Low Calorie, High Protein foods?

Options
Tempe729
Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
So while I have been great at keeping under or around my daily calorie limit, I have been having a really hard time getting in enough protein (usually only 40-65g versus the 150g I should be getting).

I use the Cytosport-100% Whey Protein-Chocolate mix once in a while, but the calorie content overloads my daily limit pretty fast, so I try not to have it often. (especially since I can't stand it with regular water, so I usually mix it with fat free/skim milk.)

Are there any foods or meals you'd recommend that are relatively low in calories but have a decent amount of protein content? I don't have any food allergies, and I'll eat pretty much anything, so no restraints...

Any help would be awesome! ^_^

Replies

• JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Nonfat plain greek yogurt! 6oz is about 100 cals and you get like 18g of protein depending on the brand you buy. I usually eat mine with a little bit of cinnamon and some stevia.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna - 100g has 25g protein for just over 100 calories.

Chicken breast - a 130g typical breast, poached or grilled, will have 25g protein for about 130 calories

Cottage cheese - 12g protein for 115 calories in 100g
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and tuna. Not at the same time, made that mistake yesterday...
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and tuna. Not at the same time, made that mistake yesterday...

I'll keep that in mind! I usually have egg whites for breakfast (hard-boiled, because I'm ususally having to eat on the way to class)

^_^
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Meat :) Chicken, salmon, tuna and turkey are all great sources of protein. High protein, not much else :D Glad to see ya working on it Girly!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    So while I have been great at keeping under or around my daily calorie limit, I have been having a really hard time getting in enough protein (usually only 40-65g versus the 150g I should be getting).

I use the Cytosport-100% Whey Protein-Chocolate mix once in a while, but the calorie content overloads my daily limit pretty fast, so I try not to have it often. (especially since I can't stand it with regular water, so I usually mix it with fat free/skim milk.)

Are there any foods or meals you'd recommend that are relatively low in calories but have a decent amount of protein content? I don't have any food allergies, and I'll eat pretty much anything, so no restraints...

I am really, really surprised your goal is 150g of protein.
    I am 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs, and my protein goal is only 69 g !

150g of protein is 600 calories (4 cal per gram of protein)
    If your total calorie goal is say 1500, that means you target protein is 40% of the total cals !!

Way too much protein, if you let me say, unless you do strength training.

I follow the DASH guidelines, with protein being 15 to 20% of your total calories.

So I would recommend you investigate if you really need that much protein.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Any options for vegetarians?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

If your total calorie goal is say 1500, that means you target protein is 40% of the total cals !!

I follow the DASH guidelines, with protein being 15 to 20% of your total calories.

maybe 150g protein is too much but the amount you have is very low. At a minimum whilst losing weight, exercising should aim for 1g protein per pound of lean mass.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For vegetarians - eggs, beans, tofu, cheese, nuts and seeds.

I try to sneak more protein into my snacks as well as at main meals - hard boiled egg, laughing cow triangle on rice cake, humous with celery sticks, crab sticks, roast soy beans, almonds etc
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Any options for vegetarians?

Greek yogurt, quinoa, low(er) fat cheeses (I love Cabot cheese for this), and egg whites. These are usually my staples :)
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    @suziecue66:

Not sure where you obtained that number of 1 gram of protein per pound, but if I used that recommendation I would need:
    209 lbs x 0.74 = 155 grams !! (I estimate I have 26% body fat)

That would be equivalent to almost 34% of my calories from protein !!
    too much by any standards !
    That Generic rule of "1 gram of protein" per lean mass seems then meant for body builders, etc.

Furthermore, the 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass that you recommend, is not a rule that agrees with the DASH recommendations.

Look at page 11 of this page from the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

They recommend 18% of calories to be assigned to protein.
    I have elected to set to 15%, which is still within the DASH guidelines of 15 to 20% found in other papers and studies.
    My calories per day is 1830, so that means: 0.15* 1830 = 274.5 calories from protein
    274.5 calories is almost 69 grams of protein, which is my goal at the moment.

