Favorite quick and healthy meals - besides salads!

Options
Hi everyone! I am fairly new to MFP and am curious what some of your favorite quick and healthy meals are? I would greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to share the recipe or provide a link to the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Replies

• 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump for answers. I too would be interested in some new meal choices.
  • Moosie84
    Moosie84 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure how healthy it is but something that I really like to do is cooking up some boneless skinless chicken in a pan with bell pepper, onion, and some chopped spinach. I'll add some Mozzarella and maybe cook up some long grain wild rice with it or eat it just as is. It's very yummy :)
  • jennfost777
    jennfost777 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My favorite is my smothered Salmon with spinach.I take a pirex and I cover the bottom of it with fresh spinach than I take a Salmon fillet and season with salt and pepper then I top it with 1 Tbsp. Diced onions then I warm 1 tbsp. Of water and 2 tbsp of low fat onions and chive cream cheese and pour it over the salmon then add 1/4 cup water to the pan and bake @ 450° for 15 mins. Voila
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My favorite is my smothered Salmon with spinach.I take a pirex and I cover the bottom of it with fresh spinach than I take a Salmon fillet and season with salt and pepper then I top it with 1 Tbsp. Diced onions then I warm 1 tbsp. Of water and 2 tbsp of low fat onions and chive cream cheese and pour it over the salmon then add 1/4 cup water to the pan and bake @ 450° for 15 mins. Voila

sounds yummy I will try that this weekend... Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Look up skinnytaste.com! She has some great recipes!
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Love skinnytaste.com, and also hungry-girl.com
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been making pasta&veggies or eggs with veggies. Its really quick and easy. Chop up whatever veggies you like, I use spinach, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms, sautee with 1 tsp of olive oil and garlic, If I'm making it with pasta then I make sure to use a food scale to measure the pasta, once the veggies are cooked mix w/ pasta and 1 tsp of parmesan cheese. Simple, easy and healthy!
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love my George Forman grill for quick and easy meals. My husband works second shift so I'm alone for dinner (which to be honest, is probably best for my weight loss). I'll throw a turkey burger on or a chicken breast. For sides I'll either steam up some veggies or make a baked sweet potato. Its not fancy but its satisfying!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a real hurry, will spray a coffee mug with pam, crack in a couple of eggs, season up and microwave for a minute. If I'm real creative, will add chopped veggies and turkey sausage or bacon bits (more recently have been using soy bits).

If you're super hungry, add a quick toasted whole grain muffin.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time working mom to a full time working husband who is also going to school (and is therefore no help at all in the house). So I like to make meals that build on each other. Here are three of my weekly faves:

1. Crock pot chicken. Put a back of chicken breasts in the crock pot. Add chicken broth and spices to taste and whatever veggies you have (I like mushrooms, carrots and celery). Cook on low for 10 hours. Serve over rice. Save chicken and veggies.

2. Two days later I'll take half the left over chicken and veggies and serve heat them up with lemon juice and serve in a salad or over whole grain pasta.

3. Two days later mix the rest up with fried rice and scrambled eggs.

This way I get three very different meals with very little effort. If you're not a crock pot person, you can broil them instead.
  • ByrdBarajas
    ByrdBarajas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's lunch time and I am droooooling!
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My current favorite quick meal is an ommlette. Ham, mushrooms and if I have the calories left a bit of cheese, bang in 2 or 3 eggs. mmmmmmm!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fritostyle
    Options
    Thought I'd share what I made last night, which took about 30 minutes with prep and cooking: Chipotle Chicken, Lime Rice, and Black beans

I marinated chicken tenders in McCormick's chipotle pepper marinate for about 10-15 minutes while I gathered all my needed ingredients; 1 lime, cilantro, Minute Rice, canned black beans, garlic, cumin, chili flakes.
    While chicken was marinating I zested my lime and chopped my cilantro.

Cook marinated chicken in skillet, I didn't need oil for cooking, but you may. Shred or chop, if desired. We chopped ours last night, to serve in tortilla's, when they were almost fully cooked and simmered with remaining marinade till fully cooked.

Lime Rice: Minute rice (we used white), cook as directed, add lime zest and as much cilantro as you like. I also squeezed in lime juice, about 1/2 of a lime.

Black beans: rinse and drain. Cook with 1 tsp garlic, minced, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp chili flakes (we left out the chili flakes).

We ate this meal as burritos, served in a small flour tortilla. Hubby and kids added shredded cheese and sour cream. I added diced green chiles, salsa, more cilantro, and an extra squeeze of lime juice.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This week I did chicken breasts two ways, both I started by dredging in flour only & putting in large pan with olive oil and let them stay 3 minutes on each side, enough to get the pink out.

I sliced them horizontally, carefully in half almost all the way through (so I could fold open and stuff)

In three I used a mixture of basil (the wet kind in a jar) (2 tbl?), lemon juice(.25 cup?), and fat free ricotta cheese (10 oz?). I added more basil and lemon juice and ricotta until I got the consistancy to something I liked and guestimated on the lemon juice and basil, and measured the container with the remaining ricotta so I could subtract and figure OZ on what I had used.

In the other three I used a mixture of broccoli, 3/4 cup cheddar, and remaing fat free ricotta.

I tried to stuff the inner layer and ended with a lot of extra toppings, so I piled the rest on the top of the breasts like a topping and baked the breasts at 350 for 20 minutes. The lemon basil chicken I happened to have a fresh lemon in the fridge so I sliced that, and baked it on top of the mixture, too.

(seperate foil lined pans because I dont like different flavors to mix sometimes).

Both combos were wonderful, and not too much of the same thing so I got sick of it. My work mates were very jealous all week of my lunches and every day I looked forward to it!! I had the last one tonight for dinner. With prep time and clean up it was maybe a total of 45 minutes for 6 great meals.

The lemon chicken was 437 calories & 227 on sodium and the broccoli cheddar (per breast) was 516 calories & 379 on sodium. You could use fat free or reduced fat cheddar, too, but I chose to use the real stuff. Its a personal pref.
  • fritostyle
    Options
    Tonight, it's Roasted Salmon with Dill Yogurt Sauce, with prep about 20 minutes.

Ingredients:
    4 oz Greek yogurt
    3 Tbs fresh dill
    1 Tbs lemon zest and juice
    4 salmon fillets (about 6 oz. each)
    2 Tbs olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Combine yogurt, dill, lemon zest and juice. Chill until ready to use.
    Place salmon on foil or parchment lined sheet pan, skin side down. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake until slightly firm and flakes with a fork, approximately 12-14 minutes.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd share what I made last night, which took about 30 minutes with prep and cooking: Chipotle Chicken, Lime Rice, and Black beans

I marinated chicken tenders in McCormick's chipotle pepper marinate for about 10-15 minutes while I gathered all my needed ingredients; 1 lime, cilantro, Minute Rice, canned black beans, garlic, cumin, chili flakes.
    While chicken was marinating I zested my lime and chopped my cilantro.

Cook marinated chicken in skillet, I didn't need oil for cooking, but you may. Shred or chop, if desired. We chopped ours last night, to serve in tortilla's, when they were almost fully cooked and simmered with remaining marinade till fully cooked.

Lime Rice: Minute rice (we used white), cook as directed, add lime zest and as much cilantro as you like. I also squeezed in lime juice, about 1/2 of a lime.

Black beans: rinse and drain. Cook with 1 tsp garlic, minced, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp chili flakes (we left out the chili flakes).

We ate this meal as burritos, served in a small flour tortilla. Hubby and kids added shredded cheese and sour cream. I added diced green chiles, salsa, more cilantro, and an extra squeeze of lime juice.

YUM!!!!
  • fritostyle
    fritostyle Posts: 27
    Options
    Since it's been a few months since anyone has posted on this board, I wanted to share what we made for dinner tonight. Total prep and cook time about 20 minutes, Fajitas.

We used thin sliced steak, red onions, green peppers, McCormick's fajitas seasoning, mexican cheese, and mission small sized tortillas.

Slice steak (or your favorite meat) into thin strips. Place small amount of oil (about 1Tbsp) in skillet, if needed. Cook steak until no longer pink, remove from pan. Cook vegetables in pan (you may need to add additional oil to prevent sticking), add meat back into pan, add fajitas seasoning and recommended water, cook till reduced (about 3 minutes), warm tortillas and enjoy!

With the brands I used and having 2 tortilla's with about 1oz of meat, veggies, a sprinkle of cheese, and about 1 Tbsp of salsa in each tortilla, this meal was 355 calories.