Replies

• prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft6, and yes you can wear it all day or just during your workout.

You can wear it all day, but the calories burned will only be a good estimate for the time that you are doing cardio only. Any other time it will grossly overestimate calories burned, as a part of the calculation assumes a certain % oxygen uptake that does not occur when not performing cardio activities.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it to get the extra $50 flow attachment and get the FT7? I can see myself being a data girl but I want to hear feedback. I'm already ordering this and the fitbit and between both of them it is not cheap. :)

The zones would be enough reason for me to get the FT7. Now just need to know if the flow attachment is worth it.

FYI zones are a crock of S%^T, the zones are a myth, the harder you workout the more cals you burn the faster your results. don't pay any attention to zones. Workout as hard as you can and just stay under your max HR.
  • tsmoo107
    tsmoo107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had an FT7 for about 18 months and just recently had to replace the battery. Regarding a previous post, after you end a workout it displays how many minutes you were in the fat burning zone (based on heart rate) and how many in the fitness zone, where your heart rate is high enough to effect heart fitness. While you are exercising, it has a little line with a mark on it showing when you cross from fat burning to fitness training...say at 120 BPM or whatever. It gets this # based on your personal stats that you enter in as well as learning from your workouts. You may find that BPM tipping point changes over time.

Make sure you ordered the kit that provides the chest strap also - you need it plus the watch. What's cool is that if you wear the chest strap on a machine that records your heart rate it'll broadcast to that machine - you don't have to grip handles or anything for it to get the info.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I love Polar HRMs!!!! I have the FT40, which I know is not one you put in as option, but it is similar to the 2 you are considering, just more add-on features, plus a Fitness test to better guage your range other than through data of age, weight, height, etc. I have only been using it about a week and LOVE IT! The Polar products are notorious for giving the best estimates to calories burned and mine will store a ton of data too. Either one would work for the needs it sounds like you have, but if you prefer more memory, go with the FT7. If the memory and storage isn't a bit deal and you are on a tight budget, go with the FT4. IF you decide to take it swimming (which wasn't listed on your activities, but ya never know), then just don't push buttons while in the pool - that is how water will get into the watch and ruin. I also got the 2 yr plan on mine - it was fairly inexpensive and covers battery changing for me, and even normal wear and tear. If I get a scratch on the screen in a spot I don't like, I send it back and they will either 1) fix it and send to me, or 2) send me a check so I can replace it with new. Just some food for thought :) Enjoy your new HRM either way you go! You won't regret the investment at all!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I kept going back and forth between FT4 and FT7 and ended up with the FT40 in the end before I even read the last few posts. On Amazon, there wasn't much difference in price between the FT7 and FT40 considering the next one is a big jump in price.

Eric, after reading all day yesterday on various websites, that's basically the same conclusion I came to as well.
  • grahamdl
    grahamdl Posts: 3
    Options
    How much was your FT7?