No meat on Fridays...so what to cook?

Options
So...nomally during Lent I have no problem figuring out things to cook. But since joining MFP in January I've really cut back on the stuff I would normally make during this time of year that are meatless (mac and cheese, pasta, pierogies, Latkes, cheese pizza, fried fish). Now I am at a loss and need ideas...I am staying away from anything with pasta, white bread, and rice for the most part. I don't mind having that stuff once in a while or in small portions, but I am really looking for ideas for healthy meatless dinner ideas. Anyone have any great meal ideas? Dinner is my biggest meal and I need fullfilling dishes that taste great.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos

crab cakes

stuffed flounder/tilapia

cheese and bean burritos
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had stuffed peppers for lunch. I put in onions, spinach, mushrooms and celery. I sauteed the veggies. I put 3 egg whites and one yolk into a container and shook it up. Added some herbs and seasoning to the egg mixture. Once the veggies were soft, I added them to the egg mixture and poured them into the peppers. I baked them for 40 minutes with kitchen foil covering them. Took them out and sprinkled about 25g of cheddar on top. I am hoping to get some light cheddar once I have used the regular cheddar. I also could of done with a bit less cheese to be honest, couldn't get all of it on the peppers lol. Put it back into the oven and let the cheese melt.

I had chicken breast with this, but you could add these to what acg67 suggested or something.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    crustless veggie quiche, eggs will fill you up for sure!

zucchini lasagna (just don't use the ground turkey): http://www.wholeliving.com/133082/zucchini-ribbon-lasagna?fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=home_multiline

What about replacing the pasta in a meatless pasta dish with spaghetti squash? You could make shrimp scampi with spaghetti sqash!

Finally, soup is always a good, meatless meal! cauliflower soup: http://ibuyflour.blogspot.com/2012/01/roasted-cauliflower-soup.html

I eat a grain free diet, makes me have to be kind of clever with the low carb, meatless meals when I want to cut the meat out (which isn't too often haha)
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    baked/grilled fish
    'toast' pizza- whole grain bread, reduced fat mozerella, meatless sauce, veggies. I think if you google it there are also recipes that use eggplant slices as the base for the 'pizza'
    veggie stir fry sans rice (or with a little brown rice)
    whole wheat spaghetti (if it's mainly regular pasta you are staying away from)
    use spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti
    tuna wraps in lettuce, veggie wraps in lettuce, or use whole wheat tortilla for a better 'bread' option
  • Spacemonkeycommander
    Options
    Veggies, fruit, peanut butter & jelly on sprouted bread, beans, salads, quinoa, I don't eat meat everyday!
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    vegetarian chili and if you have extra calories left add some sour cream :)
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I have been thinking back on the meat all the time and I plan on using my meatless days in Lent as a jump starting poing, so these meals should give me a good idea as to what I can start cooking.