track your progress over time. IIRC you would need to buy a receiver to plug into your computer in order to use that feature. To answer your other question, standard HRM's are not meant for all day use. You'd need a BodyBugg or a FitBit to do that. Good luck :)

Edited to fix punctuation error.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    FT4 is all you really need for keeping on track with calories and staying in your target heart rate during exercise. I love my FT4!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4 it is just what i need it monitors my heart rate and lets me know how many calories i burned in so many minutes and thats all i need with mfp helping with everything else
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I have an FT7 and absolutely love it! It keeps track of calories burned,duration of "fitness" vs "fat burn", and it is very user friendly. I think, not positive though, that you can even wear it while swimming. The battery life averages about a year or so.Good luck!
  • rosadona
    rosadona Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i have an ft7 and i love it! i am sure you could wear it all day and see what your general burn is, however the calculations for basal metabolic rate as well as your activity level/weight do that just fine - and you don't really want to wear out the battery.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I think the title says it all...I've been trying to research which HRM I should buy, the Polar FT4 or FT7? I have read tons of reviews, but a lot of it is Greek to me, as I really don't know that much about them.

Can anyone who owns either model please offer me some insight? I am looking for something that will help me calculate my calories, and help keep me on the right track to lose weight. It's too hot here to go outside and run/jog/walk, so all of my walking is done on a treadmill. Ahm, not sure what other info you would need to know. Most of the workouts I do are Zumba, Tae Bo, walking, and Pilates.

Another question: do either one of these models allow you to monitor your "everyday" caloric needs if you wear it all day?

TIA,
    Most Polar HRMs are not intended to be worn all day but when you're working out. The other type Fit Bit (??..you can look the name up on the BLoser website) is the one that you would get to wear all day to calculate. It's much more pricey and you'll need a monthly subscription to keep it going so you might want to read up on that type if that's more what you're interested in.

FT7 can monitor a lot but it's not one you'll keep on after your workouts as that's not it's intended purpose. Personally I vote FT7 for myself.
  • txfamilyof7
    txfamilyof7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and absolutely love it! It keeps track of calories burned,duration of "fitness" vs "fat burn", and it is very user friendly. I think, not positive though, that you can even wear it while swimming. The battery life averages about a year or so.Good luck!

Could you explain what you mean by "burned duration of 'fitness' vs 'fat burn'"?

What does the FT7 track that the FT4 does not?

The battery on the FT7 isn't one that the consumer can replace, is it?
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    Bump
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Could you explain what you mean by "burned duration of 'fitness' vs 'fat burn'"?

I'm interested in the answers to these questions too :)
  • txfamilyof7
    Options
    bump
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the batteries but there are different levels of calorie burning. Lower hr for longer periods burns more fat, higher hr improves cardiac fitness and revs up the metabolism more. I have the ft7, the watch fits my wrist but the strap goes down so straight from the watch that it makes my wrist look pinched so I only wear it for exercise.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Regarding battery change it's easily changed by a watch maker/jewelry store for only a few dollars plus the price of a battery. $9 is what I pay on the rare times I've needed to replace mine.

FT7 Model says you can change them yourself but if you plan on doing anything that may get the watch wet, swimming, triathlons, yes even sweat as it can get under the watch I'd highly recommend having a jeweler change it for you so the water proof seal gets put back properly. To me? It's definitely worth being safe and keeping it running well over changing it myself. Plus I don't know how much you're really saving as the battery being changed by a watch store is not much more than a new battery.

I opt for getting it put back securely to keep the warranty intact and be able to depend on my watch.

Others may have different thoughts on the matter.:flowerforyou:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need 2 things when looking for an HRM:

One that has a chest strap, and one that lets you input age, sex, weight, height.

You also cannot wear an HRM all day, as that is not what they are designed for. They are only designed to track you're heart rate when elevated.

With that being said, I have the FT7 and I love it.. it's very easy to use and set up, plus the strap is really comfortable.

Differences between the FT4 and FT7:

FT4:
    Only tracks 10 workout sessions
    Comes in 2 colors
    Does not use Vo2max to determine you're zones
    Does not allow you to upload you're data to a computer

FT7:
    Tracks 99 workout sessions
    Comes in 4 colors(two for males and two for females)
    Does use Vo2max to determine your zones( I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've read in the manual, it sounds like it does)
    Does allow you to upload your data to a computer, but you ned to buy the optional flow link adapter for 50 dollars.

All in all, each HRM is very good. Yes the batteries are user replaceable, but I'd take them to a jeweler just to be sure.
  • txfamilyof7
    Options
    Thanks to all of y'all, your advice is much appreciated. Based on what y'all have said and what I've researched, I ordered the FT7. I can't wait til it gets here!!!:bigsmile:
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it to get the extra $50 flow attachment and get the FT7? I can see myself being a data girl but I want to hear feedback. I'm already ordering this and the fitbit and between both of them it is not cheap. :)

The zones would be enough reason for me to get the FT7. Now just need to know if the flow attachment is worth it.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Never mind. I already found it in searches and ordered it.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    FT4 is all you really need for keeping on track with calories and staying in your target heart rate during exercise. I love my FT4!

Ditto!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and love it. Keep in mind that they are not meant to be worn all day as they are notorious for over/under estimating calories burned while at rest. Only use it for exercise.

If you want something you can wear all day look into a bodybugg type of device.
  • SuzieMae78
    SuzieMae78 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump