The best motivation.. I ever had.

Options
Sugar runs in my family on both sides. I was always very thin. I grew up with my grandma who had diabetes. I watched her eat everything she wasn't suppose to and large amounts of it. For about 10 years I watched her go from a very vibrant strong woman to a heavy set couch potato. She lost her vision and slowly the sugar started to effect her mind. When I tried to intervene she would tell me "I love food and if it kills me I'll die happy." But what I seen wasn't happiness but an addiction.

About a month ago I was having problems with my health. I went to the Dr and he told me I had a boarder line sugar disorder. It's not diabetes but it's running higher than what it should be.. and that later on I would probably get it when I'm older. For weeks I cried. All the visions of my grandmother came through my head. I didn't want to die like her.. I didn't want to get sooo big that I couldn't do anything.. I didn't want to be addicted to food. This was the best motivation I ever had. A snap wake up before I was too far gone. Or to wake up with diabetes staring me in the face and not know how to deal with it.

I am not too far gone. I still have a chance to live a healthy life. I am only 145lbs. I am only 24.. I still have a chance to turn around before it's to late. The last thing I want is to carry on the tradition of letting food rule my life. I wanted to put my story on here so that the people that are struggling with eating could read this. I too sometimes hear the ice cream in the freezer calling me... saying eat me you know you want to.

We can beat this :) and live healthy.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good for you. food is really just fuel. there are many ways to get enjoyment without having to eat sugar filled treats.

good luck.
  • Nanita02
    Nanita02 Posts: 20
    Options
    Way to go my frien!!!
    I'm 54 yrs a grandma and u was Talking about ME. The fat grandma who is trying hard to lose this weight! U gave me a wake up call. More determined to make it!
    Thank you!
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    It's sad that you had to see your grandmother in such poor shape, but the best thing to come out of that is to be motivated to make good decisions and live healthier.

It upsets me because my father went from borderline diabetic to diabetic because he eats terribly and he doesn't listen to any positive or negative criticisms concerning his decisions about his health, he brushes it off. Then he found out from his doctor his levels are so bad that if he doesn't change his habits he'll have to inject insulin (which i think terrifies him) but he's still not making a commitment 100%. At some point you have to step back I guess :(
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great story. You still have your whole life ahead of you (and it looks like a little one who wants you around too!). You will find a way to not let food run your life, and live happy and healthy.

Good luck! Thanks for sharing.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    HI, my name is Eric, and I am a food addict. I literally cannot live without the stuff. My stomach starts to growl when I don't eat, and the feeling becomes more severe the longer I go without food. I can't go more than a few hours without my fix. The great thing is that I have learned to be responsible with what I eat. I keep a scale near by so that I can weigh my food and accurately track how much I eat. This keeps me from going crazy. I either don't buy large quantities of the ultra sweet and salty stuff, or just buy small quantities so that I am not tempted to go outside what I know I should on an eating binge. I cook a couple times a week and then enjoy leftovers the other times so that I don't have to cook every day and can spend the time doing other things. I love my fruits, veggies, meats, breads, and starches. For the rest of my life, I will be addicted to food, however, it will not control me. I control what I eat and am better for it.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    Yea I hear ya.....
    when you look at family history it is often a guide line of what you need to safe guard against and structure your food and lifestyle accordingly,
    Things often don't surface till you get to the middle age stage of life ,
    if we can start prevention measures before it catches up to us. That's the key I think,
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    It's sad that you had to see your grandmother in such poor shape, but the best thing to come out of that is to be motivated to make good decisions and live healthier.

It upsets me because my father went from borderline diabetic to diabetic because he eats terribly and he doesn't listen to any positive or negative criticisms concerning his decisions about his health, he brushes it off. Then he found out from his doctor his levels are so bad that if he doesn't change his habits he'll have to inject insulin (which i think terrifies him) but he's still not making a commitment 100%. At some point you have to step back I guess :(
    My Dad was so fit and Healthy he was an ex Naval officer, and an engineer , and fitter and turner, he was also an photographer for weddings and such, he was very knowledgable in chemistry and was a Justice of the peace, he did Marshal arts, boxing, weight lifting wrestling, raced motor bikes, he was always studying and learning new skills, so his life was very full and active oh and father of 9 kids. yet when he got older he developed arthritis, diabetes and heart disease , he passed away of heart attack at the age of 74 after haveing a couple of strokes and health issues, You would never have thought it possible when he was younger that his older years would be like that,
    My Doctor warns that such health issues are often Genetic so armed with this knowledge I am really conciouse of my health
    You just have to start early in the prevention of the age related heath issues and gentic things that occur.
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    HI, my name is Eric, and I am a food addict. I literally cannot live without the stuff. My stomach starts to growl when I don't eat, and the feeling becomes more severe the longer I go without food. I can't go more than a few hours without my fix. The great thing is that I have learned to be responsible with what I eat. I keep a scale near by so that I can weigh my food and accurately track how much I eat. This keeps me from going crazy. I either don't buy large quantities of the ultra sweet and salty stuff, or just buy small quantities so that I am not tempted to go outside what I know I should on an eating binge. I cook a couple times a week and then enjoy leftovers the other times so that I don't have to cook every day and can spend the time doing other things. I love my fruits, veggies, meats, breads, and starches. For the rest of my life, I will be addicted to food, however, it will not control me. I control what I eat and am better for it.

Thank you for this post. I too am a food addict. I loved the last 2 sentences. They gave me hope and encouragement.