Sushi

Options
Going out for sushi later with friends. I love sushi and it would be really easy to over eat. Any tips on what is best to order? Is Nigiri better than rolls?
Thanks.

228879.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I like rolls better because there are more bites and one peice of Nigiri generally has about 50-70 calories. The best calorie wise is Sashimi (plain raw fish). If you get a roll make sure it's not fried and doesn't have a lot of sauce. I generally just get the Philidelphia roll without the cream cheese and avo or a crab roll and miso soup. That is actually what I had for lunch today
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    Usually for lunch I do a 12 piece (usually tuna or salmon spicy roll) and snapple green tea ice tea and it usually does me just fine and if I need a secondary filler I'll go with some miso soup. Personally I like the rolls because you can get some sort of veggie snuck in there like cucumber or avacado.

A big way to avoid over eating is eating too fast so just take your time and enjoy the mean and maybe have a conversation while you're eating. I still eat too fast myself but I think that's a basic training brainwash I haven't gotten over (after 12 years...)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Start with miso soup and sunomono or seaweed salad ... those are great low-cal fillers. And drink that green tea up!

Some resturaunts offer brown rice instead of white so you might want to ask about that. You can also ask for rolls with less rice and some rolls taste better with cucumbers instead of rice.

For the most part, avoid having more than one piece if the roll has mayo or cream cheese. You can also ask for no mayo and bring a low-cal dressing to top the stuff that should have come with mayo (like nigri scallops).
  • jensocalgirl
    Options
    Once spicy tuna roll is 270 calories without the soy sauce. Order some edamame before hand unsalted to fill up. Watch out for that miso soup though - low in calories but could contain half of your sodium intake for the day. Combine that with soy sauce and you'll feel extra bloated tomorrow.
  • golddogs
    golddogs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice:happy:

228879.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary