Subway Restaurant

Options
2»

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I go to subway fairly often. I always get the black forest ham on 9-grain wheat or Italian. I put 2 american cheese slices, lettuce, tom, onion, mustard and lite mayo. Mine rounds out at a little over 300 cals. Not too bad for a 6" sub! Try the subway club if you get sleepy. It has several different meats on it, but isn't any more calories than a turkey sub.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If it's in wikipedia, it's got to be true!
    Turkey meat and drowsiness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan#Turkey_meat_and_drowsiness

See also: Postprandial somnolence#Turkey and tryptophan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence#Turkey_and_tryptophan

A common assertion is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[57][58][59]

However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[17] Furthermore, post-meal drowsiness may have more to do with what else is consumed along with the turkey and, in particular, carbohydrates.[60] It has been demonstrated in both animal models[61] and humans[62][63][64] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan (an aromatic amino acid) into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in the uptake of tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[65][66] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[61][63] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[10] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"— may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.[61][62][63][64]

I love that expression: Postprandial somnolence. The original posters could have asked, "Wherefore doth my Subway turkey sub induce postprandial somnolence?"
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The flat bread has just about the same amount of carbs and calories as the bread, FYI.
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    The flat bread has just about the same amount of carbs and calories as the bread, FYI.

I was just about to say the same thing. It's not any "healthier," but if it helps reduce sleepiness then I'd say go for it.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If anything, I think people need to be leery of Subway's bread. It's not all cracked up to what it's "supposed" to be especially the 9 grain. For bread to be considered whole wheat, "whole wheat" should be listed as the first ingredient, not enriched wheat. I thought the 9 grain had high fructose corn syrup in it as well. I'm not 100% sure on that though - they may have removed it from their ingredients, finally. Also, that lovely brown color that is so indicative of healthy wheat breads? It comes from a combination of ammonium sulfate (nitrogen and fertilizer) and caramel coloring. Yummmmmm! Not! ;-)

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I was just about to say the same thing. It's not any "healthier," but if it helps reduce sleepiness then I'd say go for it.
    If the bread is causing the sleepiness, it's because of the amount of carbs. So no, it wouldn't help. The only reason to get the flat bread is if you like it better.
  • lizhughes1
    lizhughes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I work in a subway restaurant, have been for 8 years, and I can tell you that it's the bread that is making you sleepy. It's very high in carbs. Very filling. Another good sub you might want to try is the rstb sub with mustard. Also make sure you take the swiss cheese, it has the less fat, the most protein and the less sodium of all our cheeses. Also a few other very healthy options are the Roasted chicken, the ham or the club wich combines rstb, ham and turkey and of course the veggie sub which is the healthiest of all but doesn't keep you full for very long. As for dressings the ones that are ok for you are the regular mustard, honey mustard, sweet onion, and light mayo. Any other sauces are high in fat. And for the light mayo don't go crazy. Don't ever have our cookies if you're trying to lose weights they're 220cal each with 10g of fat per cookie. Soups are very low fat but extremely high in sodium, so be careful with those. If you have a soup at subway you're almost certain to bust your sodium intake. For a healthy dessert you can have our yogourt parfaits, very delicious. You're right about subway being the healthiest fast food restaurant out there. And I am glad to be working in one. Since I get to eat a free sub every day and I know that I'm eating healthy.

Have a great day
    If you have any questions about subway products feel free to ask and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
  • lizhughes1
    Options
    The flatbread is way higher in fat than the whole wheat and way higher in sodium.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat subway almost everyday for Lunch. I usually get wheat bread but I always ask them to remove the inner bread that way I don't eat too much bread.

Its to the point where when I go in they just make my sandwich bu memory.
  • lizhughes1
    Options
    If the bread makes you sleepy how about having a salad, our salads are pretty big and you can double up on the chicken or turkey so it will fill up longer.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that forever28. In the "9 grain bread," I love how all the grains but wheat are below 2%!
    9-GRAIN WHEAT

Enriched wheat flour, water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the
    following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale,
    brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum
    , yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate,
    ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium
    iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural
    flavor, enzymes. Contains wheat.

But the really strange thing is why they call it 9 grain when there seem to 10 different kinds of grain.

(Maybe they don't count triticale since it's a hybrid of wheat and rye, both of which are already one of the 9.)
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that forever28. In the "9 grain bread," I love how all the grains but wheat are below 2%!
    9-GRAIN WHEAT

Enriched wheat flour, water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the
    following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale,
    brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum
    , yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate,
    ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium
    iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural
    flavor, enzymes. Contains wheat.

But the really strange thing is why they call it 9 grain when there seem to 10 different kinds of grain.

(Maybe they don't count triticale since it's a hybrid of wheat and rye, both of which are already one of the 9.)

My thoughts exactly. :-) BYOB!! Bring your own bread folks! haha :drinker:
  • purplelady87
    purplelady87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have a salad if anyone is so worried about bread intake. Subway is a healthier choice if made the right way. Jared did lose a lot of weight by eating subway with bread!
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    We all like different things and have differing opinions on healthy eating. I say get whatever you please.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If the bread makes you sleepy how about having a salad, our salads are pretty big and you can double up on the chicken or turkey so it will fill up longer.

Fantastic idea! And thanks for all the ideas Lizhughes :flowerforyou:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but I have the sandwich maker at Subway scoop out the inside of the bread before adding the ingredients. I work at a hospital and learned this trick from the docs who can't afford to get sleepy during their shift. I end up with a nice shell or "boat" of bread to hold the sandwich together without all of the unnecessary bulk and carbs.
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    I used to enjoy a subway as Treat if I went into the town, but I was told they contained alot of salt, and also Ive stopped eating bread since I started with MFP so ive stayed clear of Subway , I do miss them but the bread always makes me feel bloated afterwards , maybe one day I will have one again :-)
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Turkey does have that chemical in it that does contribute to sleep plus the bread probably increases that effect. You are probably susceptible to it as well.
    for that chemical to really effect you, you would have to eat your weight in turkey. sometimes when people eat, they just get tired if they get really full. Which is why most people think they are tired from the turkey after thanksgiving.