I know not everyone agrees with DASH, but it certainly makes sense to me.

maybe 150g protein is too much but the amount you have is very low. At a minimum whilst losing weight, exercising should aim for 1g protein per pound of lean mass.
  • sfootman
    sfootman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are other whey proteins with only 80 calories like Whey Factors ....or Pure Protein by Market Pantry only has 140 calories
  • Hurricane_C
    Options
    I thought it was (roughly) 1-2 (depending on activity level and whether or not your a vegetarian) times your weight in kg....

so I'm 136 lbs, or 61.8 kg and I'm a vegetarian... so I'd need roughly 123g protein a day (61.8 x 2)
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    I thought it was (roughly) 1-2 (depending on activity level and whether or not your a vegetarian) times your weight in kg....

so I'm 136 lbs, or 61.8 kg and I'm a vegetarian... so I'd need roughly 123g protein a day (61.8 x 2)

May I ask where did you find 1 to 2 grams is correct?

I am currently searching for a study/source on the number of grams (or percentages of calories) for protein.

So far, it has only been a widely circulating rumor on MFP, but no links to studies.
  • Hurricane_C
    Options
    My boyfriend, who is studying exercise physiology, told me that a few weeks ago when i was trying to figure out how much I should be getting. I think he said if you're active and lifting then its like 1.5 but vegans and vegetarians need closer to 2.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    My boyfriend, who is studying exercise physiology, told me that a few weeks ago when i was trying to figure out how much I should be getting. I think he said if you're active and lifting then its like 1.5 but vegans and vegetarians need closer to 2.

@Hurricane:

Very interesting !

Would you mind asking your boyfriend, to provide some links to studies that show the adequate number of grams of protein?
    I am sure the number will change depending on activity, sex, age, etc

But any study that shows this would be very much appreciated !

In the meantime, I will keep using the 15 to 20% guideline from DASH.
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    I'm trying to get 140g per day and it is hard sometimes. I have a can of tuna a day and optimum nutritions gold standard extreme chocolate whey, I think it tastes nicer with water instead of milk so that helps!
    I snack on things like pepperami, chicken slices/bites and boiled eggs and have a grill up everyday, 2 rashers of bacon, a sausage and 2 scrambled eggs. Baked Beans are a good source also you can add to your grill up. Chicken stir frys with just the veggies no rice or noodles are really high in protein and low in cals, I just add different spices to add a bit of taste! Failing that, if I'm still under at the end of the day I will have another shake even if it takes me over my cals as building muscle is more important to me and I can burn the 130 cal in the whey shake pretty easily!
  • Tymtrvlr
    Tymtrvlr Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Beautiful! Your mum's current diet is based on my body type (Endo-Ecto). Basically, a slow metabolism & a body that has trouble building & maintaining lean muscle. It emphasizes more protein to build muscle and only eating complex carbs together that slow down the body's conversion of food to sugar. My plan suggests 2-3 oz. of lean protein each in 3 meals and 2 snacks (a 3rd snack is optional) for a total of about 10-12 oz. of protein per day. There is approximately 7 grams for each 1 ounce of protein. According to this website, a 220lb. person with a slower metabolism, should be getting about 74 grams of protein a day. Keep in mind, this amount of protein is designed to help you lose weight & gain muscle. Once you get to your desired size, unless you intend to get into body-building, you will need to adjust the protein down a bit. I hope this helps! Good Luck Everyone! ~Trina (Mum)

(http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    dark leafy greens people, dark leafy greens! One pound of kale has more than enough protein than is generally recommended by the USDA.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

According to government site men only need 56 grams and women 46 grams. With that said, I go by my Dr. who says women should eat 20 grams 4 times a day and men should eat 30 grams 4 times a day. It's working great for me so I see no need to adjust it now.

And a listing of high(er) protein foods -- http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Here is a site by Harvard that says .8 grams per kilo of weight. So if you are overweight then the governments one-size-fits-all wouldn't hold true. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch