So, when you're starting out ...

Options
I've been horribly sedentary over the last year. Growing up in London, I walked everywhere but after I moved to Florida, we just seemed to drive everywhere.

I wondered how much exercise is sensible when you're starting out? I'm longing to get back to the gym, take aerobics classes, go swimming etc. Should I pace myself? If so, how much is TOO much?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Start with one class and build from there. Good luck.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been horribly sedentary over the last year. Growing up in London, I walked everywhere but after I moved to Florida, we just seemed to drive everywhere.

I wondered how much exercise is sensible when you're starting out? I'm longing to get back to the gym, take aerobics classes, go swimming etc. Should I pace myself? If so, how much is TOO much?

Yep - start with one thing at a time and go from there. You don't want to overwhelm yourself, get burnt out, or feel pressured about it.
  • Robeypa1
    Robeypa1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    so since you're just starting out...I would aim for 30 minutes at lease 3 times a week, I would begin by doing something that you really enjoy, perhaps walking, don't get discouraged as you begin, it has to become a lifestyle change or it will never work, once you're into it, begin doing some resistance training, you don't need a gym membership, you can buy some resistance bands, do some burpees, pushups, planks to get tight.