Getting a 4 month old rescue German Shepard pup

Options
cessnaholly
cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
Any suggestions about our first week with the new pup? He's a 4 month old from a shelter. I know to take him out a ton, long walks, feed last, not allowed on furniture, sleep in crate. A tired dog is a happy dog.

We do have a trainer lined up for the second week he's with us. We are giving a week or two to bond with the dog, get to know him a little before taking him to training. Where we go for training, we get basic obdience and agility (police dog type stuff).

What else? Hit me!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i dunno..i miss our sheps tho..im glad you will be getting a new companion..i know how much you were hurting..glad to hear, cant wait to see a pic :smile:
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    no treats and human food, even though they love it
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    In our first week with our puppy, who we got at 6 weeks old, the first day or so, we introduced him to his cage and let him get a feel of the house. We started home training immediately, simple things though like just getting him used to his name (we did this by every time we were to feed him, we called his name as he walked with us "Come on, Rock." "Rock, it's food time." ) We also taught him very basic commands like sit and paw (surprisingly, he learned this all within the first week) as well as where his pee pads were - rewarded him with treats when he did go to the bathroom on there and NEVER rubbed his nose in his "business" when he went elsewhere. Also, cuddle him a lot, touch his feet and toes and neck and belly and genitals - it helps out a lot, especially when he's at the Vet he doesn't mind being touched in spots a lot of dogs are awkward about.

Proper training is going to be a lot of fun! We have our pup in training as well, and its great bonding, socialization and the like.

Have fun! Puppies are a blast, but a handful.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a German Shepherd in the house and love them. Since you're doing the crate think, you won't have to worry about the chewing issue a couple of ours had. While we were gone, he was bad to chew ANYTHING but his numerous toys.

The training you mention will be great, and help with most of the problems people have with large dogs.

A routine helps with house training, but once he's got it, it will be fine. Ours never liked to go in the yard, always went out into the edge of the woods to go. He was weird about it.

JM
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Get with a good trainer. Also, if you plan to jog with your new family member, wait until he is about 10 months old. The reason for this is that dogs' bones and ligaments are not mature enough to handle such vigorous exercise as long jogs/runs until around then. I volunteer with an animal rescue organization called Austin Pets Alive! and if you need any more new-puppy resources, feel free to message me. I can email you a bunch of things we give to all new adoptive parents of puppies :)

Congrats on your new family member!
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could always send him to me! My wife and I want a puppy soooo bad!
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a lot of toys! Puppies love to chew. If you find him chewing on something he shouldn't, take it away, tell him no and give him one of his toys. He'll learn what's his to play with and that your things are off limits. Also, make sure he meets lots of other people and animals. We didn't do this with our first dog and we ended up with one who didn't like other people or animals. The dog we have now was a rescue dog. She was about 6 months old and had been really well socalized. She loves everybody, such a great trait in a dog! Have fun with your new addition.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I adopted 2 American Bulldogs that were about to be put down. Aside from all the advice given, remember, don't ever change the rules. Not even for a second. You cannot do that with a dog. Ex: Let them on the couch one day and not the next, eat from the table when they usually can't, etc. I learned this the hard way. After I had my dogs neutered (about 1 month after I got them) I felt so bad I let them sleep in my bed when we got home. That was over a year ago and every night when I go to bed I now sleep with a 80lb dog on either side of me. :sad: I should have stuck with the rules!!!!!!
  • cessnaholly
    Options
    I grew up with a German Shepherd in the house and love them. Since you're doing the crate think, you won't have to worry about the chewing issue a couple of ours had. While we were gone, he was bad to chew ANYTHING but his numerous toys.

The training you mention will be great, and help with most of the problems people have with large dogs.

A routine helps with house training, but once he's got it, it will be fine. Ours never liked to go in the yard, always went out into the edge of the woods to go. He was weird about it.

JM

My last sheppard was the same way. She'd NEVER EVER poo in our yard. She had to go to the woods, on walks or in someone else's yard. Never ours. They are sure quirky dogs. LOL Glad to know she wasn't alone with that quirk.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    For the record, mine weren't puppies. They were about a year old when I got them.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    I have a year old GS. Her stomach is sensitive so get a good food. We don't give ours people food or soft treats. She has a TON of energy, they are working/herding dogs. They will need walked often or given a "job" to do. We're getting ready to start training with ours as she is badddddddd. She was socialized from 6 weeks, but barks at everything and everyone and is terrible on a leash because of it. Mostly because of several different people watching her and spoiling her and not being consistent. They are very loving and protective. She has recently been kept outside of the crate and has started chewing, destroyed numerous thing, cordless phone, playstation controller, pens, paper, etc. I don't think she is getting all of her energy out because of our recent bad weather.
    They are also prone to hip dysplasia .... check with shelter to see if they know of any signs.
    Good luck!
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    I adopted 2 American Bulldogs that were about to be put down. Aside from all the advice given, remember, don't ever change the rules. Not even for a second. You cannot do that with a dog. Ex: Let them on the couch one day and not the next, eat from the table when they usually can't, etc. I learned this the hard way. After I had my dogs neutered (about 1 month after I got them) I felt so bad I let them sleep in my bed when we got home. That was over a year ago and every night when I go to bed I now sleep with a 80lb dog on either side of me. :sad: I should have stuck with the rules!!!!!!

I feel your pain! I sleep with an 80lb German Shepherd and a 15 lb Shih Tzu .... i'm not sure which is worse at hogging the bed!
  • cessnaholly
    Options
    I have a year old GS. Her stomach is sensitive so get a good food. We don't give ours people food or soft treats. She has a TON of energy, they are working/herding dogs. They will need walked often or given a "job" to do. We're getting ready to start training with ours as she is badddddddd. She was socialized from 6 weeks, but barks at everything and everyone and is terrible on a leash because of it. Mostly because of several different people watching her and spoiling her and not being consistent. They are very loving and protective. She has recently been kept outside of the crate and has started chewing, destroyed numerous thing, cordless phone, playstation controller, pens, paper, etc. I don't think she is getting all of her energy out because of our recent bad weather.
    They are also prone to hip dysplasia .... check with shelter to see if they know of any signs.
    Good luck!

Training and a TON of exercise will help with the energy. I did agility with my last dog and that did wonders for her. Plus, doggy day care can help out. You can also try those dog food puzzles. Kongs are the usualy favorite. We also had a ball that you put small cookies in. As the dog rolled the ball the cookies fell out. my last dog had the dog version of MS so I'm very familiar with hip prblems. Good luck with your ball of energy.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I just wanna tell you, Im super jealous. I love GS, I want to get one so bad
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest is to make sure he knows how the leader of the pack is. Don't let him walk in front of you. If he does, turn around without warning. It won't take him long to learn to watch what you do.

Dont give him something like a shoe to play with or all shoes will become toys.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    4 months old is THE best age with puppies, in my opinion. I foster puppies and 4 months old is my favorite age. They catch onto house training quickly, they have developed some personality and they are just plain fun to be around.

There is no reason to not give them people food or treats as long as the food isn't too high in fat, sodium or toxic to them.

I don't buy into the whole "show them who is the dominant one" whooey either. As long as you train them and teach them what you do and don't want, they will will be fine. Dogs are dogs, not humans. They don't spend their days plotting how to take over your house. They like routines and thrive when you can follow them. Walking in front of you or going out the door in front of you doesn't make them more "dominant" or the "alpha".
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I love GSD's! We have one, Mina, who is a year and a half and just adore her. Here are three training tips from our kennel/trainer that we couldn't have lived without:
    For potty training and for quicker bonding, whenever you are inside with her, have her on a leash. Sounds weird, but Mina would go into another room as soon as I took my eyes off of her for a second and poop. Where you go, she goes. The leash should be no longer than 4 ft. Let her outside every hour, and especially after she eats, and they get the potty training down fast.

To stop the nipping (which they do a LOT of) - as soon as she nips a person in your family - take her firmly by the jaw and fold her gums over her teeth and apply gentle pressure. Gently - just enough so they get negative reinforcement and realize that nipping hurts. Then give her a toy that is OK to chew on. And get lots of them! My daughter's Barbies lost all of their hands and feet when Mina was a puppy! :o)

If you want a dog that will protect you - our trainer recommmeded this...if the puppy becomes aggressive with anyone in your family, the correction is to immediately take the pup and place them on their back, belly up in a submissive posture. Hold them in that position until they relax. Mina, around 5-6 months started getting pretty aggressive with our kids - lunging, growling, barking, - very normal stuff for a puppy - but if you don't teach them that the family is their pack and that the humans are in charge, they can grow into the aggression. I am so glad we did this - because now Mina is amazing with my family - and with all kids in general.

Good luck!!!! We were also told by our trainer that a GSD needs to do something ONCE for it to become a habit. So, just make sure everyone is consistant with the training and words that you use for praise. And give that puppy lots and lots of love. So much fun!!!
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My brother has a German Shepard that he got as a poppy. He also got a lab puppy at the same time. They are now 2.5 years old. The first two years, they were HORRIBLE - shredded up the furniture, fought nonstop, wouldn't listen, etc. They even sent them away to doggy obedience school, and they were still bad. However, they are really good now. Just be patient and stick to your guns!! Never let them think they are the boss!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Ooh, jealous! I :heart: GSD's! I had my heart set on one but we found our lab/golden at a rescue first and the rest was history :smile: 4 months old is a great age - you're gonna have so much fun! Otherwise, everything sounds good and you've gotten great advice. I heartily agree with crate and obedience training. It makes everyone happier.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Leash training is easy way to establish goo:smile: d behavior